Opinions from extensive, long term use of any of the new Moori Jewel tips???

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you've had more than a cursory tryout with any of the Moori Jewel line of tips, I'd appreciate your feedback. Are any of such quality as to replicate the illusive and storied Moori Original? Any substantive information is difficult at best to glean from their website, even after an approximate translation. If you think this is hard to understand, you should see where I started c. 30 minutes ago!! :smile:

Thanks for any info you might be able to provide...

TIP-MMARGR-150x150.jpg
Tap Maury Jewel malachite (green) rose
Selling price 2,000 yen (excluding tax)
StockMail service
DURO numerical 89.1

TIP-MJEWELRU-150x150.jpg
TIP-MJEWELRU
Tap Maury Jewel Ruby (Jewel Ruby) rose
Selling price 1,600 yen (excluding tax)
StockMail service
DURO numerical 89.5

TIP-MJEWEL-150x150.jpg
TIP-MJEWEL
Tap Maury Jewel (Jewel) rose
Selling price 2,000 yen (excluding tax)
StockMail service
DURO numerical 87.6

TIP-M5
Tap Maury V rose
Selling price 1,800 yen (excluding tax)
StockMail service
DORO numerical 88.0

TIP-M3Q14
Tap Maury 4 Quick-14 (Rose)
Sale price of 1,000 yen (excluding tax)
StockMail service
DURO numerical 90.7

TIP-M3M14
Tap Maury 4 Medium-14 (Rose)
out of stockMail service
DURO numerical 90.4

TIP-M3S14
Tap Maury 4 Slow-14 (Rose)
StockMail service
DURO numerical 88.9

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
The Ruby tips are medium, spin great and cut like butter. I shoot firm often and the mushroom hasn't happened much yet.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I've put in about 40-50 hours of play (includes breaking as well) with my Malachite green now.
The website describes it as a soft tip, and is supposed to hold it's shape better than other soft tips, so I decided to leave it alone to see how much the tip will deform with long-term use.

Cutting/Installation
Installed mine by hand, and the cut was very clean and smooth.
The laminating is very solid with no noticeable glue residue between layers.

Initial use:
I found it to be extremely grippy and was getting more spin than I expected, which threw me off a little.
It's also softer than what I was used to and I was underhitting shots at first (it firmed up a little after some use). The green striping on the sides of the tip looks cool, but a little distracting for me so I colored it over with a marker.

After 10-20 hours of play:
Very slight mushrooming, not noticeable and doesn't affect play. Holds chalk well, starting to settle in between soft and medium, which is what I'm used to using. Consistent action, especially with draw shots.

After 30-40 hours of play:
Again, mushrooming is still slight, can be felt with the fingers but not very noticeable and doesn't affect play. No maintenance required so far. Two issues I had are: I had to start using a break cue because the tip is too grippy to break with (a slight mishit will put a lot of spin on the cue ball), and masse shots curved a lot sooner than with my usual tip so I had to adjust to it.

For regular play, it's very consistent and provides good feel. The leather quality is very good and laminating is top-notch, with no glazing so far and limited mushrooming, so it looks to be a low-maintenance tip. I'll post a picture of it later so you can see how much mushrooming has taken place.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seem to be playing pretty soft despite their relatively high Duro ratings.

I think my Moori Medium is c. 75. I realize the Duro isn't the totally definitive answer; just sort of surprising with well over ten points higher of a rating and playing sort of soft.

Dumb question of the day. Are the Asians comparing apples to apples with their Duro numbers? They show the Moori IV at c. 90. Most charts I've consulted show that medium c. 75. :scratchhead:

Last edited:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Not sure but they might be using a different duro scale. The numbers definitely don't match up.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Kamui numbers from the Newart website:

Kamui Black
H 96.2
M 93.5
S 88.8
SS 86.5
Kamui Original
H 95.4
M 93.4
S 89.8
SS 87.0

Definitely a different scale, but if you compare Moori numbers to the numbers above, it should give you a good idea of how hard the tips are.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kamui numbers from the Newart website:

Kamui Black
H 96.2
M 93.5
S 88.8
SS 86.5
Kamui Original
H 95.4
M 93.4
S 89.8
SS 87.0

Definitely a different scale, but if you compare Moori numbers to the numbers above, it should give you a good idea of how hard the tips are.

Thanks for that. I'm using a Kamui clear medium black currently. So I think perhaps the Moori's should be just about right since I want to get someplace between my other cue with a Moori IV medium and the now, hardened up Kamui.

I'm hoping to get a really solid hit, but not so hard so as to be a "harsh" hit. More like a dull "tink" than a harsh "clack". I hate to use those fancy scientific terms, but that's what I'm after.

I'm leaning toward the J Jewel. I've been known to have a few less than perfect hits on the CB, and don't want a tip that will exasperate that sort of thing such as they suggest is possible with a Ruby or Malachite which may impart even more spin than the J.

Am I anywhere close to understanding these tips??? Given the wide appeal of Moori tips outside of Japan, it certainly would be wonderful if Moori could offer a "made for US" version of their website. I wonder if Mr. Moori actually realizes how popular his "Original" tips really were???

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played about 10 hours with the Ruby tip and I have installed about 5 rubys for other players. It plays firmer than I'd expect from installing them, because they cut like butter. I'ts a tad firmer than the Kamui Black M tip, but holds chalk alot better, and almost no mushrooming.
The jewel is slightly softer, holds chalk well and has a more pleasant sound when contacting the ball. Played with it for about 20 hours and installed about 10 Jewels for other players, feedback is very good.

Still waiting on the Jewel Malachite...

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
Sigh... Ordered a dozen of the malachite but they have been stuck in customs for 28 days now. Customs has been taking every minute of their 30 allowable days to inspect packages these days, especially when the port of call is LA.

