Vivian Villarreal got them again

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From her Facebook post today:

"It is with a very heavy heart that I must announce the postponement of the upcoming Tornado Open in Atlantic City. After months of hard work of putting this event together, the main sponsor for the event just informed me last minute that they have backed out of their promised contractual agreement, which would now leave no money for the tournament payouts. Although I do have a written contract with this company, and will proceed with litigation to get the contracted funds, at this time I cannot go ahead with the event.

I apologize profusely to everyone that was planning on attending. Please be certain that I will do everything in my power to make it up to everyone in the near future in any way I can. I have learned a valuable lesson, and will hopefully announce a new date and time for this event soon, along with further details as to how to make it right.

I am embarrassed and devastated that I was not able to secure the necessary funds and that I am forced to cancel on such a late notice. All those who have already paid their entries will of course be refunded. Any other reimbursements that I am able to procure will be announced as soon as I am able.

Yours respectfully,

Vivian Villarreal"

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love Vivian but she just lost all credibility as a promoter, canceling an event with less than one week's notice. Who will refund all the money already spent on airfares (many of which are non refundable) and room reservations (most will lose at least one night's charge for canceling so late)?

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love Vivian but she just lost all credibility as a promoter, canceling an event with less than one week's notice. Who will refund all the money already spent on airfares (many of which are non refundable) and room reservations (most will lose at least one night's charge for canceling so late)?
Jay....quoting you from June here: “ I hope it turns out better than her last foray into promoting.”

Prescient! And now, this IS her last foray into promoting.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe people can switch the hotel reservations to her Tornado event next year in Cancun at the Hard Rock :rotflmao1:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Has she learned nothing from her predecessors? She should have kept her mouth shut, run the event, then handed out IOUs to the players that cashed...;)

In all seriousness this is really disappointing. I am lucky I didn't register this tournament and I feel for those who did.

Getting in to any new business has a learning curve and promoting tournaments is no different. I understand what it's like to be new and have what seems to be unforeseeable curveballs come up. I also know that those who have done it for years anticipate those things. That is why it's nice to apprentice, partner with someone who is running tournaments successfully, then after assisting for a few years you can confidently run events. Having the attitude that 'This is easy, just book an event center, throw out some flyers, I've got this!' can get you into trouble. I'm not sure if that's what happened, but in any case this is a tough blow for 2018 pool.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am saddened that Vivian has experienced a big disappointment like this.

We all know that corporate sponsors can leave a person with egg on her face

I believe that vivian has been a stand up person in the past

It is my hope that she recovers and succeeds in the future

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
I am saddened that Vivian has experienced a big disappointment like this.

We all know that corporate sponsors can leave a person with egg on her face

I believe that vivian has been a stand up person in the past

It is my hope that she recovers and succeeds in the future

Sure, it's unfortunate for Vivian, but more so for those who trusted and depended upon her to be a professional businessperson and actually do as she professed. She disappointed and caused financial losses for an awful lot of people. Maybe she's just not cut out for and/or lacks the skills to be a tournament promoter.

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member
I'm sure she has worked days and nights to make this event happen, and I've heard she is a genuinely nice person, but hope is not a business plan. I'd salute to her if she finds a way to succeed in the future, but I think she has lost all her credibility, whatever it's left from the last time.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
this isn't the first time she dogged it when putting on a promoters hat

is it her last?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was it this time last year that she got into a public bashing of John Morra because he had some concerns?
I remember seeing the hard-to-watch, no table lighting and the players having to play on dim arena lights from 60 feet above and I had concerns myself even as a spectator from afar.

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Either of 2 scenarios are in play. Something super shady is going on or Vivian & her partners are complete ****ing idiots. You NEVER do a deal like this without money being in escrow.

Hell I was at a recent party for a friend who performed at Carnegie Hall & had a celebrity filled after party which the whole bill for the events was nearly half a million when all was said & done. Some corporations threw in sponsorship dollars. Regardless, every last penny had to be in escrow or the events would not have been allowed to happen even though the main person running it could have paid out of his pocket alone for it & the place knew that but it did not matter.

Escrow is king & any business person knows that.

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am so f’n disappointed, just got that ext from her. What the heck am I gonna do now? Does hard rock refund?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am so f’n disappointed, just got that ext from her. What the heck am I gonna do now? Does hard rock refund?

Cancel your reservation immediately! You can usually do so with over 48 hours notice. You might lose your first day's deposit (one night's rental). Good luck!