cue for a novice

frige

Registered
A little background. I have played a bit in various pool halls and I am ok. In other words cannon fodder. Lol. I am putting a very old table together in my even older house and need to get a couple of house cues. And maybe a ok one for around $100 bucks. When I search for cues there are a million out there so what would be a good quality cue for pretty much a beginner?

sgengaro86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have read the cuetec one piece house cues are very solid and you can probably use that for yourself. In the short term, that’s also probably a solid cue for you to play with until you really start to understand what you like in a cue, etc. If you are going to buy a cue, I would try to step up and get a low deflection shaft and learn with that!

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A little background. I have played a bit in various pool halls and I am ok. In other words cannon fodder. Lol. I am putting a very old table together in my even older house and need to get a couple of house cues. And maybe a ok one for around $100 bucks. When I search for cues there are a million out there so what would be a good quality cue for pretty much a beginner?

Contact David at Schmelke. Lucasi also makes one piece house cues.

frige

Registered
Those look like what I am looking for. What weight and length should I use? I am sure it is a matter of preference but I need something that is forgiving of a amateur.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Those look like what I am looking for. What weight and length should I use? I am sure it is a matter of preference but I need something that is forgiving of a amateur.

58 inches unless you are very tall than 60 inches
19 ounces should be fine

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dufferin house cues. About 40bux apiece. Play great. https://www.seyberts.com/house-cues/dufferin-hi-run-house-cue/

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Go with a Schmelke. I hear even the cheap stuff of theirs plays like a 500 dollar cue. Youll think youve just hit the Jackpot.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I recommend go to ebay-
BUY A BRAND NEW DALE PERRY-
ENORMOUS GREAT VALUE FOR EXCELLENT PLAYING CUES!!!
$$ 99.00 AND UP!

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recommend go to ebay-
BUY A BRAND NEW DALE PERRY-
ENORMOUS GREAT VALUE FOR EXCELLENT PLAYING CUES!!!
$$ 99.00 AND UP!

I bought a cue from Dale Perry once for about $130 and it wasn't a bad cue.

As a matter of fact, I really liked the butt end. The wrap was nice, the wood was nice, and the finish was nice. I also liked the weight and balance of the cue.

The only thing I didn't like about it was the shaft. I got the standard shaft and it had a lot of deflection and the wood seemed to be soft and I never could polish it down enough to make it real smooth. Every Schmelke shaft I've tried has been 100 times better than the shaft that came with my Dale Perry.

With a good shaft, I'm sure they would be a pretty nice cheap cue.

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
YEARS AGO A BUDDY OF MINE bought a schmele , im thinking when they were first around , id say he bought one in late 80ties , and tried to be a seller , he had a price list and i think the cues back then were 80 bucks . and buddy was selling big mark up ;

i know at the time it had a weird joint connector . his dad was a ***** and tried to screw me over lol , his dad was showing me cue pics and the price sheet just happened to be on coffee table and i picked it up . and prices were alot different , his dad snatched the paper , and i laughed . he had a billiard book and contacted them thru a small print ad in the back . wont never forget that lol

he passed away 10 years ago at 40 .

if they are anything like they used to be . i wouldnt use it to check gas level in a tank .

Last edited: