F/S 1968-72 'Block Letter' Joss – Balabushka Tribute by Bill Stroud

jeremy8000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As captioned in the title, for your consideration.

gI4aJFs9_o.jpg

A wide variety of high resolution photos of the cue, including both many more pre/post restoration shots from 2015 can be viewed here.

Bill personally confirmed this cue as one he designed when he and Dan Janes were together at Joss, recalling having taking his inspiration for its design from his personal Balabushka cue he shot with before co-founding Joss, and utilizing the same MOP design but with the ring design changed from the original.

The cue had some wear from its nearly 50 years when I came into its possession, most notably a damaged buttcap. While Bill's years of doing cue work and repair were past by the time I approached him about restoring it, I was fortunate to have Dan Janes personally restore it brilliantly in early 2015, wherein he replaced the buttcap (which necessitated his recarving the JOSS logo into the replacement Delrin) and was able to retain the original Cortland wrap, explaining it was in excellent condition, requiring only a cleaning and pressing.

Dan did take comment specifically on the shaft, remarking that it was one of a small number that had been produced in their earliest years from a virtually grainless wood he called "areno blanco" (sp?) until they had been unable to source more. The only testimony I can give to it is that it plays absolutely phenomenally, and that even after about a half-century has only picked up only a very slight taper roll (though it rolls straight, both tip-to-collar and assembled with the butt).

While the intellectual side of me wanted to keep this cue fully pristine and in unplayed (since restoration) condition, it stood no chance against the emotional side of me that couldn't imagine not actually putting this beast to its intended purpose, so of course I took it to the tables. Suffice it to say, it leaves no question as to why Bill is a legend and HOF cuemaker. That said, I did manage some restraint, and only took it out to play a couple of times, probably 20-30 games in total played. Since that point, it has since been kept in secure storage apart from being brought out for display only. The cue is in immaculate condition other than a tiny, light scratch in the finish (I did my best to show it, circled in red, in the last picture in the photo album linked below) – no idea how that happened.

A second shaft is pictured in some of the images and was with the cue when I originally received, but it is clear from the non-matching ringwork that it is not original to the cue. I cannot confirm whether it was produced by Joss or by someone else, or when, only that it has been with the cue for a very, very, very long time. I'll check later, but if memory serves this second shaft does have a more notable amount of taper roll (need to check to see if it causes any lift, will edit in update later).

Also included is a set (1b1s) of joint protectors custom crafted by Bob Dzuricky to match the wood, trim ring, and MOP of the original butt and shaft. Bob's attention to detail is exceptional, and these JP's fit and look beautiful with both butt and shaft. They are just ever so slightly (about 0.03") broader in diameter (about 0.04") than the butt and shaft as Bob crafted them based on the measurements I provided; I'm certain the error was on my part, and thankful that I was as close as I was.

Specs:

Butt​
16.90oz​
4 razor-sharp points​
12 MOP dot inlays​
Cortland wrap​
5/16 x 18 pin​

Shaft (original – 'arena blanco' wood)​
3.67oz​
1" ivory ferrule​
13.01mm​
Joss tip (as installed on refinishing)​

Total weight with original shaft: 20.57oz​
Length: 58" (evenly split)

$xxxxx, shipped & insured to continental USA.

Please PM with serious inquiries only.

Last edited: