(stupid?) idea for a product

PKM

OB-1 Kenobi
Silver Member
I was thinking for those of us who don't have a home table, and want to do some kind of stroke practice: It would be cool to have a surface with a strip of cloth just wide and long enough so you can do some practice strokes with a CB, like a little alignment drill. Sort of the pool version of the executive golf putting thing. Obviously it wouldn't be slate but as long as it can create a smooth enough surface. Maybe something you can put on a desk.

I'm sure it would have a lucrative potential market of about 3-4 people, but what do you think?

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
jumptoconclusions2xk.jpg

No just kidding, that's actually a pretty sporty idea

TrackKing

Registered
I just don't see the point. If you want to practice your stoke, find a surface that's about the same height as a pool table, find something perfectly strait (I use a crack right down the center of my table) and see if you are stroking it strait. I do this every once in a while, but hardly ever, because the best way to practice your stroke is to play. And just to say it, there is no "correct" stroke. no player plays the same as another, so why practise a stroke if it's something that comes natural.

Hope this helps.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
TrackKing said:
I just don't see the point. If you want to practice your stoke, find a surface that's about the same height as a pool table, find something perfectly strait (I use a crack right down the center of my table) and see if you are stroking it strait. I do this every once in a while, but hardly ever, because the best way to practice your stroke is to play. And just to say it, there is no "correct" stroke. no player plays the same as another, so why practise a stroke if it's something that comes natural.

Hope this helps.

HUH!!!!!!!...randyg

PKM

OB-1 Kenobi
Silver Member
TrackKing said:
...why practise a stroke if it's something that comes natural.

Hope this helps.

Good point, I'll give a cue to a 4-year old then I'll find the perfect "natural" stroke, uncontaminated by outside advice
:p

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
You see small setups like this at valley forge a lot so you can test hit cues at a vendors booth without a lot fo space being taken up.

mikev_wvufan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a good Idea. Would it have rails or just something flat. Either way sounds like a good idea.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you aware that most tables and desks we use are close to "pool table" height (about 30 inches)? Check it out for yourself. So we have a good practice table nearby almost anywhere we are. As far as making a practice "strip" to lay down on a table to stroke on, that may not be such a bad idea.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to have a "flip down" surface (Simonis covered 1" MDF), that could be raised back up to the shop wall after use. When it was lowered, the legs lowered out to the side, away from the wall. The table surface was reinforced on the sides & through the center, with some 2 x 4s. It had 3 rails. I could have put pockets on the outside corner & side, but didn't have a need to do so.

This was an excellent substitute for no Pool Table.

TIMBER1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
entry hall table

I had the ideal of making a practice table that doubled as a entry hall table. With felt, rails and a couple of pockets. You would be able to do a variety of helpful exercises and satify the need to just hit some balls.

bsmutz

Fearlessly Happy
Silver Member
Taking the idea a bit farther, how about if there was a pocket at the end of a seven or eight foot strip with a ball return? Make the strip just an 1/8" wider than a ball and if you hit the sides, a trap door in front of the hole pops up and rejects the ball. You could use a laser beam on each side to activate the door. They could easily be installed in restaurants, airports, bus stations, bars, rest rooms, meeting rooms, etc. so we could be amused nearly everywhere we go. $1 for 10 shots. You could even have a pool cue that lies neatly on the side with proximity alarms that go off if someone tries to steal the cue or the cue ball. You could score points for each successful endeavor as well as bonus points for balls hit extremely hard or just soft enough to barely fall in the hole. Wall mounted as CB suggested.

gforces1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought of this too

I had thought about this too. Basically, one corner pocket with a long rail and just enough short rail to make into a box. Basically- a 1.3x9 pool table.

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
just buy a 7 foot real slate table and put one end and a side up against the walls, small room needed. You can practice from one end and one side but still use the room for other things.

Last edited:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have actually done this too. It makes a great table for practicing one's banks & Kicks, plus making you think about where your Cue Ball is going to wind up.

It ain't love, but it ain't bad...

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems to me that a local pool hall would have some old cushion rails lying around or the owner would save a couple for you. It would not take a whole lot to attach them to some 2X6s. Double up a couple of sheets of ?? plywood, use some strong lag bolts and some old cloth from a hall and there you go. Depending on the effort you put into it you could make a pretty good practice table that could be used for several things.

For $10.00 spent at the local pool hall you might be surprised with what you could make.

BTW Simonis cloth is something like 80-90% worsted wool. The same stuff they make men?s suits out of. Might be surprised with what you could find at the local thrift store in terms of overcoats that could be converted.

Personally, I like the fold up 7? foot table. Look around there is probably some old piece of junk at a bar or a dealer that could be converted for a garage or basement. Might have to canabalize a few to make a reasonable table.

I have enjoyed making something out of nothing for many years -- it is even more fun when its useful. Just get started something will come of it.

whitey2

Time Stand Still
Silver Member
Been there, done that

Hi,

It's not a stupid idea. Any (type of) table is better than no table.

A while back, I setup a piece of glass that was a large coffee table top, covered in
real pool table cloth, with a real rail at the end. It was very cool to have an area to
stroke before I drove out to play in a tournament or to match up.

JoeW is very correct about the cloth in the previous post. I spent $8 for enough
cloth to cover the 9-foot table I built at a "thrift type" store.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Practice

whitey2 said:
Hi,

It's not a stupid idea. Any (type of) table is better than no table.
Any type of practice is better than no practice. If you don't have room for a pool table then I even like the idea of getting a 7 foot table and putting one side next to the wall. You could shoot a lot of different shots just using half of the table and it would better than not having a table at all.

whitey2

Time Stand Still
Silver Member
Wow, I found an old picture

Wow, I found an old picture of that glass tabletop covered in pool cloth with a rail.
It's amazing what one will do to be able to practice.

027_large.jpg

(Picture expires in 21 days)

Last edited:

iasaxman

Wanna get played?
Silver Member
randyg said:
HUH!!!!!!!...randyg

You show me how the best players in the world have identical strokes, and I'll agree with your reaction. Until then, I know many people with many different pool strokes. One in particular is a "world-class" player, and none of them have the same stroke.

If it works for you, maximize it...if it doesn't work then look for aid.

Never let someone tell you your stroke is wrong unless you have asked them for their opinion. Then ask them what their credentials are and how they earned those credentials.

Look at every professional sport...golfers with different swings, basketball players with different shots, baseball players with different throwing motions and swings, etc. Draw your own conclusions as to what the perfect anything is.

Just my opinion,

Dave