14.1 World Championship Update --- BEST TOURNEY EVER

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I'll tell you why it's the best ever.

Tonight in NJ there was a severe thunder storm -- we're talking pouring rain and non-stop thunder and lightning.

Right in the middle of Danny Harriman and Kevin Becker's match, rain starts falling directly onto the middle of their table! Playing adjacent to them, Allen Hopkins thinks quick and grabs a cup for the leaky ceiling to fall into. But it's not enough. Soon they've got a 5-gallon bucket, and then a Full Sized trash can! It was totallu surreal folks. How often can you claim to see Allen Hopkins saves the day with a plastic cup? And just then it starts to leak harder to the point that a frickin' trash can is put on a pool table.

It was hilarity, folks. Then the lights started to flicker as everyone wondered if the power would go.

People always are hesitant to compare golf to pool, because pool has no water hazards and sand traps. Well no sand traps yet, but tonight we had one hell of a water hazard!

Here's a couple pics of the water hazard, a YouTube video of parts of it, and the man of the hour... MAX EBERLE who is currently undefeated and is the man to beat. I've got photos of others too (Jeanette Lee, and AZB's own Craig Riley). i'll post them later if anyone wants.

VIDEO!!! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40bCKvII8WU

Attachments

• waterhazard.jpg
    waterhazard.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 236
  • waterhazard2.jpg
    waterhazard2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 223
  • madmax.jpg
    madmax.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 222

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But on a more serious note:

I think the tournament is fantastic. I've heard complaints on this board, but overall it's great. The water fiasco was of course not the fault of Dragon Promotions or anyone running the tournament. The Hilton hotel is a great hotel, yet I guess nothing is perfect.

I hope there continues to be more 14.1 tournaments of this quality. Considering this is the first in a number of years, I can only assume they will get better as time goes by and I have a lot of faith in Charlie and everyone working to make it a success. Yes the matches are running longer than expected, but there's a bit of trial-and-error involved here.

The round robin group stages are great, and seeing everyone compete against each other is like a dream.

I'll be going tomorrow in the evening again, and most likely all weekend. I just hope Max can continue his undefeated run.

Omar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best part of the natural disaster was that they moved that match to the table in front of me and I got to watch Danny's comeback with an 82 and out from eight feet away.

NaClBandit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Omar said:
The best part of the natural disaster was that they moved that match to the table in front of me and I got to watch Danny's comeback with an 82 and out from eight feet away.

Did they lay out the balls as they lied on the water-logged table?

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, and if not for the water hazard, I think Becker might have run out the match from there. He was strokin' 'em good and picking apart racks quite well until the water. The thunder storm probably worked in Harriman's favor.

Omar said:

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
StevenPWaldon said:
But on a more serious note:

I think the tournament is fantastic. I've heard complaints on this board, but overall it's great. The water fiasco was of course not the fault of Dragon Promotions or anyone running the tournament. The Hilton hotel is a great hotel, yet I guess nothing is perfect.

I hope there continues to be more 14.1 tournaments of this quality. Considering this is the first in a number of years, I can only assume they will get better as time goes by and I have a lot of faith in Charlie and everyone working to make it a success. Yes the matches are running longer than expected, but there's a bit of trial-and-error involved here.

The round robin group stages are great, and seeing everyone compete against each other is like a dream.

I'll be going tomorrow in the evening again, and most likely all weekend. I just hope Max can continue his undefeated run.

I have to agree Steve, although this tournament has had it's share of mishaps and setbacks it's certainly not all the fault of Dragon promotions. The format is perfect and the field is impressive with some of the best straight poolers of the modern day participating. Hopefully this will be an annual event and we will see more straight pool events in the near future.

JrockJustin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Steve!

StevenPWaldon said:
Here's a couple pics of the water hazard, a YouTube video of parts of it, and the man of the hour... MAX EBERLE who is currently undefeated and is the man to beat. I've got photos of others too (Jeanette Lee, and AZB's own Craig Riley). i'll post them later if anyone wants.

VIDEO!!! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40bCKvII8WU

Great work Steve and your story was hilarious! I am glad to see some smiles amongst the storm.

And yes, I do want, so please post them!

Thanks,
Justin

Omar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could be right about that. That kid shoots awfully straight! I wasn't originally watching their match as I was on the other side of the room. When the match I was watching was over, (Zuglan/Williams(?)) I move over to the other side for Engert/Takami. The Harriman/Becker finish was just a bonus.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
That was James West on the water bucket accompanied by Cindy Lee who keeps looking up to the ceiling. Things like this always seem to happen when she's around.