Which set of rules did you enjoy more?

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wanting to see which made for more exciting pro pool for the people here who watched and followed.

The World 10 Ball
The US Open 10 ball
Turning Stone Classic

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10 Ball Last

I like the 10 Ball Last rule for the pro game. It was a cool thing to see the pro's have to run the entire rack by plan.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wanting to see which made for more exciting pro pool for the people here who watched and followed.

The World 10 Ball
The US Open 10 ball
Turning Stone Classic
Of these three i'd take TS 9ball. My favorite game is modified-WPA 10ball. Same rules with one exception: you can carom/combo the 10b(called of course) to win. IMO its more fun to play and watch. 10b last might be a tad tougher but its not as good to watch. Just my $.02, nothin' else.

YoungAtHeart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of the 3 options given by the OP, I would say 10ball WC.

IMO it would be good to the same rules used for more comps.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Of these three i'd take TS 9ball. My favorite game is modified-WPA 10ball. Same rules with one exception: you can carom/combo the 10b(called of course) to win. IMO its more fun to play and watch. 10b last might be a tad tougher but its not as good to watch. Just my $.02, nothin' else.

I much prefer Zuglan’s 9-ball rules.
To me, call shots and no early money balls reeks of ‘bar rules’ thinking.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If were voting then i would go with 10 ball rules, not last ball. I like the TS rules for everything else.
Edit. Hmm looks like i agree with the cigar czar :)

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I much prefer Zuglan’s 9-ball rules.
To me, call shots and no early money balls reeks of ‘bar rules’ thinking.
What's wrong with called shots at the pro level? I know they don't s%^t too many in but it still happens.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
What's wrong with called shots at the pro level? I know they don't s%^t too many in but it still happens.

There is skill in playing for multiple outcomes when you’re in a trap.

One of many examples
9-ball....7-8-9 are left...7-ball in middle of end rail...one inch off rail.
..8-ball...one diamond away on same rail
9-ball near the pocket on the other side of the same same rail
Cue-ball...other end of the table...3 inches off the rail..just gotta cut the 7 a bit for long bank.

From that distance, I don’t feel like a favorite to make the bank
..and I don’t feel like a favorite to carom the 8...(.9-ball to far up for carom)
So I jacked up with a hair of low left english
...if I play the bank AND the carom I feel I’m much closer to even money to get out

I made both...and cut the 9-ball in for the match...:happydance:

3-cushion is rife with these situations...so it’s more obvious that calling everything would
take skill OUT of the game.

Tomorrow I’ll take a pic of the situation

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

The World 10 Ball
The US Open 10 ball
Turning Stone Classic

Zuglan’s rules for me are the best of these three. I’d put the WPA World 10-ball as the worst.

In the end, the rulesets didn’t effect the outcome. The best playing players won the respective events.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I prefer the US Open 9 ball rules to any others. Winner breaks loser racks. You did not have a 4th choice. If any of those events have winner break loser rack, that would be the event I would choose.

Any of your 3 event choices....do it this way?

Having played and beaten almost every top player in winner break rotation pool tournaments, I will never change my position on this point of view.

In rotation pool, it's the job of the winner to break, as its the job of the loser of the last rack to legally rack the balls in such an order/manner, to NOT allow the breaker to make a ball.

It' the ONLY defense you have when it's played in this correct manner. There's nothing better than seeing large packages in a match and the fight back. The breaker racking their own is too much ''letting the fox'' in the henhouse.

Winner break matches are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster....while ones racking the others preparing their break and rolling the balls from the upper pockets to you, good use of time.

Was very enjoyable watching Neils at Mandalay, break and run a 6 pack on Orcullo outta the gate

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I prefer the US Open 9 ball rules to any others. Winner breaks loser racks. You did not have a 4th choice. If any of those events have winner break loser rack, that would be the event I would choose.

Any of your 3 event choices....do it this way?

Having played and beaten almost every top player in winner break rotation pool tournaments, I will never change my position on this point of view.

In rotation pool, it's the job of the winner to break, as its the job of the loser of the last rack to legally rack the balls in such an order/manner, to NOT allow the breaker to make a ball.

It' the ONLY defense you have when it's played in this correct manner. There's nothing better than seeing large packages in a match and the fight back. The breaker racking their own is too much ''letting the fox'' in the henhouse.

Winner break matches are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster....while ones racking the others preparing their break and rolling the balls from the upper pockets to you, good use of time.

Was very enjoyable watching Neils at Mandalay, break and run a 6 pack on Orcullo outta the gate

Turning Stone is Winner Breaks from the box, loser racks. There was very little rack checking. I don't know if Zuglan was enforcing that.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Zuglan’s rules for me are the best of these three. I’d put the WPA World 10-ball as the worst.

In the end, the rulesets didn’t effect the outcome. The best playing players won the respective events.

I was also wondering if any actual matches would have turned out differently, had they been played by one of the other rule sets.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I was also wondering if any actual matches would have turned out differently, had they been played by one of the other rule sets.

The best player wins if you turned a fire hose on the table...
..and had to shoot odd-numbered balls jacked up one-hand...
...but it would make the game ugly

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes indeed........!!
:thumbup:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Turning Stone is Winner Breaks from the box, loser racks. There was very little rack checking. I don't know if Zuglan was enforcing that.

Usually the character of the man will tell you if you need to ck the rack or not. Thx for the Zuglan heads up, hope to play there one time before I slow down. Gotta play first, about 4 weeks out for my table install.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is skill in playing for multiple outcomes when you’re in a trap.

One of many examples
9-ball....7-8-9 are left...7-ball in middle of end rail...one inch off rail.
..8-ball...one diamond away on same rail
9-ball near the pocket on the other side of the same same rail
Cue-ball...other end of the table...3 inches off the rail..just gotta cut the 7 a bit for long bank.

From that distance, I don’t feel like a favorite to make the bank
..and I don’t feel like a favorite to carom the 8...(.9-ball to far up for carom)
So I jacked up with a hair of low left english
...if I play the bank AND the carom I feel I’m much closer to even money to get out

I made both...and cut the 9-ball in for the match...:happydance:

3-cushion is rife with these situations...so it’s more obvious that calling everything would
take skill OUT of the game.

Tomorrow I’ll take a pic of the situation

So why is 10 ball played no slop?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
So why is 10 ball played no slop?

Because the WPA wanted to have a different looking game. Rather than just play 10-ball the traditional ,historic way (slop, just like 9-ball), they added the "call shot" rule in order to have a "unique" game for another World Championship discipline.

The WPA further tweaked with:

• 10-ball on the break is not a win
  • 10-ball must be the last ball
  • Wrongfully Pocket balls, incoming shooter can pass back

None of these were part of the original rules of 10-ball.

Freddie <~~~ reminiscing

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree with 'ya here.