14.1 championship.....the worst run tourney i've ever been to.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
9 Ball Girl said:
I was planning to go on Saturday but after reading this review on the layout, I'd rather not. New York would've probably been too expensive to rent out a convention center and I thought maybe Amsterdam Billiards but I think the East side location (which is now closed) had a better layout than the one on the West.

http://www.seyberts.com/world/

Don't let it stop you from going. IMO, the layout wasn't bad at all. Yes, it could have been better, but it wasn't horrible either. You can get a VIP pass for $25 per session and that will let you sit 8 feet away from any table you can find a seat at. Seating is similar to the BCA Vegas thing. Also, it's an easy ride from Port Authority. Go to the 400 level, take the bus to NJ, East Brunswick/Neilson Plaza towers. The bus goes directly to the hotel (1st stop) and drops you off right there, the hotel is next to the bus station. It's a 30 minute ride from Port Auth. and runs around $15 round trip to NYC. It's worth a day trip IMO.

Eric

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
9 Ball Girl said:
I
Go Danny Barouty! Go Steve Lipsky! Go Jonathon Smith! Go Tony Robles!

9BG,
Hey, don't you guys still root for Jeanette??? I thought she was still a New Yawker at heart.

Oh well, I'll pick up the slack; Go Jeanette!

9 Ball Girl

aka Wendy
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
9BG,
Hey, don't you guys still root for Jeanette??? I thought she was still a New Yawker at heart.

Oh well, I'll pick up the slack; Go Jeanette!
So true! And how can I forget: GO CRAIG!!!

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Not only taking into consideration the logistics for this event, you must realize that Charlie Williams and the DP staff had just one day to complete the event in Jacksonville, fly to New York and start this event. Add in the factor that Frank Alvarez was involved in a near fatal auto accident over the weekend (in Jacksonville) despite all of this, Charlie has not missed a beat. I'm sure Charlie has taken over Frank's duties in his absence - which makes Charlie a promoter, a player representative, and a player in this tournament. I spoke with Charlie late Saturday evening and though he sounded tired, he was upbeat and no doubt planning the events for the next day. Many people do not realize what goes into planning an event. Things go wrong and you must adapt along the way. As always, Charlie is doing his best to take care of these problems and he is also playing very well in this event. I'm sure that Cindy Lee is running around from 7 am until midnight every day (like the energizer bunny) making sure that things go as well as they possibly can. When it is all said and done, they will start working in the next event.

Like JAM said, Charlie makes things happen. Things arent perfect, but at least we have somebody with Charlie's dedication and determination to undertake some of these tasks. Next time you see either Charlie Williams or Cindy Lee, make sure to say, "Thank You." IMO, nobody works harder for the players and the fans.

Please keep Frank Alvarez in your thoughts and prayers.

Sorry to hear about Frank Alvarez.

That being said, if what is reported about the conditions at this tournament...no excuse is a good excuse. Why schedule two tournaments back to back? Pool has nothing going on for months. They couldve given themself some breathing room. Charlie might be overwhelmed with the absence of Frankie but that hasn't stopped him from taking time to get on his computer to post again and again on this forum the past week. And as a player himself, the most shocking thing reported is that they didn't plan adequate lighting & spacing of tables. Score cards for the fans wouldve been nice but the players should come first. That is something that has no excuse, if true.

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
9 Ball Girl said:
So true! And how can I forget: GO CRAIG!!!

Hehe, was gonna spank you lol!

Won 3 out fo 5, two I lost was 60+ - 10 up :mad:

Schedule is brutal, finished my last match yesterday at gone 4am! Also shot clock is not working veyr well, my last match got put on a clock after an hour and the matchs are supposed to have 1:15 even though all the old pro's have said a race to 100 takes more like 2. First year and lots of teathing probs but they've had some bad luck too.

That mataya is a card, he scratched a match last night after being to drunk it seemed and was late. Today he just kept shooting the 5 ball every shot lol even if he had to bank combo it!!! While playing oculla he runs out of position so he picks the cue ball up with his hand and puts it where he likes it and makes the next ball! Oculla was a bit stunned and it took him a few seconds to stand up lol, mataay says, "oh I suppose you want to shoot now!!!" lol

Archer just quit is match over the shot clock and had a big blow up, the problem seems to be lack of refs but I didn't see the whole incident.

