Which balls stay the cleanest for longer?

Sean Hallett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't decide which set of balls to get. I've got very used Aramith premier atm and they always get dirty and the cue ball just absorbs chalk and stains!
I have a new and sealed set of Aramith super pro tv's but i'm thinking of selling them and buying Aramith Tournament, Cyclop Hyperion or maybe Predator arco 2 balls.
I like the look of the cyclop hyperion the most but i'm not sure if the quality is as good as duramith from the tournament set? Or is the Tournament set that much of a step up from the super pro's? Which set has the best cue ball to get more action on it?
I also don't know anything about the predator balls.

Which set would you say stays cleaner, which set has the best cue ball and what is the best set overall?

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found the cleanliness of the cloth on the table makes more difference than the difference between Super-Pro and Duramith.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in the process of doing a somewhat scientific experiment. I have brand new in the box sets of cyclop, Aramith tournament, and centennials. I was going to hit 200 racks with each, without cleaning the balls, and try to grade the cleanliness of each set. I only got through the cyclop, and then put the whole thing on hold. Ps, this was a year ago. Ha ha. Anyway, in those 200 racks, I could not believe how clean the balls stayed. Unlike my normal playing set of super Aramith pros. It was night and day.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Similar experience. Cyclops have stayed the cleanest for me. Not sure why, just my experience. Super pros got dirty quick.

Sean Hallett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in the process of doing a somewhat scientific experiment. I have brand new in the box sets of cyclop, Aramith tournament, and centennials. I was going to hit 200 racks with each, without cleaning the balls, and try to grade the cleanliness of each set. I only got through the cyclop, and then put the whole thing on hold. Ps, this was a year ago. Ha ha. Anyway, in those 200 racks, I could not believe how clean the balls stayed. Unlike my normal playing set of super Aramith pros. It was night and day.
That sounds like a good experiment, if you ever end up completing it let me know or make a thread!
If it was a year ago would that be the cyclop zeus and not the hyperion? I've heard a lot of issues with the zeus so i'm trying to stay clear of them.

Sean Hallett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found the cleanliness of the cloth on the table makes more difference than the difference between Super-Pro and Duramith.
My table is pretty clean but I think it's when I pick the balls up with bare hands and any kind of moisture just sticks to the aramith premier set. I don't want to open the super pro cups to test because I want to sell them

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Cyclop is my choice. It has been so long since I played with my Aramith Pros or my Centennials that I should just sell them.

All these sets stay clean when the are new but as they age the Cyclops will stay cleaner much much better for me. I'm going on about five years with them and I play a decent amount.

I will say that the Cyclop balls skid more when they do get dirty but they clean quickly and are hard with a very durable finish.

The number one thing I do that makes a difference is I don't chalk my break cue and just hit center ball, I rarely miscue. If I play at a pool room I use chalk when I am breaking just in case, the balls in a commercial room are never super clean anyways.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Never used the cyclop balls but the aramith duramith balls are very good on staying clean

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cyclop, for me.

I have them and super pros and it isn't even close. After about 6+ hr of play with the aramiths, the get real sticky.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ditto. I like the look of the Aramith Duramith tournament set, but only use my Cyclops set( regular colors) at home now because they stay cleaner than the Aramiths

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
If only the cue-ball is worn out and the rest of the set looks fine, then consider getting a replacement cue ball rather than replacing the entire set.

sgonzalez34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ditto. I like the look of the Aramith Duramith tournament set, but only use my Cyclops set( regular colors) at home now because they stay cleaner than the Aramiths

Ditto for me, except that I have the Skittles colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't decide which set of balls to get. I've got very used Aramith premier atm and they always get dirty and the cue ball just absorbs chalk and stains!
I have a new and sealed set of Aramith super pro tv's but i'm thinking of selling them and buying Aramith Tournament, Cyclop Hyperion or maybe Predator arco 2 balls.
I like the look of the cyclop hyperion the most but i'm not sure if the quality is as good as duramith from the tournament set? Or is the Tournament set that much of a step up from the super pro's? Which set has the best cue ball to get more action on it?

Which set would you say stays cleaner, which set has the best cue ball and what is the best set overall?
The Aramith Tournament ball stays the cleanest and shiniest of all the balls we use here, which include Brunswick Centennials and Aramith Super Pro. I don't know if that has anything to do with the duramith process. I can't comment on the Cyclop balls as we've never tried them, but I've heard from a very knowledgeable and reputable source that the newer Cyclop balls are of excellent playing quality as opposed to the first ones that came out a few years ago.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have Aramiths, Centennials, and Cyclop.

The Cyclop stay much cleaner. Supposedly it's because they have a higher resin content, therefore they're harder and therefore can be polished to a finer finish. Therefore crappo doesn't stick to their surface as much.

Lou Figueroa
therefore

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
A new set of balls are not porous from friction, wear and tear and ball cleaning.
Having opened and ran/owned rooms in my earlier years, wiping them down with a damp cloth is all that's needed.
Keep anything abrasive away from the ball set.
Once the outer surface of your ball set has been worn down/compromised, this is normal behavior for your ball set.
I played in a room in MN where they CLEANED The balls after every table use. The ball set, if you played 2 hours, you could wipe a Visible, line in the ball with your finger from the dirt the ball had picked up during play.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A new set of balls are not porous from friction, wear and tear and ball cleaning.
Having opened and ran/owned rooms in my earlier years, wiping them down with a damp cloth is all that's needed.
Keep anything abrasive away from the ball set.
Once the outer surface of your ball set has been worn down/compromised, this is normal behavior for your ball set.
I played in a room in MN where they CLEANED The balls after every table use. The ball set, if you played 2 hours, you could wipe a Visible, line in the ball with your finger from the dirt the ball had picked up during play.

…...so the cloth was just dirty AF ????