Room size and Ridgeback Rails Questions

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello folks.

I'm looking at converting a building at my cottage to house a pool table.

Measurements are 15' 5" x 15' 5". I'm thinking of trying to squeeze a 7' Valley in there. Obviously I'm fine for width, but I'm short on the length. I've done the math, so I know I would need a shorty cue - maybe a 48" Balance Rite.

My first question is for those who've had similar issues - how have you found it playing on a table in similar right spots? Is it too frustrating? I may try the "fake wall test" (replicating the problem at a pool hall) but that's not the same as actually living with it.

My second question is about Ridgeback rails. My 7' playing is generally on Diamonds. What is your experience on with the Ridgebacks, especially the "pro" version designed to replicate the Diamond as much as possible? Anyone try the new "league cut" version?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I am not 100% sure, but I think the 7' tables at Ivory billiards use ridgeback rails. At least the tables play very well and have good cut pockets, they do remind me a bit of the Diamond 7 footers. I think there are a few Ivory regulars on here that may verify things for me. If they do happen to be ridgebacks, I put in a good word for them, they are great playing tables.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ridgebacks are way better built, trust me, i know first hand.

Thanks, Glen. And I do trust you on this.

While I know that nothing will actually play like a 7' Diamond, is a Valley with the pro cut Ridgebacks the best distant second choice?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thanks, Glen. And I do trust you on this.

While I know that nothing will actually play like a 7' Diamond, is a Valley with the pro cut Ridgebacks the best distant second choice?

The cue ball will hit 5 times the length of the table and 9 rails around on either table if the Valley is recovered right.

JRusso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Valley table is a Valley table and really will never play like a Diamond. They are just no where near as solid structurally. That being said, I have Rideback Pro Cuts and 860 Simonis on my Valley and it plays very well for a Valley table. Kerry with Ridgeback Rails is a pleasure to work with and is full of info. He was always more than willing to answer questions. There is no doubt in my mind that you will not find better rails for a Valley.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Let me try and explain it this way, if Valley tables were like a car, then they would be like a Volkswagen compared to a Cadillac, being the Diamond tables. But keep in mind, they'll both get you where youre headed. Both tables have the same speed in the playing surface if the both have the same cloth installed. They'll both bank the cue ball 5 times the length of the table and 9 rails around, and either can be out of level, or both level as much as possible. The single biggest difference between the two tables, is the cue ball when in coin operation, the Valley with the magnetic cue ball, and the Diamond with the red circle cue ball, which rolls true and plays true, and plays more like a pool table should play. So, I'd consider the Valley tables to be second best, but cirtainly not the worst, there are other coin op tables far worae than a Valley. I'm not going to get into the structure of the tables because that has nothing to do with the OP's questions, as he's not asking about buying a Diamond pool table and is it a good purchase..

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me try and explain it this way, if Valley tables were like a car, then they would be like a Volkswagen compared to a Cadillac, being the Diamond tables. But keep in mind, they'll both get you where youre headed. Both tables have the same speed in the playing surface if the both have the same cloth installed. They'll both bank the cue ball 5 times the length of the table and 9 rails around, and either can be out of level, or both level as much as possible. The single biggest difference between the two tables, is the cue ball when in coin operation, the Valley with the magnetic cue ball, and the Diamond with the red circle cue ball, which rolls true and plays true, and plays more like a pool table should play. So, I'd consider the Valley tables to be second best, but cirtainly not the worst, there are other coin op tables far worae than a Valley. I'm not going to get into the structure of the tables because that has nothing to do with the OP's questions, as he's not asking about buying a Diamond pool table and is it a good purchase..

Thanks. I do understand that I'd be buying a Volkswagen (even if I put better cloth and rails on it). If this was going in my house, I'd get a Diamond no question. Unfortunately I can't justify spending the money on a Cadillac given that it's going to be in an unheated building at my cottage during cold Canadian winters. If the weather kills the Valley after a few years, I can always buy a another one!

Since I will be leaving the coin mechanism open, I can use my Aramith Super Pros with a normal cueball (no big or heavy cb for me).

Last edited:

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for the replies. Think I have found a used Valley and will be getting Ridgeback Pros.

Any other tweaks to the table I should think of?

Hollismason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have a room that is 15 feet by 5" x 15 feet by 5" then you have more room than you think. It's 21 feet by like a few inches corner to corner. If you center the table diagonally you should be fine. Get some painters tape and go out there then draw it on the floor with painters tape then measure.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If you have a room that is 15 feet by 5" x 15 feet by 5" then you have more room than you think. It's 21 feet by like a few inches corner to corner. If you center the table diagonally you should be fine. Get some painters tape and go out there then draw it on the floor with painters tape then measure.

Even diagonally you're still gling to end up with 4 short corners.

Hollismason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even diagonally you're still gling to end up with 4 short corners.

I guess I could graph it out, but it's a lot more than you think if it's centered in the room. I get at around 40 inches from the corner of the table to the wall and that's at the absolute tip of the tables corner. A 7 foot table isn't actually "7 foot x 4 foot" or at least depending on what type it is. The playing area is going to be slightly smaller than 7 foot. So like 80 to 82 inches then its like 40 inches wide.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I guess I could graph it out, but it's a lot more than you think if it's centered in the room. I get at around 40 inches from the corner of the table to the wall and that's at the absolute tip of the tables corner. A 7 foot table isn't actually "7 foot x 4 foot" or at least depending on what type it is. The playing area is going to be slightly smaller than 7 foot. So like 80 to 82 inches then its like 40 inches wide.

40" to the wall from the corners? And how short is that using a 58" normal length cue? I know the table size and room size very well, I've only been working on pool tables for over 33 years:thumbup:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Ridgeback Rails are the best rails for a Valley by far. Thanks to Glen, I have bought three sets over the years, for three different tables. Don't forget to tighten the two bolts in the corner pockets. You will almost always find some loose or missing. Johnnyt

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the basis of the suggestion re turning the table diagonally, I have used a online room planner ( https://www.homeleisuredirect.com/company/games-room-designer.html ) and tried both ways. I included two bar stools. Note that what appears as the edge of the table in the diagram is actually the edge of the cushion, since interior dimensions are what matter.

Can I get some input on which orientation would be best? I have ever-so-slightly less room on the corners in the diagonal one (but of course the slate is actually a bit further in at the corners) and a few odd places, but maybe more open areas. Will be playing 8, 9 and 10 ball.
View attachment 457798

View attachment 457799

Attachments

• Straight.jpg
    Straight.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 223
  • Angled  2.jpg
    Angled 2.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 222
Last edited: