Who's job is it to call a shark move?

67tbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That makes sense- and now that I think about it, it's one of the main differences between our local BCA league and the way we play at BCA Nationals.

I think the original logic for the local rule difference was that having players, captains and co-capts able to announce rule violations made up for not having refs, and also limiting the power to just these people prevents team-on-team brawls.

Wouldn't matter what the coach said, or if the guy actually continued shooting and missed, or anything, since the game was over anyway.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

67tbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Foul? Concession? What would you do?

(alcohol is being served)

Handicapped 9b league, 4 man teams.

Player A giving the 8 to player B.

Couple innings in the books.

Player B shooting long cut shot to the upper corner on the 6. Misses the 6 to the corner but the 6 makes the 7 hanging in the side. (6 comes to rest in front of corner pocket, 8 in front of corner, same end and 9 in front of other side. CB down in the 6/8 end, in the open.

Player B starts celebration with teammates(minus their captain who was at bar). Player B comes over to seated player A and extends hand.

Player A, while watching the table, shakes hands.

Player B teammate gathers 6 and 8 to rack next game.

Player A calls 'foul' while shaking hands.

The celebration slowed down.

Is it a foul? Was the game over? If so, why? Still B's inning till balls moved? Replace balls, nullify 'foul', B shoot hanging 6 and 8 to win?

Handshake can only mean congratulations on a win? Can it just be 'nice shot'-but there is more work to do? Is this unsportsmanlike conduct and loss of game by player A that trumps (group) error in celebrating a win before the game was over?

Player A's handshake meant game was over, or a move, taking advantage of player B's mistake about his money ball?

If you are TD, what do you do?

Player A should be awarded the game (raking balls = concession)

Player A can't be penalized for player B's mistake, simple as that. Handshake could be for a nice shot, people do stupid things.

Player B should have to acknowledge his mistake and deal with it. Its not player A's job to assist player B with anything.

Player B actually conceded the game with the offered handshake

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

bullshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people are just assholes and will try anything to break your concentration. A couple years ago I was in a fairly big 9 ball tournament (around 40 people) In a match on the loser side, whoever wins this match makes it into the money!

It just so happened to be hill/hill with me shooting at a pretty routine 3 ball run out for the win, when all of a sudden, while I'm down on my shot, here comes my opponent into my view right in front of the pocket with his stick in hand. He starts making an unscrewing motion with his hand on the stick, so I stand up and walk over to him to shake his hand. As I extend my hand feeling accomplished at my win he pulls his hands back still holding the stick in one and says that he never actually unscrewed, and therefore, did not forfeit.

Needless to say I was extremely pissed at this point. I went over to the TD and he wasn't any help so I ended up taking a 10 minute break and going outside to cool down before I went back in and finished off the rack.

I didn't go for a handshake this time around. I had already tried earlier.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Foul? Concession? What would you do?

(alcohol is being served)

Handicapped 9b league, 4 man teams.

Player A giving the 8 to player B.

Couple innings in the books.

Player B shooting long cut shot to the upper corner on the 6. Misses the 6 to the corner but the 6 makes the 7 hanging in the side. (6 comes to rest in front of corner pocket, 8 in front of corner, same end and 9 in front of other side. CB down in the 6/8 end, in the open.

Player B starts celebration with teammates(minus their captain who was at bar). Player B comes over to seated player A and extends hand.

Player A, while watching the table, shakes hands.

Player B teammate gathers 6 and 8 to rack next game.

Player A calls 'foul' while shaking hands.

The celebration slowed down.

Is it a foul? Was the game over? If so, why? Still B's inning till balls moved? Replace balls, nullify 'foul', B shoot hanging 6 and 8 to win?

Handshake can only mean congratulations on a win? Can it just be 'nice shot'-but there is more work to do? Is this unsportsmanlike conduct and loss of game by player A that trumps (group) error in celebrating a win before the game was over?

Player A's handshake meant game was over, or a move, taking advantage of player B's mistake about his money ball?

If you are TD, what do you do?

