Pool School

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
I was talking to Stevie Moore yesterday at the tourney in Athens, GA. and he said that he had just gotten back from Stan Shuffetts pool school in KY. Stevie said that he learned more about the game in the week he was there than he has his whole life. He said he highly recommends it to anyone of any skill level. He also said that Stan is the best instructor he has ever seen, ofcourse we know he is great....just look at Landon. Anyway, just wanted to give a great guy and a great instructor some props for all he does/ has done for the game.

Southpaw

nineballman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard a lot of great things about Stan's teaching. He is an Advanced BCA instructor and will have a lot to teach about the game. This is something that I have/should have done years ago, but when I learned to play pool (99 Critical Shots and a book by Steve Mizerak was it!) there was no internet nor teachers who where available anywhere near my area. And for the price that Stan charges, I'm surprised he is not already booked year around. Stan watched me play a match recently and just a couple of things that he said about my stroke/playing stuck with me. He can quickly identify areas that need correcting.

Maybe Stevie will comment on some of the highlights of his two days with Stan and Landon.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
yes, I love the 99 critical shots and I recommend it to everyone I know. It pretty much singlehandedly took me from a guy who never held a stick to maybe a B- in a couple of years. It's nice because rather than bog you down in tons of theory, it gets you started right away with making all the common shots, then works in the theory and positional play.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stan is a great instructor, and anyone can benefit from spending time learning from him. Too bad he couldn't make Landon into the champion player that The Oyster did! :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Last edited:

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats interesting to here abouy Stevie taking lessons and might be part of the reason he didn't win this weekend, don't start flaming I just know from the lessons I've taken it takes a while to get back in stroke sometimes. And that would be worse I guess if you changed stance or pause or other critical parts, but Stevie is a champion and there was some other champions in Athens this weekend (not you Mike Janis ) haha but congrats on the marriage.--Leonard

I am interested in taking some lessons from Stan also as soon as I'm back to work

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leonard...This is absolutely true. We suggest that our students delay any serious competition for at least 2-3 weeks, to let the changes in your routine become a habit. You MUST give the 'medicine' time to work! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

dimes33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i remember when i started playing you just didnt ask for help on your game and if you did you might not like the answer.today all but a few good players have had lessons and ive been curious,how can it help,what will i learn,is it worth it.then you hear about stevie going and if it helps his game then its a must it will help mine,right?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you answered your own question...

If top pro players are seeking out qualified instructors, then that should answer your question. You will learn what you don't know...because right now you don't know what you don't know! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Leonard,
Every year in October, Randy and Scott join me for pool school in Charlotte. It's 3 full days, 8 hours a day with a group of 4 or 5 instructors and about 10 students. If you are considering lessons, this would be a great opportunity for you, right in your own back yard. This year it is Oct 19-21 and will be held at the Green Room in Pineville. You may want to consider this option, and the chance to work with some of the best instructors around.
Steve

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
WOW!! It is hard to believe that someone of Stevie's road seasoning and skill level could have learned anything at all. If he did and he can incorporate it into his game... lord help us.

nineballman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is very common for top pros in many sports to have a trainer. Boxing comes to mind quickly. Great teachers like Stan Shuffet, Scott Lee and others can quickly point out areas that may need correcting. Stevie said that in his 2 days at Stan's he was given more knowledge than he had been exposed to in his previous years of playing pool. I am already scheduled to go to Stan's school very soon and I'm looking forward to learning new things about pool. I will start a thread on it as soon as I return.

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
If top pro players are seeking out qualified instructors, then that should answer your question. You will learn what you don't know...because right now you don't know what you don't know! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Absolutely right.

A couple of months ago, Jeanette Lee came to play some straight pool with Mark Wilson and get her stroke working right. At the time, she said it was crappy.

Flex

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just two things

pooltchr said:
Leonard,
Every year in October, Randy and Scott join me for pool school in Charlotte. It's 3 full days, 8 hours a day with a group of 4 or 5 instructors and about 10 students. If you are considering lessons, this would be a great opportunity for you, right in your own back yard. This year it is Oct 19-21 and will be held at the Green Room in Pineville. You may want to consider this option, and the chance to work with some of the best instructors around.
Steve

Just two things holding me back Steve, I been out of work since January 13 without pay and thats the week of the US Open so I'll be up there in Va.--Broke Leonard

Ps. you should think about some other local room as the Masters APA div pulled out of the green room because the tables were so bad and I ain't kidding, if he don't recover a few tables you will be in for a tough time but good luck.

Last edited:

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Leonard,
Actually, I hope to be able to get a spot where I can get 3 or 4 tables that would be strictly for teaching. Pool rooms are ok, but I would like to have a place free of the distractions. Unfortunately, it takes some money for rent, and utilities to keep up something like that. It's definitely something I working on.
Steve

iasaxman

Wanna get played?
Silver Member
Qualifications for Teachers/Instructors?

I'm playing the part of bad guy here, but who decides the credentials and qualifications for pool instructors? I'm more versed in golf than pool, and there are several similarities. In golf, you can't learn a more advanced technique than the teacher can create (Can't teach what you don't know). I would think the same would apply in pool. If the instructor can't do it, how can they teach it?

I've taken lessons from several "professional" instructors around the midwest, and have been sorely dissapointed. Most taught only the basics to groups of 10-15 players. At the time, I thought it was due to learning curve differences of the players. The coach I am currently using let the cat out of the bag and informed me that most teachers can't teach the very advanced aspects of the game because they aren't at that level yet.

Now before everyone gets their panties in a bunch, I know not all instructors are that way, but I don't put much stock in a coach that doesn't have the playing credentials to back up their theories and systems.

That's why I'm working with Joe Villalpondo currently. He can show me how to do exactly what he's saying. Not only that, but he was an accomplished player for longer than I've been alive. Not only that, his DVD's will probably be held in the same regard as 99 Critical Shots someday. With DVD 3 in the works shortly, I'd guess that the material covered in his DVD's will get players more in-depth information than several lessons from most instructors. Besides, Joe doesn't worry about your stroke, stance, bridge, etc. Unless it interferes with your progress. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Too many instructors tried to change my basics when they worked perfectly fine for me. I didn't pay $1,000 to have my approach, stance, and stroke looked at. I came to learn new table management skills. Joe got me shooting 10 times better in a few months, and my progress now has long-time opponents wondering where I came from. Look into his credentials, and you'll see the Benke family...'nuff said! They'll be around for quite a while...just ask Landon. He was on the losing end of a Benke. Landon did beat him the second time around, but a much closer match than the first.

Just my opinion,

Dave

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
iasaxman said:
... the very advanced aspects of the game ...
Not that I'm disagreeing with what you said above, but what do you mean by "very advanced aspects?"