hjjfj.jpg

gfhm.jpg

ftjjjkr.jpg

gjkfhryhhy.jpg

hfjdfmhj.jpg

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
That was my first thought also. I know wood can look anyway it wants but with the grain and curl of the bottom one I just wasn't sure. I appreciate the response.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
81d27fa76d580dc88b3e41e6879c3214.jpg
f552160539904a63b413388a0a395bc6.jpg
0dd6f0dae42bd1210c934f5fe37a7150.jpg

Chris wins a free 20pc nugget just stop by your local McDonald’s tell em I sent ya lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
778e762efd0ce7eed9aec67faccf904a.jpg

Lol I got the stuff everywhere in the shop.....my grandfather actually found logs and beams in south Louisiana decades ago when he would go shrimping. His houses center beam in the roof is mahogany lmao.

My most prized piece of wood is a slab from him that’s 13’ long 1” thick and 24” wide. When my mother and father build their new home I’ll be making Mom a table with it, it will be set into the center of the top I won’t cut or put fastener number one into it just needs a sanding and a finish.

Great working wood, little light for cues imop generally speaking it’s lighter than walnut. It is a great guitar tonewood.

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
Lol I got the stuff everywhere in the shop.....my grandfather actually found logs and beams in south Louisiana decades ago when he would go shrimping. His houses center beam in the roof is mahogany lmao.

My most prized piece of wood is a slab from him that’s 13’ long 1” thick and 24” wide. When my mother and father build their new home I’ll be making Mom a table with it, it will be set into the center of the top I won’t cut or put fastener number one into it just needs a sanding and a finish.

Great working wood, little light for cues imop generally speaking it’s lighter than walnut. It is a great guitar tonewood.

Sounds like it will be an absolutely stunning table, heavy but stunning

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol I got the stuff everywhere in the shop.....my grandfather actually found logs and beams in south Louisiana decades ago when he would go shrimping.

That;s the good stuff. People don't realize it grows in the US. Same as what used to be called "cuban" mahogany (swietenia mahogani). But i think it's protected. I've gotten windfalls sourced for government work that were in the size you mention, but thicker. It's also available from some pacific islands where the seed pods were borne, and the forest is now managed for income. That family tends to sell it by the ounce, more or less though they have great huge planks.

As Grey Ghost noted, it's not particularly dense or heavy, about like Walnut or cherry. Certainly not as hard as maple. It's one of the softest woods we use for complex floors. Swietenia mahogani tends to run denser and better texture than swietenia macrophyla, which is the current "true" mahogany of trade. Then again, mahogany's appearance and characteristics such as density and texture are maybe more prone to the local environment in which the tree grew than some woods.

smt

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
That;s the good stuff. People don't realize it grows in the US. Same as what used to be called "cuban" mahogany (swietenia mahogani). But i think it's protected. I've gotten windfalls sourced for government work that were in the size you mention, but thicker. It's also available from some pacific islands where the seed pods were borne, and the forest is now managed for income. That family tends to sell it by the ounce, more or less though they have great huge planks.

As Grey Ghost noted, it's not particularly dense or heavy, about like Walnut or cherry. Certainly not as hard as maple. It's one of the softest woods we use for complex floors. Swietenia mahogani tends to run denser and better texture than swietenia macrophyla, which is the current "true" mahogany of trade. Then again, mahogany's appearance and characteristics such as density and texture are maybe more prone to the local environment in which the tree grew than some woods.

smt

Yes it grows in Florida and your right on it’s protected. as does the Australian pine which is a species of ironwood......it’s considered invasive and I’ve got a 125cc Mac that’ll be hunting some of them while I work down there lol