From reading this, player B didn't make either the 8 or 9 and so by shaking hands with player A conceded the game. (B offered his hand, and therefore instigated the concession. You don't ask your opponent to concede unless you're a totally arrogant d-bag.)

It appears that player A didn't take the handshake for a concession but called a foul on raking the balls. Also acceptable in my opinion.

The real question is... why the hell did player B do anything except pocket the 8!!!???

What the hell is wrong with all these players? Win graciously, accept your losses like a man, follow the rules and treat your opponent with respect. It's not that f***ing hard!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BCA pool league. Player "A" scratches and leaves a combination on the ten ball. (ten ball is the game). Player "A" walks briskly away from the table and unscrews his stick and jams it in his case as this is the last game of the match. I'm not sure whether his opponent, player "B" noticed or not. The team captain observes this and tells his player, player "B" that the game is over and Player "A" has conceded and not to shoot the shot. The shot was easy but also easy to miss as are a lot of combinations. The ten was not a hanger.

Player "A" says it's out of line and the captain has no right to interfere in the game. The captain says it's a clear concession and needs to be called immediately. The entire team of player "A" left mad about this with no hand shakes.

This team of player "A" is involved in something like this BS week in and week out. At what point should the league take action? And what action?

Player "B" and the team captain in question are two of the three league officers which makes it extra sensitive.

JC

I have no idea about league pool, never did it once.

i handle my own biz, when i play. or sweat.

for example:

once i was on the rail and behind me some kids i didnt know were playing around-horse play. the player in front of me-the pool game, got mad at me. i was stuck in the middle. It got pretty heated. I was just sweating the guy getting robbed-Jack Perkins. Old Jack never liked me much, so when that went down-wow. I had to break it down to Jack that i understand pool and I wasnt the people making the noise, Jack was looking for a excuse, he finally calmed down, i refused to move-that really fried his egg LOL. I wasnt betting on the match and had no reason to do anything, even if i was betting i wouldnt do that.

also if 2 people are gambling and they get in a beef ofer the hit, push, ball count. i just say "I dont know" even if i do know I dont get involved, EVER<-----best possible advice there is in pool. you aint in, dont get in.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
3rail, neat situation.

There are only 2 reasons the player can be going up to shake hands.

1. He's so cocky he's giving the game to himself, like "I win from here so I don't even have to shoot 'em".
Among friends, this may happen, but I've never heard of it in any league or tournament.
I'd say there's virtually a 0% chance the player is giving himself the win here.

2. He's confused and thought he made the game ball.
In this case you treat the situation as an honest mistake on player B's part, which led to the balls being disturbed
via "outside interference". Had the player tried to rake them himself you might make a case that he conceded
(though clearly that was never his intent)... but his teammate raked them. AFAIK that would be handled the same was
as if some random drunk wandered up and moved the balls.

Player A is in error calling a foul, as the balls were disturbed accidentally.
In most leagues, when balls are moved accidentally, the ref must try to restore them
as close as possible to the original positions. Then play resumes.
So player B shoots his hangers and the match is truly completed.

Last edited:

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3rail, neat situation.

There are only 2 reasons the player can be going up to shake hands.

1. He's so cocky he's giving the game to himself, like "I win from here so I don't even have to shoot 'em".
Among friends, this may happen, but I've never heard of it in any league or tournament.
I'd say there's virtually a 0% chance the player is giving himself the win here.

2. He's confused and thought he made the game ball.
In this case you treat the situation as an honest mistake on player B's part, which led to the balls being disturbed
via "outside interference". Had the player tried to rake them himself you might make a case that he conceded
(though clearly that was never his intent)... but his teammate raked them. AFAIK that would be handled the same was
as if some random drunk wandered up and moved the balls.

Player A is in error calling a foul, as the balls were disturbed accidentally.
In most leagues, when balls are moved accidentally, the ref must try to restore them
as close as possible to the original positions. Then play resumes.
So player B shoots his hangers and the match is truly completed.

Creedo-

Player A agrees with your assessment. Player A got a pass by TD allowing replay of game. Player A won redo...probably wrong karmic result.