Did SVB Cheat Earl on the Break in TAR 22?

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Earl feels like SVB cheated him on the break the last 2 days of the match? What do you guys think about that?

Was there a stipulation that they were going to break the balls hard? What about pattern racking?

What really pissed Earl off about the way SVB was breaking?

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl feels like SVB cheated him on the break the last 2 days of the match? What do you guys think about that?

Was there a stipulation that they were going to break the balls hard? What about pattern racking?

What really pissed Earl off about the way SVB was breaking?

I don't believe there were any breaking stipulations, other than 9 ball on the spot.

Earl was pissed off that Shane wasn't breaking them hard enough. I remember him saying at one point that Shane "wasn't even making a legal break". I think he was referring to him not breaking hard enough to get 3 balls up to the headstring.

I feel that if they didn't have any stipulations to break hard, Shane was well withing his right to play how he needed to in order to win the money. I really thought he wasn't breaking soft - it wasn't a Donnie Mills/Corey break. Shane's was more a medium speed break.

Shane is a more cerebral player and payed attention to how the balls were breaking. He changed his spin and speed to start making balls and get a shot on the one. Earl was blasting them and hoping to get a shot while Shane was playing for a shot.

If Earl didn't like it, he should have payed attention to how SVB was hitting them and mimick it. Other than doing that, he didn't have a leg to stand on in his complaint.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I don't believe there were any breaking stipulations, other than 9 ball on the spot.

Earl was pissed off that Shane wasn't breaking them hard enough. I remember him saying at one point that Shane "wasn't even making a legal break". I think he was referring to him not breaking hard enough to get 3 balls up to the headstring.

I feel that if they didn't have any stipulations to break hard, Shane was well withing his right to play how he needed to in order to win the money. I really thought he wasn't breaking soft - it wasn't a Donnie Mills/Corey break. Shane's was more a medium speed break.

Shane is a more cerebral player and payed attention to how the balls were breaking. He changed his spin and speed to start making balls and get a shot on the one. Earl was blasting them and hoping to get a shot while Shane was playing for a shot.

If Earl didn't like it, he should have payed attention to how SVB was hitting them and mimick it. Other than doing that, he didn't have a leg to stand on in his complaint.

That's kind of what I thought was the case. Just thought Earl was referring to a rule they had when he said that to SVB during the post match interview. Guess he was just making an excuse.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Earl had the rules dictated exactly as he wanted them and Shane agreed to every demand. Earl's always going to find something to complain about.

Earl lost because he couldn't control the gray ball.

OnTheMF

I know things
Silver Member

That's just ridiculous tripe, spouted off by someone with the maturity of a toddler. Earl beat himself, and made dozens upon dozens of mistakes. He missed simple pots and didn't capitalize on many of SVB's errors. I think it's even more ridiculous because Shane gave Earl every concession in the match and was already playing at a huge disadvantage.

In the end, Earl's sharking bullshit affected them both, and that's why you never saw either player really catch a gear. SVB was very beatable this weekend, but he grinded it out instead of folding like Earl. It's really that simple.

Last edited:

champ2107

Banned
This is ridiculous! You guys on this board think earl is a pool god. He won all his championships when it was mostly american players playing and the fields are half as strong as they are now. He is as good as he always was now but the competition has gotten a lot better. He has the prettiest game/stroke to watch but that's not good enough to win now days, him and archer are now second tier players..ijs

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seamed Earl was just making excuses, He started before the match started, the table was damp the cloth was old yada yada yada. I use to play a guy just like this his back was sore he worked so hard today its like they are trying to make it better for themselves if they lose and when they do it wasnt because a better player beat them its cause he didnt rack the balls at the right speed, broke to slow or to hard which ever was working or any other excuse that they need to feel better but this is just my opionion.

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This match just reinforces my belief that the game of 9-ball should no longer be used to determine the champion of anything aside from perhaps a nit-off. The wing ball flying in every time the balls are tight, racking the 9-ball on the spot, world champions crying about whether somebody's breaking 15MPH or 22MPH. We've already left 8-ball, which many felt was a better game to begin with, to the leagues and bangers. Seems like it's time to do the same to 9-ball and officially move to a true test of skill. Nobody's watching anyway - no need for made-for-TV games anymore.

Aaron

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is ridiculous! You guys on this board think earl is a pool god. He won all his championships when it was mostly american players playing and the fields are half as strong as they are now. He is as good as he always was now but the competition has gotten a lot better. He has the prettiest game/stroke to watch but that's not good enough to win now days, him and archer are now second tier players..ijs

Just curious, are you speaking from experience, or just pulling a lot of BS out of your ass?

