Hypothetical Question - What would you do?

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
Let's turn this around a little.

Would any of you feel that you were treated badly, unfairly...unsportsmanly..?

*if* your opponent said nothing to you and you were the one lined up wrong?

I wouldn't hold it against them....it would be my screw-up.

Nothing more

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A lot of people. I certainly don't mind if that happens to me.

And whether you're down on the shot is irrelevant to this discussion. The question is whether you should let your opponent know at any time if he is shooting the wrong ball. If it breaks etiquette to disrupt your opponent's turn for such an action, then it follows it also breaks etiquette to concede a rack, provided it's still your opponent's turn at the table.

I actually agree about the no concession rules for tournaments.

I disagree about the concession being the same. I’d just assume make all concessions against the rules, but can’t understand how conceding the game is the same as disrupting someone who is down on a ball.

SC Hollywood

Registered
I believe you should always be honest! If you best an opponent in a questionably dishonest manner, did you really win? I personally would rather lose with integrity than win with lack of it! Just my humble opinion, not saying I'm right, just what I feel I should do. Another angle of perception could be; if you're questioning the morality of the situation, you likely already know the answer. Deception by any other name, is still deception 😏

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...but can’t understand how conceding the game is the same as disrupting someone who is down on a ball.
Again, whether your opponent is down on the ball is irrelevant.

If you can read your opponent's mind and you knew with certainty that he's intending to shoot at the wrong ball before he gets down on the shot, then would it be okay to notify him?

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Again, whether your opponent is down on the ball is irrelevant.

If you can read your opponent's mind and you knew with certainty that he's intending to shoot at the wrong ball before he gets down on the shot, then would it be okay to notify him?

It does matter. Maybe not to you, but it does. Isn’t that kinda the theme to this thread, that not all people think the same thing?

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe you should always be honest! If you best an opponent in a questionably dishonest manner, did you really win? I personally would rather lose with integrity than win with lack of it! Just my humble opinion, not saying I'm right, just what I feel I should do. Another angle of perception could be; if you're questioning the morality of the situation, you likely already know the answer. Deception by any other name, is still deception 😏

If I questioned the morality of it, I’d be inclined to tell him. I don’t see it as a moral dilemma though.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Let's turn this around a little.

Would any of you feel that you were treated badly, unfairly...unsportsmanly..?

*if* your opponent said nothing to you and you were the one lined up wrong?

I wouldn't hold it against them....it would be my screw-up.

Nothing more

Not in the least. I'd be embarrassed. And they'd I sit back and wonder why I'm not concentrating. Tired? Work or family stuff going on?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
So I guess if I inform my opponent he's shooting at the wrong ball, he'll show his appreciation by calling a foul on me for interrupting him while he's shooting and then take ball-in-hand?

Some rules make no sense and are made to be broken. In my opinion, there is no right or wrong answer here as to what a player may choose to do or should do in this situation, but it's just an interesting situation that has happened to all of us - as the shooter and as the observing opponent.

No he won't. But it's not an integrity issue if he doesn't. That's what I'm saying. If you want to help your opponent beat you, go ahead. You can help me too. But, by not returning the favor, my integrity is not in question.

if you fall / trip while breaking, I'll help you up. If you can't afford a beer, I'll put one on my tab, if you left your chalk at home, i'll give you a piece of mine. But, I will not help you beat me. If you you don't know the situation, that's your fault, not mine.

Again, I've seen countless guys run on a fly ball, thinking there was 2 outs. He just forget, it happens more than you think, probably as much as someone shooting the wrong ball.

You want to guess how many times an infielder told him there was only 1 out and not 2? Think about it, and sit back and guess. This is just in the 40 years of my baseball playing, but I'll even add in the 100 years or so that MLB has been around. How many times? Do we question their integrity when they don't help a guy who did not forget? Yep, nobody has even insinuated such nonsense.

But, if you want to do it, that's fine by me. And I will not insult you if you do such things, not at all. So, do not insult us for not doing what you would do. It's not an integrity issue, it's just your personal choice to help him out. If that makes you feel good, fine by me.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
It depends on the situation but, I usually don't say anything because that is what I would expect in return.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Your opponent is running, they're on the eight, they call the pocket, but fail to mark it. Do you remind them?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No he won't. But it's not an integrity issue if he doesn't. That's what I'm saying. If you want to help your opponent beat you, go ahead. You can help me too. But, by not returning the favor, my integrity is not in question.

if you fall / trip while breaking, I'll help you up. If you can't afford a beer, I'll put one on my tab, if you left your chalk at home, i'll give you a piece of mine. But, I will not help you beat me. If you you don't know the situation, that's your fault, not mine.

Again, I've seen countless guys run on a fly ball, thinking there was 2 outs. He just forget, it happens more than you think, probably as much as someone shooting the wrong ball.

You want to guess how many times an infielder told him there was only 1 out and not 2? Think about it, and sit back and guess. This is just in the 40 years of my baseball playing, but I'll even add in the 100 years or so that MLB has been around. How many times? Do we question their integrity when they don't help a guy who did not forget? Yep, nobody has even insinuated such nonsense.

But, if you want to do it, that's fine by me. And I will not insult you if you do such things, not at all. So, do not insult us for not doing what you would do. It's not an integrity issue, it's just your personal choice to help him out. If that makes you feel good, fine by me.
I don't believe in any previous posts on this thread that I insulted you or anyone else for whatever their choice was in this scenario. I've just stated that for myself, if I have the opportunity to stop my opponent before they shoot at the wrong ball, I do it.

Whether the same person chooses to do the same to me or anyone else, is their choice. Just be honest enough to not say, as you're taking ball-in-hand, that you would have stopped me before I shot, if you'd realized I was doing it.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In VNEA, one needs to place a pocket marker between the intended pocket and nearest diamond/dot on the rail.

Interesting. My answer is “no, I wouldn’t tell him”. Probably wouldn’t call a foul afterwards either.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. My answer is “no, I wouldn’t tell him”. Probably wouldn’t call a foul afterwards either.

APA is the same and I can't count how many times someone forgot to mark their pocket. If they made it and it was obvious that's where they were shooting it I would never call a foul. To me that's about sportsmanship.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
APA is the same and I can't count how many times someone forgot to mark their pocket. If they made it and it was obvious that's where they were shooting it I would never call a foul. To me that's about sportsmanship.

You da man!

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I don't believe in any previous posts on this thread that I insulted you or anyone else for whatever their choice was in this scenario. I've just stated that for myself, if I have the opportunity to stop my opponent before they shoot at the wrong ball, I do it.

Whether the same person chooses to do the same to me or anyone else, is their choice. Just be honest enough to not say, as you're taking ball-in-hand, that you would have stopped me before I shot, if you'd realized I was doing it.

Trust me, there is no bs story about trying to stop you. I just smile and take bih ;) Me likes bih :)

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it all depends on the competition. If I'm playing a killer who should be paying attention I feel no responsibility to pay attention for them. Playing a lesser player I'll tell them. I don't feel any moral obligation to tell them I just do it.

It's not like this happens to me all the time. I can count on one hand the number of times this has come up. I certainly would appreciate someone telling me, but I would never hold it against them if they didn't, that doesn't even make sense. I don't ever shoot at the wrong balls. I know a long time ago it happened once or twice but I don't ever actually remember it happening.

I don't think there is a right and wrong here, just personal preference.