I got Max and Archer next probable have to win 1 to be sure of going through - aggh! :confused:

TannerPruess

PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
TheOne said:
Today he just kept shooting the 5 ball every shot lol even if he had to bank combo it!!!
I got Max and Archer next probable have to win 1 to be sure of going through - aggh! :confused:
:eek: @ shooting the 5 ball every shot. Hahaha.
You will do fine. Now go out there and get some 100 ball runs for me. ;)

McKinneyMiner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TannerPruess said:
I would put some money on Mad Max or Ryan McCreesh.

Even though they are in the same bracket my money is on either Mike Sigel or Ralf Souquet.

Max and Thorsten would be my next choices.

Give me Danny with those four and I would almost be willing to give up the field.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
TheOne said:

Schedule is brutal, finished my last match yesterday at gone 4am! Also shot clock is not working veyr well, my last match got put on a clock after an hour and the matchs are supposed to have 1:15 even though all the old pro's have said a race to 100 takes more like 2. First year and lots of teathing probs but they've had some bad luck too.

That mataya is a card, he scratched a match last night after being to drunk it seemed and was late. Today he just kept shooting the 5 ball every shot lol even if he had to bank combo it!!! While playing oculla he runs out of position so he picks the cue ball up with his hand and puts it where he likes it and makes the next ball! Oculla was a bit stunned and it took him a few seconds to stand up lol, mataay says, "oh I suppose you want to shoot now!!!" lol

Archer just quit is match over the shot clock and had a big blow up, the problem seems to be lack of refs but I didn't see the whole incident.

TheVerySmallNumberIndeed,
Thanks for the update. We are very privileged to have a forum member so into the game that he will post here after the kind of day you describe. Keep up the great work, and good luck

P.S. - How are the tables playing??? Is the new cloth a factor???

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
larrynj1 said:
...had a very classy annual straight pool tournament at comet in parsippany, nj. individual matches ran at scheduled intervals, formally dressed referees announced scores at the end of each inning, nothing but class all the way...

My ass itches.

Eric>:p

marknyc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Updated Scores

I don't see alot of the brackets being updated. Are they running that far behind?

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I posted this in another thread...

Updates
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spent yesterday afternoon/nite there:

Best match-

Hohmann vs Minerich: Hohmann breaks, Meg plays a one pocket type of safe leaving a dicey combo, hohmann looks at it, strokes, nails it with authority, runs 99 more. Game. Megan was funny, afterwards in the hall, commenting about how she was basically a spectator in her match.

Best chirper-

Jimmy Mataya. Who else?! You know the routine; talking to the crowd, the TV crew at the next table, the fly on the wall...At one point, while playing Barouty, Mataya looked like his dog died after missing a bunch of easy shots. He then leaves Danny a long table 9 ball cut into the left corner, but if made, would open the rack. Danny looked at Mataya's safe and drilled the 9 ball, which started a big run. Mataya back to looking like his dog died again.

Best up and comers-

Nico Otterman and Jasmin Oushan. These two play really good. Real good.

On a side note, the amateur tables were diamond 7'er. All, except one, was set up well. The Pro arena could have used a little tweaking as far as the layout, but overall, I like the venue(Hilton) and I think it's a GREAT place for future events. Easy access to commute to, lots of parking, nice hotel and the entire 3rd floor dedicated to the event. I don't know the pricing, but I would imagine it's very competitive for the area. Also, it's an easy commute for NY'ers that don't have a car. Take a bus from Port Auth., to East Brunswick/Neilson Towers. It's 1 stop and costs around $15 round trip, and drops you off at the hotel. Good deal.

Eric

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
Wendy - I can't wait to see what happens when Jeanette Lee plays Mike Sigel, that should be a *fun* game!

Craig - Best of luck! You must be playing real well to be holding your own in a group with players like Harriman, Archer and Eberle. When you get a chance can you give us some detail on that really close game you lost to Danny? (100-96) Also do you think Archer is having a problem with the shot clock, given how slowly he likes to play these days?

Blackjack/JAM - I love the fact that you are both Glass Half Full people. Don't ever change, we need more of that around here. I'll never forget being at the UPA Tournament in L.A. a few years ago when Charlie Williams was still chair of the UPA. Before the afternoon session got started he had to come out and make several complex annoucements about various aspects of the tournaments, both for the players and the spectators, and was obviously under a lot of pressure dealing with everything involved running a large Pro tournament. Then the minute he put down the mike he stepped into the arena and played (And beat!) Ralph Souquet. His ability to both manage and play really impressed me at the time.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AuntyDan said:
...JAM - I love the fact that you are both Glass Half Full people. Don't ever change, we need more of that around here....

LOL. :D

I have learned a great deal about pool here in the States, but I don't know much about it on the international scene. How I have learned, though, is from reading this forum, the insights of other players and pool folk around the world. It's truly awesome.

I applaud anybody who tries to elevate the sport. For the straight pool lovers, this event was a godsend.

Not all events run smoothly, due to circumstances which cannot be foreseen. The trait of a champion is that they are capable of rising to the occasion and strive forward, no matter what hurdles are placed in their path and no matter how much negativity is thrown their way.

I continue to look forward to each and every pool event on the tournament trail, whether I am there or not. I enjoy reading about the players, the thrill of the victory and the agony of defeat.

I was thinking today how cool it is in today's age to have the technology to keep up with all the happenings.

I eagerly await to see who wins this straight pool tournament. Will it be a veteran, a world-class champion, or a new kid on the block? I'm staying tuned right here in the cockpit of my humble abode, standing by. Keep the updates coming! :p

JAM

joeb

Registered
Jam---- now a politico

JAM said:
I'm kind of sad to read this thread upon waking up this morning.:(

I can't imagine the logistics involved in running an event of this magnitude initially, much less making sure everything runs according to schedule. Many times, no matter how much preparation happens beforehand, there's always a few unforeseen glitches that will occur. I'm sure there are others more knowledgeable than I on this topic.

From speaking with some of the players who do follow the tournament trail on a regular basis, pool in the year 2006 has come a long way. The players themselves are happy to be given multiple opportunities to compete. In the past 30 days or so, the "professional" player has enjoyed several GOOD events, back to back, to earn a living: Enjoypool.com in Vegas, the UPA/Dragon Promotions/Predator in Florida, and the 14.1 World Championship in New Jersey. And then there's Reno (I think) next week.

Though I have NOT agreed with the pool politics during the past few years, I am elated and excited to see pool happenings on the rise. In the past, the Filipino players were a mainstay at MANY American tournaments, and now they are attending more and more overseas events. However, Europe's top players -- Niels, Thorsten, Fabio, Ralf, and many others -- are now regulars on the American tournament trail, some even moving here because of the existing opportunities.

Having said all of the above, I think Charlie Williams is responsible for raising the bar. He created the UPA, a professional men's organization which was nonexistent, and the UPA definitely experienced some growing pains, some of which I didn't agree with. However, the UPA is making strides, thanks to Dragon Productions. Charlie Williams, et al., has opened the door to the international scene for pool players. This is what was needed for the sport to grow, so bravo to him for making it happen.

Players are happy to be doing what they do best, which is playing pool and earning a living. It most definitely is not a perfect world, but as the sport gains in popularity, especially with the infusion of the IPT events on the horizon, so too will the venues and added monies. So maybe we will all benefit in the long run.

About the 14.1 tournament, the homeboys in my area are doing great, Ryan McCreesh and Mike Davis. I gotta root for the home team! :D

I'm also excited to see Joss Tour TD Mike Zuglan having a good tournament. Most know he's a straight pool champion, and to see him shine brightly warms my heart.

And how about Carlos Vieira with one of the high runs of 100?!

