14.1 championship.....the worst run tourney i've ever been to.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
this was quite possibly the worst run tournament i've ever attended....

for the players...
everyone was complaining that there was no way all the games would go on as scheduled,,,and they didn't. it ran behind from the get-go.

half of the ten tables had table lighting. of the remaining five, only the main TV table had ample lights. the other four were half lit with a ceiling spotlight that covered the back half of the table(the rack half being in shadow).

the tables were all set close together.

for the spectators.....
the tables(two sets of five) were set up to one side of the room, with vip seats at floor level surrounding the playing area, and the tv set-up on the wall side. this left general admission to the wider, open side (and ONLY one side)of the room. general seating was 20 feet from the closest 5 tables, while the other 5 were on the other side of the room. because the tables were so far away, there was zero intimacy.

no one in general admission knew what the score was on the five closer tables because the players kept the score facing them and away from the spectators. since score cards faced inward(to the players), general admission could only see the scores on the other side of the field.

no refs, except one main guy.

the tv table took up MASSIVE amounts of unecessary space because not only was it given the proper amount of space(as other tables SHOULD have), but they decided to rope off that space with an additional 10 feet.

because of the tv table on the OTHER side, and the fact that the near(near to general admission)tables were lined up END TO END rather than side to side, there was loss of space at both ends that could have allowed for more general seating if they planned it better.

to make all matters worse, they started hustling day session spectators out at 7pm (evening session) while the day session matches were still being played on every table. now,,,i left because there wasn't much more for me to watch, and i don't know if they really did force any day session spectators out. nonetheless, it was announced.

this was a poorly run venue. clearly, the biggest problem was in the choice of venue. the hilton was an inadequate space for a pool tourney set-up, and it was clear that lack of lighting dictated the layout.

i don't recall the announcer announcing the winner of a match or the score. players had to keep their own score, and rack their own rack. petroni kept mumbling to himself because the scoring flip cards kept falling off the plastic support.

play was ok for a first day. the germans did well, as expected. the second ranked player from spain, cabello, is DAMNED good, and ran out on robles. last i saw he was running on engert too. lipsky ran well vs. salvas. other matches?,,,hard to say as they were too far away.

Last edited:

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like Donovan said, good, well thought out info. Pool players know right away when thing are not right with the tables, lighting, spectator's stands, etc.

I still plan on going on Saturday. Does there seem to be a difference between the afternoon and evening events?

Last edited:

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
i did not stay for the evening, since i took their queue and split. with all the games that have to be completed, i doubt they're focusing on day versus night. you can see them all, at either session.

won't be reporting any further because i don't plan to go again. maybe they'll consolidate the tables by saturday, but i doubt it because, as i said, the floor plan seems to be dictated by inadequate lighting, and the tourney directors had little regard for it's paying patrons.

i expect some exceptional pool, though. i'd be interested to see how far cabello goes. engert simply doesn't miss, and orttman had his rhythm going in his second match. sigel's packs open like a flower in bloom. man, he sure likes to talk. i think i'm going to call him "captain caption".

cabello has made group 6 really interesting to keep an eye on, and it's a shame either robles, engert, or cabello will be eliminated.

Last edited:

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
BANKONIT said:
Are There Any Vendors On Site, Cue Dealers Etc. ?

just one cue repair guy, and an inexplicable 8' brunswick standing in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
Too bad Seyberts is sponsoring the event....I live 3 miles from the brick and mortar Seyberts and have known the owner for a loooooong time....I think it's a shame though...it could be a number of factors on the cause, inadequate time to arrange...resistance from Hilton...who knows...

In the near future I would like to try my hand at running a pro tourney in the Michigan area....it's ironic that there is none ever in Michigan...big pro tourneys that is....:(
________

Last edited:

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
someone told me blatt billiards had a space ready to go. with their experience,,,i wonder what happened.

pool

Poolplayer
Silver Member
Well, I will admit that this all sounds bad. In fact, it makes it worse that I am taking Th and Fri. off from work to spend a few days there...then driving 6 hours to get into the Hilton. It would be a darn shame if they don't get on top of their program before the event ends. I checkec the Seybert's site out and there were some pretty lopsided scores. Someone got whooped 100-1. I think that Spanish guy (Viega) ran 100, too. Hohmann had an 82 ball run as well. Sigel was 2-0, etc. Not all the day's results were posted yet, so I don't know if that means they are still playing, or that the web folks were in bed by the time the matches ended. I will be happy to provide continuing coverage, if there is an interest.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
pool said:
Well, I will admit that this all sounds bad. In fact, it makes it worse that I am taking Th and Fri. off from work to spend a few days there...then driving 6 hours to get into the Hilton. It would be a darn shame if they don't get on top of their program before the event ends. I checkec the Seybert's site out and there were some pretty lopsided scores. Someone got whooped 100-1. I think that Spanish guy (Viega) ran 100, too. Hohmann had an 82 ball run as well. Sigel was 2-0, etc. Not all the day's results were posted yet, so I don't know if that means they are still playing, or that the web folks were in bed by the time the matches ended. I will be happy to provide continuing coverage, if there is an interest.

