Measureman here on AZ once told me after we played all day

"You are tougher than a two dollar steak"

It still makes me grin:grin-square:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
my favorite

My favorite comment was from an old road player. "The first night I thought you were lucky. The second night I still thought it might be luck. Nobody in the world gets as lucky as you do three nights in a row!"

One of the few times I got busted but looking back, quite a compliment!

Hu

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Growing up, the best player where I lived was an old roadie named Larry Dalton.
I was 17-18 at the time, and my game had been coming on strong lately.

Larry would play anybody, but never for free. Minimum a buck a game, he loathed playing for free. Always said he had 'won enough nuthin in life', he didnt need more.

One night, Larry comes in and I get him to play. I get up like 10-11 games on him before he quits me and goes home.

I thought I was the king of the world, I had just beat Larry D. and made him quit me.

Next night, Larry comes in and smiles at me while asking for a chance to get his money back. Larry proceeds to beat my fookin brains out. I was down 65-75 AT A BUCK A GAME. :thumbup:

Turns out Larry had worked all day the day before and was just tired. :eek:

Larry smiled again, and told me I had a lot of heart. I said sure, but you got my money. He then told me what would become one of my favorite lines ever.

'When the man with the money, meets the man with the experience....
The man with the experience gets the money, and the man with the money gets the experience.'
:thumbup:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Best compliment I got was. You’re the best player in your own mind. You’re the best player in your house. You should have stayed in school.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I have two that come to mind. Both were from my opponents.

The first was, "That's the first shot you missed," midway through my second set against Danny Medina.

The second was, "Wow," after a shot I made while playing Efren Reyes.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Two of my favorites - One from Danny Diliberto after watching me play Larry Lisciotti and lose. I had no idea who Larry was at the time and of course Danny wouldn't blow his cover until it was all over. I lost over $200 in 1960's money, a lot at the time (maybe half my bankroll). Danny said, "Jay, you just played a champion and you're a shortstop for life!"

Efren was watching me play a Filipino friend of his some One Pocket for a few dollars and I was a little intimidated by his presence. I was a tad nervous but wanted to show him my game anyway. The guy put me in a dead trap down on the end rail with balls near his hole and me with no way out. I remembered a shot I saw Ronnie shoot once and thought what the heck, go for it. I sent the cue ball two rails out of my opponents corner into the bottom of the pack. I hit it perfect and the cue ball stuck in the pack and two balls broke out and rolled close to my pocket. I had reversed the game in one shot. Efren piped up louder than I ever heard him before, "Jay, quit showing off!" :thumbup:

Actually the best compliment I ever got was from Willie Munson, a very good player from Milwaukee who I played in his prime (early '70's). We played a Bank Pool match that was to get into the money at the Dayton tournament ($150 minimum) with a side bet of $50. I started slow but pretty soon was raining two's and three's on Willie turn after turn. I beat him by something like twelve balls in a Race to 23 (best of three racks). After the match I wasn't sure what to say since I didn't really know Willie and I'm sure he didn't know me. He put his cue away silently and then reached out his hand to shake mine. He had a folded up $50 bill in his hand. All he said was, "I had no idea you played that good!" That was the best compliment I ever got from a good player.

Last edited:

billy bones

billy bones
Silver Member
I've had a good many compliments in my day. One of the ones that stands out is when I was playing in a league in Nashville in the 90's. The handicap only went up to 7. They held a special meeting among the team captains and bar owner and tried to raise my and my teammates handicap to an 8. My teammate was a fellow named Chito Bueno, I kid you not !

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
When I first got back into pool after a 30 year layoff, an old guy at the pool hall wanted
to give me some advice..."first thing you shoot too hard, second thing is don't play
anybody in here for money"

r9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chito used to live and play around the Peoria, Il area years ago...... he was always entertaining,,,,haven't seen him in years

I've had a good many compliments in my day. One of the ones that stands out is when I was playing in a league in Nashville in the 90's. The handicap only went up to 7. They held a special meeting among the team captains and bar owner and tried to raise my and my teammates handicap to an 8. My teammate was a fellow named Chito Bueno, I kid you not !

billy bones

billy bones
Silver Member
Chito used to live and play around the Peoria, Il area years ago...... he was always entertaining,,,,haven't seen him in years

Yeah he said he came from Peoria. He showed up in a Stingray with a gorgeous young blonde in tow. Went to work for the local Cadillac dealer downtown.