In sum, my hat is off to Seyberts, Dragon Promotions, and the players themselves. Sometimes events have obstacles which cannot be foreseen. So I celebrate the 14.1 World Championship and am thankful to see it happen. Next year, when the second 14.1 tournament occurs, the organizers will have a good handle on how to make it even better. :)

So that's my story, and I'm sticking with it! :p

Here's a picture of Carlos Vieira who currently holds the one of the highest runs of 100 at this event.

JAM
You're a Flip-Flopper! You did not used to feel this way. JoeB

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TheOne said:

Well good luck Craig, it wouldn't be the first time you beat a player like Archer or Eberle. Sounds like the tournament is horribly unorganized:(

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
joeb said:
You're a Flip-Flopper! You did not used to feel this way. JoeB

Yep, you're right, JoeB. I flip-flopped for a very good reason. After speaking with the pool players who are members of the UPA over the years, I came to the realization that the organization is making strides for its members.

They are happy campers, at least the ones I have spoken to in recent times, and if the men's organization is advancing the sport, providing opportunities to compete for its members, then I think in the long run that it is a good thing for pool.

I may be on the outside looking in, in some respects as it pertains to the men's organization, but I'm liking what I am seeing today in the year 2006.

In sum, I could be here today and gone tomorrow at my age, and I don't want to live out the remainder of my life sweating the small stuff. My health isn't what it used to be, eyesight definitely failing, aches and pains, and the whole 9 yards. So whatever piece of the pool pie is available to me and mine, I'm going to savor that flavor and enjoy it for as long as I am able to. Life is truly too short, JoeB. :p

JAM

Donovan

A little security, goes..
Silver Member
All I can say is that I'm just glad they are playing 14.1 again. I never thought I would say I wish I lived in New York. LOL

JrockJustin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wonderfully put...

JAM said:
I'm kind of sad to read this thread upon waking up this morning.:(

I can't imagine the logistics involved in running an event of this magnitude initially, much less making sure everything runs according to schedule. Many times, no matter how much preparation happens beforehand, there's always a few unforeseen glitches that will occur. I'm sure there are others more knowledgeable than I on this topic.

From speaking with some of the players who do follow the tournament trail on a regular basis, pool in the year 2006 has come a long way. The players themselves are happy to be given multiple opportunities to compete. In the past 30 days or so, the "professional" player has enjoyed several GOOD events, back to back, to earn a living: Enjoypool.com in Vegas, the UPA/Dragon Promotions/Predator in Florida, and the 14.1 World Championship in New Jersey. And then there's Reno (I think) next week.

Though I have NOT agreed with the pool politics during the past few years, I am elated and excited to see pool happenings on the rise. In the past, the Filipino players were a mainstay at MANY American tournaments, and now they are attending more and more overseas events. However, Europe's top players -- Niels, Thorsten, Fabio, Ralf, and many others -- are now regulars on the American tournament trail, some even moving here because of the existing opportunities.

Having said all of the above, I think Charlie Williams is responsible for raising the bar. He created the UPA, a professional men's organization which was nonexistent, and the UPA definitely experienced some growing pains, some of which I didn't agree with. However, the UPA is making strides, thanks to Dragon Productions. Charlie Williams, et al., has opened the door to the international scene for pool players. This is what was needed for the sport to grow, so bravo to him for making it happen.

Players are happy to be doing what they do best, which is playing pool and earning a living. It most definitely is not a perfect world, but as the sport gains in popularity, especially with the infusion of the IPT events on the horizon, so too will the venues and added monies. So maybe we will all benefit in the long run.

About the 14.1 tournament, the homeboys in my area are doing great, Ryan McCreesh and Mike Davis. I gotta root for the home team! :D

I'm also excited to see Joss Tour TD Mike Zuglan having a good tournament. Most know he's a straight pool champion, and to see him shine brightly warms my heart.

And how about Carlos Vieira with one of the high runs of 100?!

In sum, my hat is off to Seyberts, Dragon Promotions, and the players themselves. Sometimes events have obstacles which cannot be foreseen. So I celebrate the 14.1 World Championship and am thankful to see it happen. Next year, when the second 14.1 tournament occurs, the organizers will have a good handle on how to make it even better. :)

So that's my story, and I'm sticking with it! :p

JAM

Very well written and wonderfully put, JAM!