Former straight pool champions react to news of John Schmidt's 626

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
now, now, Lou has feelings too ;) lol

That's the problem. Some people have to many feelings and end up being "sensitive".

Then again, crazy don't know their crazy either so, the more sensitive a person is, the less sensitive they think they are.

Kind of funny when you think about it.

Jeff

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
The only way John could satisfy your requirements is if he was playing next on the table Mosconi just played on, but then, the chances are the humidity level wouldn't have been the same, so you'd still have objections.

I thought about the humidity but I felt that would not fair to the person trying.

So what do you know about shaving the slate around the pockets?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This why I love AZB. It brings all the kooks out of the woodwork. I especially love it when they fight among themselves. It's very entertaining.

From the get go I expressed admiration and respect for what John achieved by running 626 balls. Sure, it's easy to find ways to pick it apart but in my mind that does not diminish what he accomplished. I put myself more in the school of thought echoed here by the players quoted in the OP.

Bravo to John Schmidt who fought hard and worked tirelessly to achieve his goal of running more balls than the great Willie Mosconi had run, and in the process beat a record that had stood as the ultimate achievement in pool for over six decades. He never allowed bad luck or disappointments to stop him in his quest. Every time he got knocked down he got back on that horse and tried again.

If he achieved nothing else, his name will be a part of pool history for a long, long time.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why shouldn't his run be comparable?

Here is one example why they are not comparable as a whole:

Take the fastest dragster in 1950. Look it up. What were the:

Track lengths
Track material
Finish times
Outside temps
Weight/size of car
Weight/size of drivers
Horsepower limitations or not?
Wheel size
Accuracy of clocks
Rules in general

I could go on and on and on........

Now.....lol.....

Compare all ^^^^^^^^^^ to the fastest dragster of today.

Is there a difference in finish times?....lol
Is there a difference in horsepower?...lol
How about weight difference in cars?...lol
How about track material?...lol
How about rules and limitations?...lol

Was the driver in 1950 less skilled just because his equipment was inferior compared to todays equipment? I think not but, he did the best he could with what he had to do with.

Same with pool and other sports. Cues are better, felt is faster and stays cleaner longer, balls are better and stay cleaner longer, room conditions are far better....

Look, I understand that some people are trolls. I'm not saying you are one of them but, if you can't see those points and how they paint the picture, well, I don't know what to say other than:

A record will fall no matter who sets it. Some will stand longer than others but, ALL records fall eventually andnfor all sorts of reasons.

A particular record may be taken down by someone you don't like but, that is life. You should have learned you weren't the best at everything in kindergarten, just like you should have learned you weren't the worst at everything either.

You, me, we.....well, we are who and what we are and there is absolutely nothing you, me ,we can do to change that regardless of how bad you want to or how much you HATE it........or.......even how much you disagree with it.

In the end, when it comes to deciding if the world 14.1 exhibition record has been officially broken or not, well, just like my opinion, your opinion and a dollar won't even buy a soda.

Jeff

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I think perhaps it's time a few of us get together and go to the pool room where this run took place.

They've got to have security cameras set up around the place. We'll give the owner a choice..plata o plomo.

Then we shall see

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Damn Jay I cannot give you any more green.

This why I love AZB. It brings all the kooks out of the woodwork. I especially love it when they fight among themselves. It's very entertaining.

From the get go I expressed admiration and respect for what John achieved by running 626 balls. Sure, it's easy to find ways to pick it apart but in my mind that does not diminish what he accomplished. I put myself more in the school of thought echoed here by the players quoted in the OP.

Bravo to John Schmidt who fought hard and worked tirelessly to achieve his goal of running more balls than the great Willie Mosconi had run, and in the process beat a record that had stood as the ultimate achievement in pool for over six decades. He never allowed bad luck or disappointments to stop him in his quest. Every time he got knocked down he got back on that horse and tried again.

If he achieved nothing else, his name will be a part of pool history for a long, long time.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure English is hard for you but maybe there is someone there like an American English teacher that can help you understand. I really don't have that much time to help you understand what I'm saying everytime I post something. Please, go and work on your American English.

and you, your nothing but a few lines of random thoughts in a forum crying like a baby and one might ask why? Why do you care? Why are you foaming at the mouth?

I know I really don't care.

Maybe it's time to just call them and see what's really in their hand. :(
You apparently don't have the time to help yourself understand what your about to write before you write it.

I am trying to have an actual conversation with you like human beings are capable of.

The only thing your doing is going of the deep end.

Someone who can explain themselves usually will. You simply can't, at least that what it seems like.

You should probably take your "Russians" bs to the npr, you can discuss that there for the rest of eternity.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
Here is one example why they are not comparable as a whole:

Take the fastest dragster in 1950. Look it up. What were the:

Track lengths
Track material
Finish times
Outside temps
Weight/size of car
Weight/size of drivers
Horsepower limitations or not?
Wheel size
Accuracy of clocks
Rules in general

I could go on and on and on........

Now.....lol.....

Compare all ^^^^^^^^^^ to the fastest dragster of today.

