SS joint vs ?

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played both. Adams 90s Bushka remake. Meuchi David Howard from early 80's and late 80s Joss.

Loved them all. Bushka was more solid and the others had more feel, with the Joss being the clear winner.

I was just curious as to the technical purposes of each joint?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
To connect the two halves together...

This is the best answer.

Different materials offer different weight properties. Steel is a little harder than most synthetic materials, and may change feedback. I doubt you could tell which was which in a blind test.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the best answer.

Different materials offer different weight properties. Steel is a little harder than most synthetic materials, and may change feedback. I doubt you could tell which was which in a blind test.

I have nothing against SS joints but by a huge margin my favorite is a big pin wood 2 wood unpiloted. As to telling the difference - never tried but I honestly think I could tel the difference in hit between SS and W2W ( not necessarily the other things I mentioned though ). This will sound a little funny but its what I think. I am not talking about actual sound but I am using these sounds to describe the hit if that makes any sense. With a SS I get a " ping " where as with wood 2 wood I get a " thud". Lol

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite joint is SS.
Has the best feel for me.
It's hard to mimic feel of a steel joint 80's Runde, Richard Black, Balabushka, or Tascarella, Black Boar etc. etc....
Plus ss joints last a really long time.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I strictly played a piloted steel joint for >40 years but switched to elephant back in mid-2000.
Living in CA does has its limitations, such as cue buying & selling, but it was 67 degrees today.
It makes up for a lot when I look at the weather others are getting......Brrr......it makes me think
about wearing a long sleeve shirt tomorrowig. Back to cue joints.....flat faced big pin ivory is #1.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I strictly played a piloted steel joint for >40 years but switched to elephant back in mid-2000.
Living in CA does has its limitations, such as cue buying & selling, but it was 67 degrees today.
It makes up for a lot when I look at the weather others are getting......Brrr......it makes me think
about wearing a long sleeve shirt tomorrowig. Back to cue joints.....flat faced big pin ivory is #1.

I had a cue with a big chunk of ivory for a joint. I hated the feel.

Thats why they make almond joy and mounds.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite joint is made by Guido Orlandi. Comes in SS & Phenolic.

Being a tapered joint, it guarantees concentricity & longitudinal straightness.

Attachments

• Guido joint.jpg
    Guido joint.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 714

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool. Never saw one like that before.

Kinda like Layani cues. Cool and all that, but even more proprietary, so while it may be a great concept, it`s gonna be even harder to try a shaft from another brand on your cue.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seem to remember a blind test that was done once and almost no one got the right answer as to what type of joint they had hit with. The cues were taped off so the joints could not be seen if my old memory is working..