Jayson Shaw victim or defeated foe

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Here's a little something for you to sink your teeth into. The following info was put out on Facebook about the 14.1 match between Jayson and Earl.

"Gotta feel for Jayson Shaw in semi final of World 14.1 champs playing the greatest player to ever shoot in the game Earl Strickland at 184-189 Earl shoots the 10 ball however multiple people heard him call the 2 ball. The game was being referee'd and they rule that Earl "obviously" meant the 10 ball and ruled no foul and player continues to shoot......now Earl had done this earlier and it was ruled a foul and play passed over. So why not now?

To have this type of inconsistency in a ruling at that stage of the match where it's potentially cost Jay a world title is ludicrous and the head referee needs to have a strong look in the mirror.
Thoughts?"

Another poster claimed that the referee said it was quite obvious that Earl was shooting the 10 ball and so the ref ruled in Earl's favor and did not call a foul. Not sure how it all went down but let's hear your thoughts.

This is different than if you're playing 9 ball and the correct ball to shoot is the 4 ball because it is the lowest numbered ball on the table but instead you aim at the 5 ball and make it and your opponent then quickly announces that you shot the wrong ball, WITH HIM KNOWING YOU WERE SHOOTING THE WRONG BALL.
JoeyA

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Don't giveaway a turn at the table in straight pool. Keep the run and avoid safe battles.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Another poster claimed that the referee said it was quite obvious that Earl was shooting the 10 ball and so the ref ruled in Earl's favor and did not call a foul. Not sure how it all went down but let's hear your thoughts.

The gentleman who made the ruling (not the referee for the match, I believe) said that everyone doing commentary on the stream, and the referee, all told him that Earl was obviously shooting the 10 ball. I watched the stream and there was no question that Earl was shooting the 10 ball.

The gentleman who made the ruling watched a replay of the stream and said that since the commentators were talking during Earl's turn at the table he could not hear what Earl called, so he had to rule in Earl's favor (Earl said he called the 10 ball).

Since there was no clear audio on the stream of Earl calling the 2 ball, I think there was no other call that could be made.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you pocket a hanger, but call a different ball, then your inning should be over. Otherwise, what's the point in playing call shot?

The only reason the ruling was in Earl's favor is because there wasn't any evidence proving he called the 2 ball.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
The only reason the ruling was in Earl's favor is because there wasn't any evidence proving he called the 2 ball.

I think the only way the ruling could have gone against Earl is if there was clear evidence that he did call the 2 ball.

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you pocket a hanger, but call a different ball, then your inning should be over. Otherwise, what's the point in playing call shot?

but if theres no evidence he called the 2 ball, did he in fact call it? don't know your point. If a tree falls in the forest with no one to hear, did it make a sound? lol. Also, I think there's plenty evidence given alot of ppl who watched the stream is on az right now saying he didnt call the 2. Additionally, John Leyman rewatched and could not hear or see earl calling the 2.

dafatman

Registered
If players are not having to "declare" an obvious shot, then even if he did say the 2 ball, it's no different than if a player bends over to shoot an obvious shot but then turns and shoots at a "different", but better obvious ball. The first "look" was negated........Shaw needs to get over it.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
A pool player questions the validity of an opponent making a shot.

Controversy about obvious vs called, it's fun because Earls involved.

What type of shot was it ?

Was the two lined up nearby and Earl just got lucky for the ten.

brooklynplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorta gotta agree with Leyman on this one.

Even if people in the room say they heard Earl call the 2 - from Leyman's point of view, that is still hearsay, so he had to go with what he could see/hear from reviewing the tape.

Hence his reasoning for the call.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
The gentleman who made the ruling (not the referee for the match, I believe) said that everyone doing commentary on the stream, and the referee, all told him that Earl was obviously shooting the 10 ball. I watched the stream and there was no question that Earl was shooting the 10 ball.

The gentleman who made the ruling watched a replay of the stream and said that since the commentators were talking during Earl's turn at the table he could not hear what Earl called, so he had to rule in Earl's favor (Earl said he called the 10 ball).

Since there was no clear audio on the stream of Earl calling the 2 ball, I think there was no other call that could be made.

Ahhh, this is interesting.
JoeyA

Shermanscs

Steve sherman
Silver Member
My opinion is that this is a world championship event. There should be a referee watching over the match and calling out each shot the players call. Unacceptable officiating, regardless of my opinion on who the call should have gone to.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No ref? World 14.1 my ass. Johnnyt

There was a ref, hell he had been racking for each opponent since Earl went and pouted in a corner and didn't come over to rack when Shaw cleared the table.

When this occurred apparently the Ref didn't want to or couldn't make an official call. They are not walking around the table calling shots as they have in the past. The TD was off preparing for the next match, in his own words.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
There was a ref, hell he had been racking for each opponent since Earl went and pouted in a corner and didn't come over to rack when Shaw cleared the table.

When this occurred apparently the Ref didn't want to or couldn't make an official call. They are not walking around the table calling shots as they have in the past. The TD was off preparing for the next match, in his own words.

"Preparing for next match". Give me a break. What did he have to do, clean his glasses?:D Johnnyt

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Here's the table right before Earl shot. The 10 ball, which he ended up shooting in the bottom right corner pocket, is just below the cueball. The 2 ball, as far as I can tell, is the middle ball in the pack near the spot, between the 14 and the 7.

My question is, if he called the 2 ball where in the world would he be trying to make it, and how?

Attachments

• End.jpg
    End.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,200