there are some lopsidedly great players in this tourney, i must admit,,,and if someone is hot, 100 will see some almost shutouts. here's a diagram of the venue with my included artistic rendering of the half-lit tables :):).

if you sit floor level in general admission, you will be about 15-16 feet from the table. if you sit higher on the bleachers for a better view, you'll be 20-21 feet away,,,and that's just the table in front of you. you'll be 40 feet away from the tv table if you're sitting in the middle, and almost 50 feet from it's rack,,,but it seemed farther.

BRING A COMPACT PAIR OF BINOCULARS

Attachments

• venue.jpg
    venue.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,004

Nine Ball

Certified Rail Tester
Silver Member
bruin70 said:
this was quite possibly the worst run tournament i've ever attended....

for the players...
everyone was complaining that there was no way all the games would go on as scheduled,,,and they didn't. it ran behind from the get-go.

half of the ten tables had table lighting. of the remaining five, only the main TV table had ample lights. the other four were half lit with a ceiling spotlight that covered the back half of the table(the rack half being in shadow).

the tables were all set close together.

for the spectators.....
the tables(two sets of five) were set up to one side of the room, with vip seats at floor level surrounding the playing area, and the tv set-up on the wall side. this left general admission to the wider, open side (and ONLY one side)of the room. general seating was 20 feet from the closest 5 tables, while the other 5 were on the other side of the room. because the tables were so far away, there was zero intimacy.

no one in general admission knew what the score was on the five closer tables because the players kept the score facing them and away from the spectators. since score cards faced inward(to the players), general admission could only see the scores on the other side of the field.

no refs, except one main guy.

the tv table took up MASSIVE amounts of unecessary space because not only was it given the proper amount of space(as other tables SHOULD have), but they decided to rope off that space with an additional 10 feet.

because of the tv table on the OTHER side, and the fact that the near(near to general admission)tables were lined up END TO END rather than side to side, there was loss of space at both ends that could have allowed for more general seating if they planned it better.

to make all matters worse, they started hustling day session spectators out at 7pm (evening session) while the day session matches were still being played on every table. now,,,i left because there wasn't much more for me to watch, and i don't know if they really did force any day session spectators out. nonetheless, it was announced.

this was a poorly run venue. clearly, the biggest problem was in the choice of venue. the hilton was an inadequate space for a pool tourney set-up, and it was clear that lack of lighting dictated the layout.

i don't recall the announcer announcing the winner of a match or the score. players had to keep their own score, and rack their own rack. petroni kept mumbling to himself because the scoring flip cards kept falling off the plastic support.

play was ok for a first day. the germans did well, as expected. the second ranked player from spain, cabello, is DAMNED good, and ran out on robles. last i saw he was running on engert too. lipsky ran well vs. salvas. other matches?,,,hard to say as they were too far away.

WOW. Does dragon promotions and Charlie have anything to do with this event? haha... (See amateur events in Jacksonville to catch the joke)

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bruin70 said:
someone told me blatt billiards had a space ready to go. with their experience,,,i wonder what happened.

I don't know about Blatts having a space ready to go. After the last U S Open 14.1 in NYC i was told by a very reliable source that Blatt lost over 80 large. And then i heard, also from a very very reliable person, that after the altercation he had with a named player who shall remain nameless, Blatt said never again. And that is to bad. cuz they put on a 1st class show. I actually got to sit up in the balcony with a movie star and talk for a couple of minutes before going back to my friends.................................mike

briandlau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I left about an hour ago and some hadn't even started their 3rd match for the night, which meant they were about 4 hours behind.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm kind of sad to read this thread upon waking up this morning.:(

I can't imagine the logistics involved in running an event of this magnitude initially, much less making sure everything runs according to schedule. Many times, no matter how much preparation happens beforehand, there's always a few unforeseen glitches that will occur. I'm sure there are others more knowledgeable than I on this topic.