Hopefully a direct comparison on identical 12.00mm Ariel Carmeli shafts between the malachite and Moori VI medium will be coming soon.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
First impressions

this isnt extensive use so i hope the op is ok with my post
on my ob1 shaft i put the malachite green
on my ob1+ shaft i put the ruby
and on a ob 2+ shaft i put a moori soft
after maybe 2 hours of play
they all had slight mushrooming
all held chalk well and played well
minor differences in feel the ruby feeling the most firm
and had the harshest (not sure if thats the best word for description) click sound on impact
moori soft the softest sound on impact and the softest feel
to me the differences are subtle and i could play with all of them
all though i am partial to a softer tip
so the soft and the green would be my first 2 choices
i need to put a jewel on a shaft so i can compare all 3
i may not be that sensitive to equipment as others are

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just put on a MJ (the black one) a couple days ago. I've been using Ultraskins for a quite a while. This MJ feels harder than the US and I'm having trouble at the moment with it.

I'm playing 3C and just can't get the shots going well. Last night I switched cues with one that has a new US and started clicking off shots like I should. I'm going to give it a few more hours of play before I decide to take it off. I only have a few hours in with this and hoping its just not broke in yet.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got tired of trying to talk myself into the new Moori tips. They really need an English friendly website.

Just got my OBXL+ with a Zan Premium Soft. After only a week's play @ c. 6 racks/day, I really like it.

With 14.1 of course no mushrooming. Really grips well. The tip surface is still as slightly rough as before I took my 1st shot.

For a Duro rating of 66, I feel as though it plays like a medium. For me, this is a good thing. I was worried that it would hit like a marshmallow. Even with the layered maple ferrule, with an open bridge I get a really nice "muted" ping. A closed bridge is a bit quieter.

Not important, but the blue tip doesn't show chalk on the sides when I'm careless.

I normally wouldn't drop $27 on a tip, but since Seyberts doesn't charge labor for a tip upgrade, I went with it.

We all will have differing opinions, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Zan to a friend.

SC Hollywood

Registered
Bob,
I have a Schon with an OB classic shaft, I installed a Moori Jewel on it ~ 6 or 7 months ago and my experience with it is that it pretty much shoots the same now as it did when I installed it. If it has changed at all it's so subtle that I can't tell the difference. Of all the tips I've tried over the last couple years the Moori Jewel is my favorite so far, "Kamui's are my least favorite by far"! I've installed Moori Jewels on several of my customers cues and all of them say they absolutely love them. This is the only one of the new Moori's I've tried so far. Hope this helps.

wreiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ive put these on two of the better players cue I have recently built and they love them. They are diehard med tip guys, but the combination of the med hit with the soft grip has raised their play some. They do mushroom if not kept up with. But one of the players likes his tip flatish. But he wanted to see what it would do for 6 months with out reshaping it, he was very happy with it. But last week I reshape it and he shot lights out.

The other guy play 6 days a week and so far he has been happy as a clam... so much I keep a few in stock for these guys.
My own personal experience with it was on an OB classic, it got a lot of grip, but was a bit to soft for my game. But it is most definitely softer than a morri med .
I think exceptional players can get a lot out of this tip

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Never another Moori

I got burned on some fake moori tips ( the original medium moori )
I figure its just a matter of time these new moori tips get counter fitted ,

I am not going to buy there tips when the let everyone of their customers at the mercy of the counter fitters for a decade with zero info on how to tell the real moori tips rom the fakes.

I believe the counter fitted tips were being sold by all the major pool cue making supply houses.... ( That means who ever was the moori /usa Rep or the person in charge of moori tips was involved in inserting these fakes into the USA billiard supply houses .

Thousands of cue repairmen where getting sold fake moori tips to the point no one wanted a moori tip any more .

Moori tip company did nothing , That's weird the moori company did nothing to warn us about the mass a mount of moori knock offs. and they were being sold from the billiard supply house .....
Inside job ........ same person who delivered the original moori tips was the same person delivering the fakes or knock off tips.

The worst part is I have a hand full of fake moori tips that look like the originals that are completely worthless .

I think moori made one of the best cue tips in the world ,
But there was a issue of the fakes , and I don't care to get burned later on down the road .
I hold the Moori factory accountable that they had to know about the fakes tips and I and they didn't warn or educated us on how to ID the real from the fake tips.

Sorry to say but that is my personal feeling on this topic .
I don't want to get burned again,....

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got burned on some fake moori tips ( the original medium moori )
I figure its just a matter of time these new moori tips get counter fitted ,

I am not going to buy there tips when the let everyone of their customers at the mercy of the counter fitters for a decade with zero info on how to tell the real moori tips rom the fakes.

I believe the counter fitted tips were being sold by all the major pool cue making supply houses.... ( That means who ever was the moori /usa Rep or the person in charge of moori tips was involved in inserting these fakes into the USA billiard supply houses .

Thousands of cue repairmen where getting sold fake moori tips to the point no one wanted a moori tip any more .

Moori tip company did nothing , That's weird the moori company did nothing to warn us about the mass a mount of moori knock offs. and they were being sold from the billiard supply house .....
Inside job ........ same person who delivered the original moori tips was the same person delivering the fakes or knock off tips.

The worst part is I have a hand full of fake moori tips that look like the originals that are completely worthless .

I think moori made one of the best cue tips in the world ,
But there was a issue of the fakes , and I don't care to get burned later on down the road .
I hold the Moori factory accountable that they had to know about the fakes tips and I and they didn't warn or educated us on how to ID the real from the fake tips.

Sorry to say but that is my personal feeling on this topic .
I don't want to get burned again,....

agreed 100%, never bought into that sweet innocent old man moori act
lol

also, I've played with one for a while now, got flat real fast and is nothing special in the least