Reactions: JAM

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Man, some of you guys must have never spent much time gambling in your pool playing careers I swear. Shane wasn't breaking the rack wide open anymore because he found on on day 1, all that hard breaking he was doing was just helping Earl beat him, by not making a ball on the break and being able to run out from there. Think about it, if Shane broke wide open but didn't make a ball, all he was doing was turning over the table to Earl, like he broke and made a ball...so, run out from there Earl. Day 2 Shane figured out how to STOP helping Earl, but not breaking the rack so wide open, giving Earl the chance to run...then playing clean up after Earl failed to finish for the win...SMART POOL PLAYING if you want my opinion, Earl just didn't catch on because he didn't expect Shane to switch up on his break after day 1, he had him and he knew it...if Shane would have just continued down that same path...but he didn't, and it cost Earl in the long run...because he then fell victim to his own game....bait and switch gears. It's who ever makes the most 9's that wins, not who ever runs the most racks!!!!!!

Glen

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ahhhhhhh huh?

Were you alive and either playing or watching during the years that Earl won five U.S. Opens and six World Nine Ball Championships? So that you would have a valid opinion as to the level of Earl's game then as well as the level of the other competitors. Or are you just expressing your hatred for Earl, and Johnny as well?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't watch it, and I wouldn't say Shane "cheats" but I've watched him in 10 ball and he is, in my opinion, a mechanic.

Were they using the magic rack?

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Champ,
Are you ever on the right side of anything? JA and Earl are at minimum top 10 in the USA (some would put them both as top 10 in the world). Who has SVB not beaten in a long set format. Expect for Alex's huge comeback he has handed everyone their hat (including Alex). The man went toe to toe with probably the best long race boy in the world. Note he beat him last time on that super tough 10 footer. JA made the Mosconi cup and nobody has to like playing him (note Earl did beat JA in their challenge match).

JA & ES are BCA hall of famers.
Both play top caliber pool.
I bet either or both have a Major left in them
Earl had SVB down 20-25 on day one. Some would argue made more tough shots and was a couple rolls away from beating the kid. SVB is just mentally super tough and nobody today can run the marathon like him.

Nick

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I didn't watch it, and I wouldn't say Shane "cheats" but I've watched him in 10 ball and he is, in my opinion, a mechanic.

Were they using the magic rack?

No, they were using the Delta 13 rack, Earl didn't want the magic rack used because it creates a repeatable perfect rack, with a predictable break, so rack your own was used, increasing the chance for human error on the rack, so no chance of repeatable perfect break & runs.

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, they were using the Delta 13 rack, Earl didn't want the magic rack used because it creates a repeatable perfect rack, with a predictable break, so rack your own was used, increasing the chance for human error on the rack, so no chance of repeatable perfect break & runs.

How interesting! That says a lot about the Magic Rack's strength, IMO, that it makes a perfect rack. Cool to know. :)

champ2107

Banned
Champ,
Are you ever on the right side of anything? JA and Earl are at minimum top 10 in the USA (some would put them both as top 10 in the world). Who has SVB not beaten in a long set format. Expect for Alex's huge comeback he has handed everyone their hat (including Alex). The man went toe to toe with probably the best long race boy in the world. Note he beat him last time on that super tough 10 footer. JA made the Mosconi cup and nobody has to like playing him (note Earl did beat JA in their challenge match).

JA & ES are BCA hall of famers.
Both play top caliber pool.
I bet either or both have a Major left in them
Earl had SVB down 20-25 on day one. Some would argue made more tough shots and was a couple rolls away from beating the kid. SVB is just mentally super tough and nobody today can run the marathon like him.

Nick

Earl wants to play the game from the 80's and can not play the game of 2010.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
How interesting! That says a lot about the Magic Rack's strength, IMO, that it makes a perfect rack. Cool to know. :)

Any device used to create a perfect repeatable rack, is the MAJOR key to creating the perfect break...as a shot, not just the break. When human error started being removed from racking the balls, we all started hearing about how the game was no longer that hard, starting with Cory and the Sardo rack, and his soft break...always making the 1 in the side and running out from there. We ARE our own worst enemies when we search for the perfection in this game, because that "Perfection" is what's killing pool today...when the break shot is more IMPORTANT than any other shot on the table...except the LAST ball for the win.

Glen