Height of pool table?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I am curious why is a pool table has a height of less than 3 feet? Also do you think that if we raised it up it would make play easier or harder? Also also how difficult would it be to do this?

Thanks

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Harder for the shorter player. Your hips should clear the border laminate for maximum reach. Stools or platforms should be standard equipment but they aren't sexy enough.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I am curious why is a pool table has a height of less than 3 feet? Also do you think that if we raised it up it would make play easier or harder? Also also how difficult would it be to do this?

Thanks
Seriously???????????????????? Back to 'Ignore' you go. Please get a life.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
jimmy house cat over here

giphy.gif

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

Back in the day a lot of midgets used to play pool, but they had a hard time seeing over the table to make sure you were not cheating when playing them. So they petitioned the pool table makers to lower the height so the average midget (which is 3' 8" of course as anyone familiar with science knows) can see over the rails.

Common knowledge.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was legit curious. This was a serious thread. I dont know why pool is the height it is. Some days it feels like it should be higher. So I was curious what would happen if we made it higher.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I was legit curious. This was a serious thread. I dont know why pool is the height it is. Some days it feels like it should be higher. So I was curious what would happen if we made it higher.

Because the WPA rules state that pool tables must be between 29.25" and 31", any other height is illegal and subject to penalty including imprisonment of not less than 6-12 months in a secure detention center.

I suppose you would have to go back to whomever invented pool to find out the answer. Why are there 12 inches in a foot instead of 11 or 13??? Why is an inch the length it is instead of slightly longer or shorter??

My guess is that was most comfortable height for the people playing at the time or that was the average height of pool tables at the time the rule was determined.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because the WPA rules state that pool tables must be between 29.25" and 31", any other height is illegal and subject to penalty including imprisonment of not less than 6-12 months in a secure detention center.

I suppose you would have to go back to whomever invented pool to find out the answer. Why are there 12 inches in a foot instead of 11 or 13??? Why is an inch the length it is instead of slightly longer or shorter??

My guess is that was most comfortable height for the people playing at the time or that was the average height of pool tables at the time the rule was determined.

Do you ever have days where you wish the pool table was higher?

I can not find much on google about height. Most is about size of table in length and width. So I was wondering if anyone knew.

The answer to your inch question.

https://www.britannica.com/science/inch

https://www.factmonster.com/math-sc...n ancient times, the,girdle, as it was called.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My table is about 5” higher. I put blocks under it during installation. It’s perfect for me. Ymmv.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a chance to play at Breakroom Billiards in Rapid City, SD (many of you will know this is the pool hall Shane Van Boening learned to play). First thing I noticed is that the tables are a few inches shorter than where I play back in Tennessee. The Diamond tables are so high that it is impossible to level my stroke when within a foot of the rail. Which poolroom has it wrong? I’m guessing that Breakroom Billiards has it right.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most manufacturers hane a 'recommended height' for their tables. GC are recommended to be 30' to the top of the slate during setup or 31' to the top rail.
The Gandy tables in Beenies were about 28' to the rail. There were no 'rules' until
the WPA ( I don't know how the came into power ) set its table specs.
Every pool room I've been in has their own way of setting up their tables.
Even though I'm 6 ft 1' , I prefer the lower 28' tables. Easier to level out
your stroke.
But, in the end, if you're 'on the road' , you have to play on whatever is in
the bar or pool room if you want to 'get the cash' !
Good luck
Pushout forever
ps
Thats for you BB ! lol

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Snooker table is slightly lower than an American pool table.

Some say the bigger and lower snooker table takes more physical agility. However, I play on both and have never noticed a difference.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Some say the bigger and lower snooker table takes more physical agility. However, I play on both and have never noticed a difference.

Are you sure? I believe that the snooker table is slightly taller. No?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I think that every regulation snooker table I've played on has been higher than every regulation pool table. Google... google... google....

The WPA specs state that the bed of the pool table will be between 29.25 and 31 inches above the floor.

The WPBSA specs state that from the floor to the top of the rail will be between 33.5 and 34.5 inches.

Clearly the average heights put the snooker table higher although we have to be a little careful because the height of rails is not specified in either document.

The lowest possible height of a snooker rail is 33.5 inches. The highest height of a pool table bed is 31 inches. Since a 2.5-inch rail-top-to-bed height would be very difficult to play on for either game, I conclude that the two allowed height ranges do not overlap and all regulation snooker tables are higher than all regulation pool tables.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
snooker tables are always significantly higher
in my experience. i am six feet tall, op has a point
pool tables are too low

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a chance to play at Breakroom Billiards in Rapid City, SD (many of you will know this is the pool hall Shane Van Boening learned to play). First thing I noticed is that the tables are a few inches shorter than where I play back in Tennessee. The Diamond tables are so high that it is impossible to level my stroke when within a foot of the rail. Which poolroom has it wrong? I’m guessing that Breakroom Billiards has it right.

Are you being serious or are you yanking my chain?