There was a story , don't remember if he told me or not. Apparently he was on his way to Nashville he got stopped by the cops with a boatload of cash on him 70 grand or so. Cops took him in thinking he was a drug dealer. He had them call Blaylock ( owner of JOB's) and James told them he was coming to buy a bar from him. They let him go.. lol

Anyway Chito was a good guy and he could flat out play. he was fun to be around and was good for my game as we played each other a lot. I looked him up on the internet. Think he is in Florida. His picture looks like an old Chinese kung fu master... lol.

Im not on Facebook, but I believe you can find him there.

Namaste,

Billy Bones

Attachments

• Screenshot (1435).png
    Screenshot (1435).png
    48.9 KB · Views: 983
Last edited:

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
The only compliment I've ever received is, "When it comes to shooting pool, you're one hell of a plumber."

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
played in local 9ball tourney. of course, the local killers are in this as well. Its a non HC tourney.

But, the one killer I knocked out, local short stop, was chatting with his buddy as I was moving on to the finals where we decided to chop.

I figured he was going to make a bunch of excuses, or tell him I got lucky, whatever. His buddy asked what happened. He answered, "the guy never missed"

Yeah, won't forget that one. Good motivation when playing the big dogs... just don't miss :)

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played extremely well in match one night in a small tournament and after the match, shaking hands, my opponent told me "you didn't mention that you wanted to play by yourself."

I have used that line myself since then.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Played extremely well in match one night in a small tournament and after the match, shaking hands, my opponent told me "you didn't mention that you wanted to play by yourself."

I have used that line myself since then.

A young Alex is playing Cliff Thorburn, our greatest snooker player ever, in the big 9-ball
tournament in Prince Albert....Alex is winning 10-1 in a race to 11....
..Cliff is racking the balls...Alex is waiting to break....Cliff looks up from the rack...says..
"By the way, how does the table play?"

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two of my favorites - One from Danny Diliberto after watching me play Larry Lisciotti and lose. I had no idea who Larry was at the time and of course Danny wouldn't blow his cover until it was all over. I lost over $200 in 1960's money, a lot at the time (maybe half my bankroll). Danny said, "Jay, you just played a champion and you're a shortstop for life!"

Efren was watching me play a Filipino friend of his some One Pocket for a few dollars and I was a little intimidated by his presence. I was a tad nervous but wanted to show him my game anyway. The guy put me in a dead trap down on the end rail with balls near his hole and me with no way out. I remembered a shot I saw Ronnie shoot once and thought what the heck, go for it. I sent the cue ball two rails out of my opponents corner into the bottom of the pack. I hit it perfect and the cue ball stuck in the pack and two balls broke out and rolled close to my pocket. I had reversed the game in one shot. Efren piped up louder than I ever heard him before, "Jay, quit showing off!" :thumbup:

Actually the best compliment I ever got was from Willie Munson, a very good player from Milwaukee who I played in his prime (early '70's). We played a Bank Pool match that was to get into the money at the Dayton tournament ($150 minimum) with a side bet of $50. I started slow but pretty soon was raining two's and three's on Willie turn after turn. I beat him by something like twelve balls in a Race to 23 (best of three racks). After the match I wasn't sure what to say since I didn't really know Willie and I'm sure he didn't know me. He put his cue away silently and then reached out his hand to shake mine. He had a folded up $50 bill in his hand. All he said was, "I had no idea you played that good!" That was the best compliment I ever got from a good player.

Willie Munson
Born on August 17, 1938. He still can run 90 balls when the money is on the line. I've seen him do it. He's a friend of mine Jay. He's on Facebook. Not in the best of health but he's not a quitter. I only hope I get to see him again.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
a couple I like

Second hand and I might be mistaken on details. First one I am more sure of than the second. Bustamonte is playing a set for $3500, never got to the table. Much to the railbird's surprise, he was ready to put up another $3500, "I haven't shot yet."

Seems like it was Rodney Morris, he lost the lag and never shot in a tournament match. Somebody asked how he did, "I dogged the lag."

Hu

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Second hand and I might be mistaken on details. First one I am more sure of than the second. Bustamonte is playing a set for $3500, never got to the table. Much to the railbird's surprise, he was ready to put up another $3500, "I haven't shot yet."

Seems like it was Rodney Morris, he lost the lag and never shot in a tournament match. Somebody asked how he did, "I dogged the lag."

Hu

He was playing Johnny Archer and Johnny ran out the set, eleven (or 13) straight racks as I recall. It was at the Bicycle Club in the early 90's.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During a session with CJ Wiley on the bar table he said "I got to quit you, you never get out of line".

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
Trentfromtoledo told me I had a nice table.

After he set it up for me.

Does that count?

:confused:

I know it doesn't.