Reload this Page pool table speed guage
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
pool table speed guage
Old
  (#1)
driven
AzB Silver Member
driven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

pool table speed guage - 10-09-2014, 02:46 PM

In response to Side Pockets felt too fast thread...

I made a guage to measure the speed of the cloth.

My cloth is 860, about 3-4 years old and hasn't been cleaned for at least 2 months.
I am going to play on 760 tmrw that is very well maintained and will get you the numbers for comparison.
enjoy.

This thing is very easy to make using scrap 3/4 inch wood. Make very accurate cuts.
If enough people decide to make one we can get a pretty good idea how
fast different cloth is.

I should mention at the time of filming the temp was 68 degrees with humidity at 31%

steven

Last edited by driven; 10-09-2014 at 04:11 PM. Reason: broken link

Old
  (#2)
wigglybridge
14.1 straight pool!
wigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond repute

10-09-2014, 03:05 PM

link won't work, takes me to my own account.

cues: OB-122 w/ OB Classic shaft & Lucasi Hybrid LHSP

www.bobmills.org

Old
  (#3)
driven
AzB Silver Member
driven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond reputedriven has a reputation beyond repute

10-09-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigglybridge View Post
link won't work, takes me to my own account.
It's working now. thx.
steven

Old
  (#4)
Side Pocket
AzB Silver Member
Side Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond repute

10-09-2014, 03:31 PM

I think this will be good if enough people will do it. I will build a gauge here in the next couple of days.

Thank you.

Old
  (#5)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-09-2014, 03:35 PM

It is also possible to measure the speed of a table with a stop watch. If you time a lag shot from far rail to stopping just before the near rail, the time in seconds squared times 2 gives you the reciprocal of the effective slope. So, 7 seconds for a lag to travel the length of the table gives:

7*7*2 = 98

slope = 1/98 = 1.0% more or less

On a carom table, it is not uncommon for a lag to take 10 seconds for the last lap of the lag:

10*10*1.8 = 180 (1.8 factor for a 10-foot table)

slope = 1/180 = 0.55%

Since most people can do lags and have stop watches or stop watch apps, this is a pretty simple and accurate way to measure table speed.

Also, if a video has a lag, you can pick the speed of the table off the time of the video.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#6)
Side Pocket
AzB Silver Member
Side Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeSide Pocket has a reputation beyond repute

10-09-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
It is also possible to measure the speed of a table with a stop watch. If you time a lag shot from far rail to stopping just before the near rail, the time in seconds squared times 2 gives you the reciprocal of the effective slope. So, 7 seconds for a lag to travel the length of the table gives:

7*7*2 = 98

On a carom table, it is not uncommon for a lag to take 10 seconds for the last lap of the lag:

slope = 1/180 = 0.55%

Since most people can do lags and have stop watches or stop watch apps, this is a pretty simple and accurate way to measure table speed.

Also, if a video has a lag, you can pick the speed of the table off the time of the video.

Thanks Bob. Here is my lag on my 10 foot table. This is with Gorina M cloth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc76...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Side Pocket; 10-09-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Old
  (#7)
driven
AzB Silver Member

10-09-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side Pocket View Post
I think this will be good if enough people will do it. I will build a gauge here in the next couple of days.

Thank you.
And now I know how to spell it.
thx
The az machine won't let me fix spelling in the title.
steven

Old
  (#8)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

10-09-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side Pocket View Post
Thanks Bob. Here is my lag on my 10 foot table. This is with Gorina M cloth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc76...ature=youtu.be
I measure the time as 10.05 seconds but it would be much better if the lag just barely didn't get to the second cushion. The bounce makes it complicated. In any case, 10 seconds for a lag on a 10-foot table puts the effective up-hill slope at 0.55% which is fast for a carom table and very, very fast for a pool table.

It's a little strange that we call the table "fast" but things like the ball stopping happen a lot more slowly.

