The Young Guns Match-Up

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's possible to be a good promoter and a not so good commentator. You're correct that the production value has been very good, but I'll agree to disagree on Ra's commentary. He spends way too much time talking to/about the chat room and shouting out his friends. To blow smoke and say that he's doing everything perfect is to rob him of constructive criticism needed to improve his commentating.

Only way you lose to trolls is engaging them.

He doesn't need to talk about everybody he's banning. It's a free stream so fire away at whoever is out of line

It is great video production. I do really like it.

These guys play much too slow for me. They aren't gambling either which makes it less interesting. What is interesting is seeing them go in and out if their best games. Tyler really stepped it up after his last break.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope At Large has BNR stats. Tyler breaks good. Not SVB good, but close. His after the break game can still use a lot of work, but he's still young.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could say hi energy or you could say overbearing. JJ is everyone's favorite commentator except myself, and he has the energy of a dazed sloth.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree Jay, I think Sal and Ra are doing a great job. That being said, I wonder if they could get someone else to jump in the booth every once in a while if for no other reason than to change it up a bit because of how long the race is? The person doesn't even have to actually be there. I've watched some recent videos where Railbirds TV had Skyler commentate remotely on some matches Maybe Ra can get Jeremy Jones, or another pro, to step in sometimes. Someone to commentate that is firmly in Tyler's camp along with someone on Chris's side might be interesting as well, as long as they're both knowledgable. It might draw a little more interest as well as a different view.

If it wasn't for the quarantine going on here I would have loved to come out there and sit in for a while while either guy got some rest. Maybe next time that will happen. No question Ra has his own unique style. But overall I think he is entertaining and informative in the booth.

I worked with Syd Waddel the most popular commentator in Great Britain at the time, and I couldn't understand most of what he was saying. He had the thickest cockney accent, spoke fast and tended to slur his words as well. And the fans loved him, so go figure.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
If it wasn't for the quarantine going on here I would have loved to come out there and sit in for a while while either guy got some rest. Maybe next time that will happen. No question Ra has his own unique style. But overall I think he is entertaining and informative in the booth.

I worked with Syd Waddel the most popular commentator in Great Britain at the time, and I couldn't understand most of what he was saying. He had the thickest cockney accent, spoke fast and tended to slur his words as well. And the fans loved him, so go figure.
Here are some Sidisms for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aKiDZRGRGo

stunshotDAVE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Sal does it perfect. Ra is a little chattier than needs to be for my liking but maybe that's better for the younger crew. You can't fault the camera work, lighting and production value. Great setup. For those who didn't think Tyler was a good Mosconi pick...go watch the last 10 racks. If both could improve their safety/kicking/tactical portion of their games they would be Top tier but this is a common issue with most of the younger players. It was true of a 21 year old SVB. When he would get into ticky-tacky safety play he would look uncomfortable. The only players who seemed good at that was Alex P and Corey. They fell out of their Mom's being able to execute those things.

nick, can you post link,,, very frustrating, not able to watch live. thanks

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree. It's not easy to maintain such a high level of energy throughout a long match like this and Ra does it, and he does it well imo. If you really listen to what he has to say, it becomes clear that Ra is no dummy about pool. He knows what's going on out there on the table and often makes good observations that add to the commentary. I think he and Sal make a good team and are doing a terrific job of calling this match. JMHO as always. :)
You’re totally right that it’s not easy to maintain that high level of energy through out a long match. Ra is absolutely a machine in that regard. But to me him in the booth is like listening to one song on repeat over and over. Even if you like the song, it’s only a matter of time before you need a break. I appreciate Ra and with his enthusiasm and passion you know his productions are just gonna get better and better.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
any packs?

Styer had a 3-pack and a 2-pack on Day 1 and a 4-pack and a 2-pack on Day 2.

Robinson had a 2-pack on Day 1.

All other B&Rs were singles.

... These guys play much too slow for me. ...

They averaged 6.8 minutes per game on Day 1 and 7.0 minutes per game on Day 2.

By way of comparison:
  • Filler/Aranas race to 100, March 2020 -- 4.1 minutes per game
    Van Boening/Orcollo race to 120, Nov. 2019 -- 5.7
    Van Boening/Shaw race to 100, Aug, 2019 -- 4.8

I hope At Large has BNR stats. Tyler breaks good. Not SVB good, but close. His after the break game can still use a lot of work, but he's still young.

B&Rs: Styer is 24 of 66 (36%) through two days; Robinson is 11 of 60 (18%).

JMiller1975

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

On Railbirds TV they have Sky Woodward commentating from home. I think he just watches the stream while he's quarantined.

Not sure I've heard Syd, but I usually enjoy listening to Brits and their dry "humour"

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
36% is strong for 10b. He should be an 800+ fargo player, but he's far from it.

JMiller1975

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Styer's missed shots and fouls are about 50% higher than Robinson's so far.

If you were to base who you thought was going to win just off the break and run stats you posted, Tyler would be a clear favorite. But having a 50% higher miss and foul rate shows why Chris has been able to hang in there. Although my conspiracy theorist self wants to think that they have to keep it close for the sponsors and ratings. More commercial time means more $$$...

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Believe it or not, the match is easier to find on the Roy’s Basement FB page. It will be the 2nd post, following the one detailing the Filler/Bergman match.

Action starts at 1:00 pm PST.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Styer had a 3-pack and a 2-pack on Day 1 and a 4-pack and a 2-pack on Day 2.

Robinson had a 2-pack on Day 1.

All other B&Rs were singles.

They averaged 6.8 minutes per game on Day 1 and 7.0 minutes per game on Day 2.

By way of comparison:
  • Filler/Aranas race to 100, March 2020 -- 4.1 minutes per game
    Van Boening/Orcollo race to 120, Nov. 2019 -- 5.7
    Van Boening/Shaw race to 100, Aug, 2019 -- 4.8

B&Rs: Styer is 24 of 66 (36%) through two days; Robinson is 11 of 60 (18%).

OMG 6.8 min is slowww
about 1 minute slower than SVB/Orcollo match
They would probably end up playing around 190games so that is about 3 hours slower than others. I can watch 2 movies in that time :D