So, what do girls do with their, uh, stuff... to get proper form?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
This is gonna be a dumb thread that will get a lot of wisecracks, but I am hoping for one legit serious answer :)

I've been giving lessons and ran into something funny... a girl that I'm trying to teach pockets balls pretty well, but in most situations can't bring herself to get down low over the stick. She keeps trying to do an inverted chicken wing with her back arm, and I showed her how staying low over the stick and holding the back arm properly will help her see where she's aiming and deliver the stroke in that direction. But she said "if I hold the stick the way you're telling me it goes right into my boob." (more or less).

I got down into my stance and realized it's true, the stick is very close to my left pec (I'm a lefty) and goes up a bit on my backswing.

So what to women do to deal with this? She's trying to go sort of above the shelf, hence the chicken wing. Are you supposed to go between? I tried squinting at videos of alison and karen and at times it seems like between, and other times it seems like they ignore the problem boob and just go directly across it.

lodini

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CreeDo said:
This is gonna be a dumb thread that will get a lot of wisecracks, but I am hoping for one legit serious answer :)

I've been giving lessons and ran into something funny... a girl that I'm trying to teach pockets balls pretty well, but in most situations can't bring herself to get down low over the stick. She keeps trying to do an inverted chicken wing with her back arm, and I showed her how staying low over the stick and holding the back arm properly will help her see where she's aiming and deliver the stroke in that direction. But she said "if I hold the stick the way you're telling me it goes right into my boob." (more or less).

I got down into my stance and realized it's true, the stick is very close to my left pec (I'm a lefty) and goes up a bit on my backswing.

So what to women do to deal with this? She's trying to go sort of above the shelf, hence the chicken wing. Are you supposed to go between? I tried squinting at videos of alison and karen and at times it seems like between, and other times it seems like they ignore the problem boob and just go directly across it.

I don't think that "between" is the answer. At least, that's not a miracle I could perform! I've had this problem too:eek: ... I have adjusted, and now I find my stroke runs right along side "it" :) She will have to find where it is most comfortable for her. It's not going to be the same as you, necessarily. Just like a really tall person might have to adjust and use a slightly different form than a short person.

Last edited:

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CreeDo said:

Most of the girls I have seen play around town here don't have to worry about anything being in the way. The ones that do - I see them stand off to the side a little bit more or a little bit more square. I don't recall ever seeing them go between but anything is possible. If I can get my wife to post on here I will let her explain what she does.

BVal

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never had this problem but it seems to me that female golfers and others often wear a sports bra. I will not take the opportunity to make a joke though many come to mind:D

Probably hear about this one but, I point my left toe at the object ball and move my right foot away from the stick to allow me to the "throw" the stick like a softball. Using this stance the stick comes nowhere near my nipple (puns once again deferred)

Last edited:

dimes33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
she may need to learn another stance and not get down so far on shots.i know its always taught to stay down but i know good players that stand farther away than most.i dont see another option,well one that i would suggest anyways:)

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
CreeDo said:

You should go to the "Ask the Pros" section and pose this question to Sarah Rousey and Melissa Herndon.

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
Skip worrying about the women - go find a really big guy, with man-boobs, and ask HIM what HE does with his stroke. :p

firehawk062

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny... after reading your post, I was compelled to put my cue together and find somewhere in my house that was close to "pool table height". I guess I don't really pay much attention, but I think the cue stays just beside it. Occasionally there is contact, but they have been there quite a while , so I just don't think I notice it! I used to joke that it was an "extra" bridge! All kidding aside, it shouldn't get in the way (so to speak) enough to be an issue. Hope this helps! ;)

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Indeed. Most that I have seen who need their hoo-has out of the way stand off to the side a little bit. It doesn't seem to hinder their game at all. I think really they're just focused on the cue/ball/game and not their bodies.

I mean in pool, we're all different. At first I tried to copy a pro who is at least 6" taller than me, until I realized that his stance/stroke/etc didn't fit my body type. I'm just too short! So I had to adjust, and never gave it much a though. It came about naturally. See the ball, hit the ball, make the ball.

BVal said:
Most of the girls I have seen play around town here don't have to worry about anything being in the way. The ones that do - I see them stand off to the side a little bit more or a little bit more square. I don't recall ever seeing them go between but anything is possible. If I can get my wife to post on here I will let her explain what she does.

BVal

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
This Ga Young-Kim's stance
http://www.gayoungkim.us/

Below is Jasmin. I play pool with a lady that we call Miss "Twin Towers," she kinda put her left shoulder forward, so her stance is more sideways that usual.

Attachments

• tvtisch42.jpg
    tvtisch42.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 859

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I played a lot of women in my last 15 years playing. I was a nurse and we'd all go out to the clubs to play pool and dance after our 3PM- 11PM shift. Most nights I was the only male in the group. I never heard any of them complain thier boobs got in the way of the cue and believe me if it did they weren't bashful...they would tell me. I think they just ignore anything that's non-human that touches that area. Of course I don't know where they let the cue rest as I never stared.:rolleyes: Johnnyt

Last edited:

Thunderball

Auto rep for belly laughs
Silver Member
The question is....how many clicked this thread with no intention of posting,but saw there was a picture attached?

<------guilty.Geeze I'm a pervert.

jimmy-leggs

A GREAT DAY
Silver Member
I was curious as well ,so I emailed Karen Corr and asked her.Somehow she got hold of my address,flew down,boot f***ed me,set my house on fire,the blaze got out control burning down the neiborhood.
I'm now in the hospital,Karen's right by my side,we are getting married this weekend.But she won't answer the question.:eek:
just kiddin Karen,love ya.:)

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Thunderball said:
The question is....how many clicked this thread with no intention of posting,but saw there was a picture attached?

<------guilty.Geeze I'm a pervert.

Dude...totally "busted" me there! LOL :D

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I recall at least one previous thread on this subject (a year or two back), and there were some excellent posts iirc. Do a search on this topic, I'm sure you can come up with all of the keywords that may have been used in the thread (but stay away from "hooters" 'cause all you'll get are Hal and smorgie posts ;) ).

Dave

iasaxman

Wanna get played?
Silver Member
I've not personally taught well-endowed women, but Joe Villalpondo was giving pointers to a girl who had this problem...

He told her to take her grip-elbow and move it further away from her side. This was the new static location. As long as the girl adapts her stroke so it is still in-line, the "obstacle" is not an issue any longer. It requires her to lean more toward the cue, but it allows her to still get down on the shot.

It leads to a more natural stroke still, allows her to get low over her cue, and doesn't constrict her stroke. She may only have to more her elbow out a few inches to make the necessary adjustment.

I guess it does feel a little awkward at first, but changing anything with the stroke, bridge, or grip will. Enough practice with it and it will become second nature.

Good luck,

Dave