From speaking with some of the players who do follow the tournament trail on a regular basis, pool in the year 2006 has come a long way. The players themselves are happy to be given multiple opportunities to compete. In the past 30 days or so, the "professional" player has enjoyed several GOOD events, back to back, to earn a living: Enjoypool.com in Vegas, the UPA/Dragon Promotions/Predator in Florida, and the 14.1 World Championship in New Jersey. And then there's Reno (I think) next week.

Though I have NOT agreed with the pool politics during the past few years, I am elated and excited to see pool happenings on the rise. In the past, the Filipino players were a mainstay at MANY American tournaments, and now they are attending more and more overseas events. However, Europe's top players -- Niels, Thorsten, Fabio, Ralf, and many others -- are now regulars on the American tournament trail, some even moving here because of the existing opportunities.

Having said all of the above, I think Charlie Williams is responsible for raising the bar. He created the UPA, a professional men's organization which was nonexistent, and the UPA definitely experienced some growing pains, some of which I didn't agree with. However, the UPA is making strides, thanks to Dragon Productions. Charlie Williams, et al., has opened the door to the international scene for pool players. This is what was needed for the sport to grow, so bravo to him for making it happen.

Players are happy to be doing what they do best, which is playing pool and earning a living. It most definitely is not a perfect world, but as the sport gains in popularity, especially with the infusion of the IPT events on the horizon, so too will the venues and added monies. So maybe we will all benefit in the long run.

About the 14.1 tournament, the homeboys in my area are doing great, Ryan McCreesh and Mike Davis. I gotta root for the home team! :D

I'm also excited to see Joss Tour TD Mike Zuglan having a good tournament. Most know he's a straight pool champion, and to see him shine brightly warms my heart.

And how about Carlos Vieira with one of the high runs of 100?!

In sum, my hat is off to Seyberts, Dragon Promotions, and the players themselves. Sometimes events have obstacles which cannot be foreseen. So I celebrate the 14.1 World Championship and am thankful to see it happen. Next year, when the second 14.1 tournament occurs, the organizers will have a good handle on how to make it even better. :)

So that's my story, and I'm sticking with it! :p

Here's a picture of Carlos Vieira who currently holds the one of the highest runs of 100 at this event.

JAM

Attachments

• carlos.JPG
    carlos.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 907

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
JAM said:
And how about Carlos Vieira with one of the high runs of 100?!

It's not very well known but Vieira has a good tournament history in 14.1.

Most notably, he was the highest finsher among Americans when he came 3rd in the 1993 US Open 14.1 Championships, behind champion Ortmann and runnerup Reyes.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
jam, i agree with you about williams. and undertaking huge events like this poses problems, especially in the high maintenance northeast. and it's always a battle to balance fiscal issues with space/facilities.

except for a few annoying cutbacks in expenses, the choice of the hilton was the biggest problem, to the detrement of players and spectators alike.

maybe choices like the hilton and grand central were made to upgrade pool's image, and i cannot fault dragon for the effort. the players, i forgot to mention, were all wearing vests/black pants/black shoes, and that was a VERY good thing. a pool room like masters would have been more successful, but that would have probably brought with it the concomitant dress-down to jeans and t shirts,,,so i can understand if dragon wants to move away from that image with a major event like this.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bruin70, I always remember that saying by Vincent Lombardi:

Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.

I probably fall in the first two categories because I do want it to happen and I can wish with all my being. However, Charlie Williams falls in the third category. He did make it happen, thankfully, and I know the players are excited.

This 14.1 World Pool Championship has brought joy to many a pool enthusiast. To see Mike Zuglan competing professionally again is great, and how about this field of players. It is so very diversified, ladies and gents, seasoned and young players full of vigor.

Whoever wins this event is anybody's guess. I can't wait to find out who will snatch the almighty win! :)

JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
It's not very well known but Vieira has a good tournament history in 14.1.

Most notably, he was the highest finsher among Americans when he came 3rd in the 1993 US Open 14.1 Championships, behind champion Ortmann and runnerup Reyes.

Well, it's sure nice to see Carlos and others like him back in the saddle again. :)

Events like these brings the best out in a pool player, giving them an opportunity to be all that they can be, and in the long run, more and more players who left this "sport" will return to a tournament trail which is starting to grow, THANKFULLY.

Pool has been stagnant for many years, IMHO, but in recent times, I believe the culture is growing, thanks to the efforts of a few pioneers who are willing to take a chance and make things happen.

JAM

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
jack colavita(rip) and bill haley always had a very classy annual straight pool tournament at comet in parsippany, nj. individual matches ran at scheduled intervals, formally dressed referees announced scores at the end of each inning, nothing but class all the way. maybe bill should be consulted for the next world 14.1.