Mosconi Cup Watching Live

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, that's it. I'm poor. You fail at reading.
I'm just fine and will retire in a couple years at age 50ish, so get bent.
I JUST SAID I would donate to help the team train for the match you reading-comprehension impaired …
I don't get charged to watch the Davis Cup.
I don't get charged to watch the Olympics.
If you actually want to grow pool interest you don't charge the small core base to watch the match.
Please put me on ignore, I'm tired of your crap.
You're actually trying to compare pro tennis, the Olympics and pool?? Seriously? BTW, most of the Olympics and the Davis Cup are on cable/stream pay service. Unless you're stealing someone else's signal you ARE paying for those events. Why should Matchroom show the MC for free?

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Tennis has a huge international fan base that has so many more fans than pool, that the millions of eyes on any broadcast commands very high advertising rates, and more than makes up for any filming costs.

The Olympics has a huge international fan base that has so many more fans than pool, that the millions of eyes on any broadcast commands very high advertising rates, and more than makes up for any filming costs.

Pool gets MAYBE 2000 concurrent viewers on free streams, which we get on events like the world 9 ball championships, which are hosted by Qatar ONLY for the purposes of attempting to give their Islamic leadership some validity on the world stage. Or on BCA/APA-sponsored events that are basically online advertisements for the league in question. Anyone attempting to do a for-profit broadcast of pool content better be prepared to pony up some cash to pay the networks to broadcast it, and then attempt to recoup their op front costs via PPV/merchandising, etc.

If you got all the ideas on how Matchroom can "totally broadcast for free and make a profit in the SPECIFIC market conditions pool must operate under, that are totally different than tennis and the Olympics", then I HIGHLY suggest you give Barry Hearns a ring and tell him your ideas, so he can get away from the bad ideas that have made the Mosconi Cup successful heretofore.

Thank you for your intelligent, adult response.
You made valid points without insulting anyone.
You're growing up right in front of us.
I will still be working and unable to watch, unfortunately.
I'm jealous of those who can, and will be hoping for updates on the forum.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Thank you for your intelligent, adult response.
You made valid points without insulting anyone.
You're growing up right in front of us.
I will still be working and unable to watch, unfortunately.
I'm jealous of those who can, and will be hoping for updates on the forum.

Realistically, this stuff ought to be self-evident to anyone who's not stuck in "me me me" mode. I am not saying thatto insult you, it's just that I hear way too often on this forum and on Facebook, people talking about the "reasons" for pool failing as a sport in America, and attributing it to stuff like cost of streams, etc.

There is one reason, and one reason only for pool failing in America, and elsewhere. The main demographic all competitive sports/games rely on... Young, competitive males..... Is doing things other than playing pool these days. They have no pool halls they are allowed in... And competitive video gaming, with prize funds, is a thing. And it costs much less to both git gud at, and to compete at, than playing pool.

I very much think that misattributing the lessening popularity of pool to areas that have no real relevance is destructive, and counterproductive. If we can't identify the real causes, we can never address them and try to correct them.

Young, competitive males simply have many other entertainment/competitive alternatives that are a heckuva lot easier to access than a pool hall these days. So, as older players die off or leave the game, there is no one to replace them. It's not rocket science, and it has nothing to do with the cost of a single pool stream.

Pool is still relevant to some extent in Europe because of the extremely organized, tiered league system in most European countries, that provides a structured way to compare yourself to the next player. But even here, participation is falling.

Last edited:

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try and find a decent group to play bridge with in most places outside a retirement home or folks who will be there soon, lol.

Back in the day when I was a kid, we had a table at our house and two of my best friends each had tables at their houses. The student union at U of I had big old Brunswicks and a 12 lane bowling alley back in the day - no more. Of all the kids my kids would have over from time to time when they were little and as they got older - my house is the only house any of them encountered a pool table. And pretty much none of them could play a lick and it rarely got used.

Different times, but it's all been hashed over and over.

Free Mosconi Cup viewing throughout the world to "grow pool" - someone doesn't understand much about any of it.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the Glass City Open one year, they offered to pay the players in the semi-finals $500, which was televised, to compete with these Elephant balls. Nobody could stop laughing, and no, they didn't do it. Look at the black cueball. Troy Frank couldn't believe his eyes.

Attachments

• Elephant Balls.JPG
    Elephant Balls.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 599

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually agree with you. I find myself playing much less pool and staying home and playing online chess or video games. Chess gives me a chance to be competitive and I am guaranteed to find a game which I can not say for going to the pool hall. Plus online chess does not cost me gas, tolls, table time, gambling money, food and drinks.

Realistically, this stuff ought to be self-evident to anyone who's not stuck in "me me me" mode. I am not saying thatto insult you, it's just that I hear way too often on this forum and on Facebook, people talking about the "reasons" for pool failing as a sport in America, and attributing it to stuff like cost of streams, etc.

There is one reason, and one reason only for pool failing in America, and elsewhere. The main demographic all competitive sports/games rely on... Young, competitive males..... Is doing things other than playing pool these days. They have no pool halls they are allowed in... And competitive video gaming, with prize funds, is a thing. And it costs much less to both git gud at, and to compete at, than playing pool.

I very much think that misattributing the lessening popularity of pool to areas that have no real relevance is destructive, and counterproductive. If we can't identify the real causes, we can never address them and try to correct them.

Young, competitive males simply have many other entertainment/competitive alternatives that are a heckuva lot easier to access than a pool hall these days. So, as older players die off or leave the game, there is no one to replace them. It's not rocket science, and it has nothing to do with the cost of a single pool stream.

Pool is still relevant to some extent in Europe because of the extremely organized, tiered league system in most European countries, that provides a structured way to compare yourself to the next player. But even here, participation is falling.

MD1108

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MC Streaming

Question:

In another thread- "MC Line-Up for Day 1" (I also posted this in that thread), there was a Facebook link for streaming. Will the States still be dependent on DAZN as our sole provider? Or has there been some change and now Facebook is also open to American viewership?
Appreciate any new info on this subject. Thanks.

Last edited:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Does DAZN have the replay to watch anytime? I'm be working the next two days and I don't want to pay for only today and Thursday and Thurs is a maybe right now.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had never heard of DAZN before today. But $20 to watch the Mosconi Cup seems reasonable. And on iPhone I was able to sign up and then immediately cancel and still access my subscription until 12/25, so no chance I'll forget and keep paying. Stream has been great so far.

GrandmaSter

Registered
It seems that the cueball, which used to be ginger, now has the plague, the 5-ball has come out of the closet, and the 9-ball is a black person. Have a great cup everybody from yurops!

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
DAZN gives you the option of suspending your account as well. I signed up for World Cup of Pool in June then suspended it until this week. After Mosconi I'll suspend it again.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I tried to sign up for a DAZN account normally, but, being I am an American living in Germany, it refused almost all my payment methods. I did end up getting a one month gift card from amazon.de and got in no problems, with no recurring monthly charge. Got a month free too, so I am good until 01/25/2020.. :smile:

This may be an option through American Amazon, for those who don't dig the recurring option.

MD1108

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MC Stream question and DAZN

It’s $20. Pay for the stream you cheap f$&&s!

I had already signed up and paid for account on DAZN just for Mosconi Cup when I posted my question regarding Facebook link that TrentfromToledo included in another thread.
Not being familiar with DAZN, I wanted options in case there were issues. The DAZN stream for me on Day 1 did have several glitches which were also reported by several others members here on AZ, but the HD was great when working at 100%. Hopefully Day 2 and remainder of the Cup goes super smooth. Looking forward to the action.

Last edited: