There are Pool Angels

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
It's amazing the " Giovincos " remembered your family so instantly and it sure seems they had some feelings for the table and you. Leaving the pool table when they sold the house would have been the easy thing to do.
Not sure if they knew of the history of the table and your family or just by luck, they took it with them.

Great to see something come full circle and on one hand, it's just a pool table, but, on the other hand, it's so very much more than a pool table as I can't imagine the cost your parents put into that table.
Going from a sears plywood table, which probably meant the side pockets went out into the playing area instead of a backwards pocket ( at least our sears table did ) was probably like going to the moon.

Awesome Story, so happy you shared it. I am sure the piece missing inside got a little smaller as a little part of mom found it's way to Texas.

When I spoke to Mr. Giovinco, he knew some things about my Dad which I was surprised at the time to hear.....There was a connection.... Anyways, I was re-reading all the wonderful comments and decided to write this. Hopefully, it will Post again after all this time and people who have not read it will and enjoy it... My Thanks to all...

QuietStorm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great story! One of the best one's I've read in this forum.

I grew up playing in Julians on 14th st and Irvin. If my memory serves me well, Julians had similar tables.

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damndest thread I ever read. I read some that made me laugh, I read some that pissed me off. Read some that made me crazy, read some I can't remember read quite a few I wish I could forget. But this is the first that ever brought a tear to my eye!

I'm glad no one at the poolroom knows me by gesan (tear) might think I'm going soft.

You must have good karma and I'm happy for you.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing wrong with bringing back a great thread.
Mike hope all is well with you and the family.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

My Thanks to mrknight411, gesan, Franky4eyes & Alphdog for the great comments. It is appreciated.... Alphdog (Jack)... I'm doing well but my wife has become disabled. So things are hard but we never give up......

HUKIT

F* ks Given...Zero
Silver Member
That’s really a great story! I hope that table continues to stay in your family for many generations. I too have the table my mom purchased for me when I was 16. Although it was her intention to keep me out of the pool hall, Lol.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Damndest thread I ever read. I read some that made me laugh, I read some that pissed me off. Read some that made me crazy, read some I can't remember read quite a few I wish I could forget. But this is the first that ever brought a tear to my eye!

I'm glad no one at the poolroom knows me by gesan (tear) might think I'm going soft.

This post is actually poetic....therefore it belongs in this great thread.

cscott67

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael.....

Congratulations on getting a part of your family history back in your life! Your mom is surely watching over with a fond smile somewhere up there. Our parents give us many gifts along the way, and you are truly blessed. Yours taught you the value of hard work, reward, and the pursuit of happiness.

Thanks for sharing your story! Take care, Doc

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks so much for sharing this story. Warms the heart heading in to the holidays.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

Thanks to HUKIT, cscott67, and pocket for the kind comments... Yes pt109... I agree that gesan's comment is poetic and funny.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
:thumbup2:I'm guessing that you have been a kind, respectful and generous person for a long time. Sounds like you had a great Mom. I'm glad your quest was successful.

That room is beyond cool. It sets a high bar. Woooow! Aiyaiyaiyaiyai!

The table looks very SOLID. Did you have much work to do on it? It does remind you a lot of a Gold Crown I-II. It just looks sturdier. I've seen the tournament blue cloth on many GC's-it does brighten up those edges. I like it.

Had you seen one of these tables before or since you were reunited with yours?

Great story. Great room. A Special table.

Thank you for an uplifting story. A good way to start a new year. It reminds us that sometimes good things happen to the right people for the right reasons.

3railkick

This post is actually poetic....therefore it belongs in this great thread.

Thanks to HUKIT, cscott67, and pocket for the kind comments... Yes pt109... I agree that gesan's comment is poetic and funny.

You ain’t the only one that can bump a thread, mister.....
...this IS our Christmas Thread...

6798495C-7E2F-4C78-8760-F067EEEF618B.jpeg

And God bless your mother

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The more I think about it, in my mind that's exactly how I picture Mosconi's home room would look like.

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just seeing this for the first time this morning. What a great way to start the day!
A big takeaway here is that God helps those that help themselves, and the world is still full of good people.
Thanks for posting and for bumping it so I could read it!