If you have some good video editing software, you can get the time of each frame down to 1/30th of a second. That is more accurate than trying to pull it off YouTube with a stopwatch.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#9)
neonlight
AzB Bronze Member
neonlight has a reputation beyond reputeneonlight has a reputation beyond reputeneonlight has a reputation beyond reputeneonlight has a reputation beyond reputeneonlight has a reputation beyond reputeneonlight has a reputation beyond reputeneonlight has a reputation beyond reputeneonlight has a reputation beyond reputeneonlight has a reputation beyond reputeneonlight has a reputation beyond reputeneonlight has a reputation beyond repute

10-10-2014, 06:09 AM

I'm really surprised the BCA does not maintain speed standards. A measurement system would be easy. It is done all the time on golf greens. A similar sloped apparatus would offer consistent measurements.

cushions too
Old
  (#10)
Dave
AzB Silver Member
Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond repute

cushions too - 10-10-2014, 08:13 AM

A similar approach could be used to gauge cushion rebound.

I feel that I've seen another version of this several years ago.... could it have been Dr Dave?

Old
  (#11)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

10-10-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlight View Post
I'm really surprised the BCA does not maintain speed standards. A measurement system would be easy. It is done all the time on golf greens. A similar sloped apparatus would offer consistent measurements.
As mentioned above, you don't need any apparatus other than a stop watch and the result is a number that is easy to interpret.

The bounciness of the cushions is a little harder to interpret because it depends a lot on the cloth on the nose of the cushion. Sticky cloth tends to give a bouncier cushion.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#12)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 542

10-10-2014, 10:12 AM

I use this to measure speed.

"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Old
  (#13)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

10-10-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven View Post
In response to Side Pockets felt too fast thread...

I made a guage to measure the speed of the cloth.

My cloth is 860, about 3-4 years old and hasn't been cleaned for at least 2 months.
I am going to play on 760 tmrw that is very well maintained and will get you the numbers for comparison.
enjoy.

This thing is very easy to make using scrap 3/4 inch wood. Make very accurate cuts.
If enough people decide to make one we can get a pretty good idea how
fast different cloth is.

I should mention at the time of filming the temp was 68 degrees with humidity at 31%

steven
Joe Waldron has also proposed a fairly-simple-to-make "stimpmeter" to measure and compare table "speeds." Here's his article for those interested.

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited by dr_dave; 10-10-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Old
  (#14)
driven
AzB Silver Member

10-12-2014, 02:48 PM

I measured my friends table a couple days ago. It now has 860, not the 760 I advertised. I forgot he had it redone.

The table was set up by an actual pool table mechanic.

Up table the balls rolled to the spot. 25 inches from the rail.
Down table they rolled an extra 2 inches to the 23 mark.
average roll out 24 inches from the rail, or 76 inches from the starting point.

My table is quite a bit faster even though I rarely clean it. I could be the age factor, mine being older. Not sure about that. It could be I stretched the cloth a bit more.
At first I thought because my table was so far off level the results must be wrong, but I had more roll uphill as well.

I never noticed the speed difference on Friends table. I am thinking any table that plays within 2 inches in either direction should be deemed level

I knew my table was much faster towards the foot end, a 14 inch difference in speed is no small difference. Someday I will even it out.

I am wondering now how many tables roll equal in both directions.

That is a very cool gauge there, rexus31.
Do you notice any difference in speed up table vs. down?

Your gauge and the one from Joe Waldron is clearly the way the thing should be made. I might add a slight curve near the bottom to smooth out the transition from device to table. Much like a bowler should release the ball.
steven

Old
  (#15)
app4dstn
AzB Silver Member
app4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond repute

10-17-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post

7*7*2 = 98

slope = 1/180 = 0.55%

that's a good practical and simplified test.

i tried this last night. rather than film it, i went to a metronome website and got a 120bpm cadence into my head. using the sound off the far rail to trigger the counting, the return lap on succesful lags were consistently around 12 beats (never 11, never 13), rough estimate 6 seconds.... 8 foot table (2.25 factor)

6 seconds -> 100/(6*6*2.25) 1.23456790123.... 1.23%
5.5 seconds -> 100/(5.5*5.5*2.25) 1.46923783287 ...1.47%
6.5 seconds -> 100/(6.5*6.5*2.25) 1.05193951348....1.05%

i know it's sloooooow. slow like pancake syrup? pancake batter?

anyone care to post up their (approximate) slope measurements? and the cloth they're using?

(i got my table on CL a couple of months ago. if i had to guess, the cloth that came with it is no-name/economical via ebay. i see it starting to develop fuzzies that weren't there when i got it.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: