Keeping the Cue Ball Clean

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, I've never had an issue using liquid dish soap and water on cb and obs.

I don't soak them or even emerge them but, I do wet a soapy cloth, mildly scrub and then "quickly" rinse with cool water and then "immediately" dry with a soft towel.

Like I said, never had an issue.

Jeff

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I will offer a dissenting opinion: The blue circle CB original to the Brunswick Centennial set stays way cleaner than any of the Aramith branded CB's, to include the measles pro-cup. The only Aramith set I can't comment on is the Duramith formulation.

So IMO, if you have a blue circle centennial CB, and it gets very dirty, maybe it is worn with a bunch of micro scratches, that are holding the chalk. Any new set of balls stays cleaner much longer than the same set after its seen a significant amount of play, IMO.

I agree that the measle pro cup cue ball picks up chalk marks but not as badly as the blue circle. If you have seen red circle cue balls get more chalk marks than a blue circle cue ball, then I suspect you are using Chinese knock-off red circles, not genuine Aramith red circles.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few years ago I tried Diamond Professional Final Detail Wipe that comes in a one gallon container.
You apply it using a spray mist bottle. Apply & wipe the pools balls after being polished. It acts like
some protective coating or sealant or whatever you might want to think of it as but it does keep the
shine longer on the pool balls and the cue ball doesn’t mark up as fast and is more easily wiped clean.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Several years ago, I wrote to Saluc for more detailed information about their various cue balls. This link will direct you to my post from that time.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=4438077&postcount=64

Thanks - So that table shows that Super Aramith Pro resin is used for the blue circle and measle pro cup cue balls (always more chalk marks) - - that resin must be softer or somehow more porous than the Super Aramith resin that it shows is used for the red and black circle cue balls( less chalk marks).

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really?? This topic has been discussed many times before on this forum and you seem to be the only one with an opposing opinion. The Centennial blue circle cue ball is absolutely terrible in terms of picking up lots of chalk marks. I ended up throwing away two blue circle balls because they looked so bad and could not be cleaned to look decent. As stated many times, the Aramith red circle cue ball is much better for less chalk marks, and the Cyclops new large red dot cue ball is great for little to no chalk marks.
Also - using a little isopropyl alcohol on a paper towel is a quick, easy way to clean the cue ball.

Thanks for this info- carry my own ball set to where I play- been using an older Centennial blue circle that I had from my home table up North- you are correct- it has been developing spots that I just cannot get off the cue ball no matter what I try. I just ordered that Cyclops red dot cue ball today from Seyberts- can't wait to hit something clean again!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Bad NEWS is if you use your Pool Ball to play Pool much they will get dirty. Simple solution is an old or brand new t-short or piece of cotton fabric. To use with a bottle of any of the commercial Pool Ball Cleaner for sale at places like Pool Dawg, Sterling Gaming, Muellers etc.

Best way to keep a brand news set of Pool Balls Clean I definatly, it's never inbox them.:)

That was a LOL for those with no sense of humor. :D

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gave up.

Get an aramith tournament set.

I used a measel ball for like 2 weeks (that I'd just polished!) and it's got more chalk on it now than the tourney CB has from 2 years with no polish.

I just use blue master's chalk.

Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those marks we all have witnessed can only form from friction. That's should be obvious.

As a 3C player, clean balls and clean cloth are essential for a well set up table to play with proper angles. Moral is, with this game, in order to have reasonably predictable angles, the entire system needs to be clean. The System includes the balls AND the cloth. Table design is another story. Chalk? Unable to go there.

So here's what we have. Plastic balls moving and skidding across a wool and polyester blend surface generating static electricity in the ball. Chalk dust is powdery, abrasive and the balls are attracting this abrasive dust. That's one problem. Maybe think of every ball is like 3000grit sandpaper.

The next problem to address is the cleaning process. Removing chalk dust is simple. Just run it under the faucet for 2 seconds or add soap if you like. That doesn't address the micro scratches. They must to be removed. Think of those scratches as an extremely fine file or 5000grit paper. Make a 70degree cut or whatever and you have 2 plastic files scraping each other. Notice those marks are fairly large compared to what you would think is the contact surface area.

This leads to burnishing those micro scratches out. If you don't have an electric ball cleaner I recommend the Aramith Ball Restorer. The Aramith Cleaner isn't aggressive enough unless you clean every ball every hour or less. Now you need 2 or 3 sets. I have 6, but 6 sets of 3, not 16. And I do have power.

The object is to achieve a mirror finish/like new surface on the balls. All of them. If you're not cleaning the entire set, you're pissing up a rope trying to keep the CB in good shape.

The last piece of the puzzle is the cloth. You must keep that clean. I clean my table every hour or so of play. On the rare occasions I have a guest over I just wipe it down with a very lightly damp microfiber cloth. If not I vacuum, then come back with the damp cloth. Squeeze as much water out as possible. Lightly wipe. No scrubbing action.

Lastly, someone mentioned Cyclop balls. I have a set of these for carom and they do last longer than the Aramith. The Duramith (sp) formulation sounds like they should last even longer. Unfortunately for me, Saluc doesn't offer this in their carom ball offering.

Friction is your enemy on this. Do what you can to eliminate it.

Short of adding coatings to the surface.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me,The black Aramith logo ball that comes with the tournament set has a very similar finish to the red circle aramith cue ball, in terms of how easy it is to remove chalk marks and miscue marks, in comparison to other Aramith cue balls and the blue circle cue ball. Biggest difference I see is the black Aramith logo cue ball is a lot whiter in color than the red circle ball which is more cream / yellowish in color.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I use Masters or Predator blue chalk. On my home table, I keep it semi-clean, just like the tables I play on when I go out. The ball set I use (Aramith) I keep semi-clean, just like the ones I play with when I go out. The cue ball I wipe off between racks with a cloth baby diaper (unused). There are blue marks all over my cue ball, just like the ones when I go out.

I have had no discernible difference in my game whether I am playing with a clean cue ball or one with little tiny blue marks all over it. I'm not sure what would happen if I ever got to play with completely clean equipment.

It's still pool. :thumbup2:

Maniac

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own a blue circles, red circles and measles and couple more from aramith that are in new to old condition.

I also own at least one each of all cyclop cb's that are new to oldish.

Ever since I started using Taom Pyro chalk, I've literally had zero issues with chalk marks on cb or felt. As far as that goes, my rails stay much, much cleaner as well.

Anyone that has issues with chalk marks or they just like a really clean table and like the balls to stay as clean as possible during play should do themselves a huge favor and give taom a try.

If you get use to using taom chalk, you will literally tell people to please not use their "x" brand chalk when they play at your place. It's that good.

Jeff

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah. Taom Pyro is great. I can play 8 hours on our club tables and my hands are clean. Not even slight tilt to blue. It keeps balls and also cloth clean. Just get one for test.
Our club have middle age of 60 years and even all old players have made switch to Taom. It also last a LONG time.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah. Taom Pyro is great. I can play 8 hours on our club tables and my hands are clean. Not even slight tilt to blue. It keeps balls and also cloth clean. Just get one for test.
Our club have middle age of 60 years and even all old players have made switch to Taom. It also last a LONG time.

It's the only chalk I'll use on my home table, not to mention, I won't even think about using another chalk while playing 14.1.

I still suck at 14.1 but, not as much all the time. Taom hasn't made me a better player unfortunately but, when playing 14.1, I no longer have to worry about the cb or the ob...or the felt getting mucked up in the least. IMO, the balls spread better compared to using my other chalks.

The only drawback I've found is that it doesn't seem to work as well with tips harder than a medium-soft. The softer the tip, the better taom works.

I would say YMMV, but...it won't....lol... taom is the best chalk on the market IMO.

Jeff

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own a blue circles, red circles and measles and couple more from aramith that are in new to old condition.

I also own at least one each of all cyclop cb's that are new to oldish.

Ever since I started using Taom Pyro chalk, I've literally had zero issues with chalk marks on cb or felt. As far as that goes, my rails stay much, much cleaner as well.

Anyone that has issues with chalk marks or they just like a really clean table and like the balls to stay as clean as possible during play should do themselves a huge favor and give taom a try.

If you get use to using taom chalk, you will literally tell people to please not use their "x" brand chalk when they play at your place. It's that good.

Jeff
I completely agree with your opinion on Taom Pyro chalk. However, most people aren't going to pay $20+ for a cube of chalk, so I assume if you want them to use that chalk on your table, you're planning to provide it for them!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Masters or Predator blue chalk. On my home table, I keep it semi-clean, just like the tables I play on when I go out. The ball set I use (Aramith) I keep semi-clean, just like the ones I play with when I go out. The cue ball I wipe off between racks with a cloth baby diaper (unused). There are blue marks all over my cue ball, just like the ones when I go out.

I have had no discernible difference in my game whether I am playing with a clean cue ball or one with little tiny blue marks all over it. I'm not sure what would happen if I ever got to play with completely clean equipment.

Maniac
Really glad you added "unused" to the baby diaper. Not doing so would give new meaning to "skidmarks". ;)

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maniac

Agreed,
Your home table conditions should replicate the conditions where you compete.
Unfortunately I don't have many opportunities to compete in public rooms since most don't have 3C tables. So I replicate tournament conditions as best I can. Most 3C tournaments are played on new or relativity new cloth and new balls. Lots of slide!!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I completely agree with your opinion on Taom Pyro chalk. However, most people aren't going to pay $20+ for a cube of chalk, so I assume if you want them to use that chalk on your table, you're planning to provide it for them!

Hi Chris. Yes sir, I supply people with taom chalk when they play on my table.

Then again, most everyone thats tried taom chalk at my place has bought their own and brought it with them.

Your correct about "most people" but, people that pay upwards of a few thousand for a pool cue, several more thousand for a table and light, several more hundred for a few sets of balls, a few more hundred for a ball cleaner.....you get the point....... that's the type people that play at my place. Not a one of them give even a second thought about $20 for a cube of chalk.

In the end though, you are correct. The average room (public rooms) goer doesn't spend that much on chalk.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed,
Your home table conditions should replicate the conditions where you compete.
Unfortunately I don't have many opportunities to compete in public rooms since most don't have 3C tables. So I replicate tournament conditions as best I can. Most 3C tournaments are played on new or relativity new cloth and new balls. Lots of slide!!

Replicating room environments is the best thing to do.

People like myself keep their equipment in extremely good condition for ^^^^^^^ very reason.

I rarely go to public rooms unless I'm going to play in an event. Each and every single one of the events that I have participated in have all had:

New felt
New or close to new balls
Tables have been checked to make sure they are perfect as possible

It's not so smart to practice on mucked up felt and with old worn balls only to go and play in conditions that are just the opposite.

Jeff

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Replicating room environments is the best thing to do.

People like myself keep their equipment in extremely good condition for ^^^^^^^ very reason.

I rarely go to public rooms unless I'm going to play in an event. Each and every single one of the events that I have participated in have all had:

New felt
New or close to new balls
Tables have been checked to make sure they are perfect as possible

It's not so smart to practice on mucked up felt and with old worn balls only to go and play in conditions that are just the opposite.

Jeff
HOW many tournaments offer the "perfect conditions" you refer to? Part of playing pool is being able to adapt(quickly) to varying conditions. The only places i know of that even come close are the big, major events. New "cloth", balls and "perfect" tables? Dream on.