Is there a difference in finish times?....lol
Is there a difference in horsepower?...lol
How about weight difference in cars?...lol
How about track material?...lol
How about rules and limitations?...lol

Was the driver in 1950 less skilled just because his equipment was inferior compared to todays equipment? I think not but, he did the best he could with what he had to do with.

Same with pool and other sports. Cues are better, felt is faster and stays cleaner longer, balls are better and stay cleaner longer, room conditions are far better....

Look, I understand that some people are trolls. I'm not saying you are one of them but, if you can't see those points and how they paint the picture, well, I don't know what to say other than:

A record will fall no matter who sets it. Some will stand longer than others but, ALL records fall eventually andnfor all sorts of reasons.

A particular record may be taken down by someone you don't like but, that is life. You should have learned you weren't the best at everything in kindergarten, just like you should have learned you weren't the worst at everything either.

You, me, we.....well, we are who and what we are and there is absolutely nothing you, me ,we can do to change that regardless of how bad you want to or how much you HATE it........or.......even how much you disagree with it.

In the end, when it comes to deciding if the world 14.1 exhibition record has been officially broken or not, well, just like my opinion, your opinion and a dollar won't even buy a soda.

Jeff

You know I'm not going to read all this right?

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
You apparently don't have the time to help yourself understand what your about to write before you write it.

I am trying to have an actual conversation with you like human beings are capable of.

The only thing your doing is going of the deep end.

Someone who can explain themselves usually will. You simply can't, at least that what it seems like.

You should probably take your "Russians" bs to the npr, you can discuss that there for the rest of eternity.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

all that work and it just goes nowhere.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I had hundreds of days that just were not fun. People think a lot of pros can do this, but I want to see how they react after they get a skid at 390 or a miscue at 275, day after day." - John Schmidt

This sentence in the article that OP posted kinda stuck with me. In my poolroom, I had several discussions with other players whether other players could also run 600+ balls, and we believed there would be some that could if they thought it was worth the effort. And because there's not much money to be won and the pros shoot pool to pay their bills, we assumed that's why no-one ever tried anything like this.

But reading this article, it occurred to me that it takes something other than just being able to shoot the required amount of racks. Seems to me it takes a tremendous amount of willpower to get over all those disappointments of seeing a real long run end short of the 526-mark, day after day, and motivating yourself again to start over. I have great respect for that, besides of course achieving the record itself. I think you would be hard pressed to find another player that has this in him.

Also, a question: I saw the term 'treetop' used in the article, can someone explain what that means in the context of straight pool?

Lastly, regarding the discussion going for 4 pages: don't feed the troll.

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
More accurately: about what he may or may not have done.

Lou Figueroa
where’s the tape?

My question is when the video becomes available are you going to watch it from start to finish?

I for one will just accept that it happened. No one is asking me for money.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
My question is when the video becomes available are you going to watch it from start to finish?

I will most def watch the ENTIRE THING....

Not bashin ya Lou, but, if you are going to contest someone's already accepted accomplishment, you should at the very minimum use the proper terminology. It is not "tape" and I seriously doubt it will be on any sort of "tape"...

Footage, video, recording..... Seriously, this whole thing is a total joke. JS is one badass 14.1 player and everyone who is HATING, should go look in the mirror and realize you aint nothing in the scope of all of what he accomplished!

Trent

p.s. I been trying to stay out of this whole load of bullcrap, but, it is beyond RIDICULOUS!!!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't know -- it's been long enough that I've kinda lost interest.

If what you're really asking is if I'm going to do a forensic analysis of it, no. There are others here that do that kind of thing far better than moi.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will most def watch the ENTIRE THING....

Not bashin ya Lou, but, if you are going to contest someone's already accepted accomplishment, you should at the very minimum use the proper terminology. It is not "tape" and I seriously doubt it will be on any sort of "tape"...

Footage, video, recording..... Seriously, this whole thing is a total joke. JS is one badass 14.1 player and everyone who is HATING, should go look in the mirror and realize you aint nothing in the scope of all of what he accomplished!

Trent

p.s. I been trying to stay out of this whole load of bullcrap, but, it is beyond RIDICULOUS!!!

Good grief, talk about nitpicking.

Tape, smape. It's a generic term and everyone knows there's no actual tape. It's not unlike people talking about what someone else said here when it reality it's about what people have written.

Lou Figueroa
talk about
beyond ridiculous

JC

Coos Cues
I don't know -- it's been long enough that I've kinda lost interest.

If what you're really asking is if I'm going to do a forensic analysis of it, no. There are others here that do that kind of thing far better than moi.

Lou Figueroa

I like to play straight pool. Watching high runs is like watching paint dry or grass grow though.

I don't think I'm unusual in this regard. That was my thought about it.

Hope he figures out a way to monetize his accomplishment but that also seems unlikely to me.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Good grief, talk about nitpicking.

Lou Figueroa
talk about
beyond ridiculous

I have always had a lot of respect for you on here, always keep it clean and usually you hit the nail on the head on most topics.

I feel shame for all of you who would rather choose to TEAR DOWN/ CALL AN ESTABLISHED PRO A LIAR(and all the industry people who witnessed it and signed off on it) than celebrate such an AWESOME LIFETIME ACCOMPLISHMENT!

Take it or leave it, it is my opinion and it will be my last post here on this topic.

Trent from Toledo