Swapping a Revo uniloc insert for Mezz united insert

tbayplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this an issue to do this? Anyone ever did this swap before?

Attachments

• B6A8956D-A29D-42CA-A7E2-0FACAD9ACA16.jpg
    B6A8956D-A29D-42CA-A7E2-0FACAD9ACA16.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 391

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Okay, am I missing something? The OP asked about subbing a uniloc insert on a revo to a Mezz united insert, correct? If so, I am not understanding the previous 2 replies. Unless I am mistaken, He is holding a Mezz insert in his hand and is looking to install it in his Revo, which has a Uniloc insert. Re-installing a uniloc will not do what he wants, and buying the Revo with the radial joint will not either, as he wants the Mezz united (5/16x14 modified) insert, presumably to fit a butt that has the Mezz pin? Just looking to clarify, I know it's late here on the east coast.....lol
Dave

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, am I missing something? The OP asked about subbing a uniloc insert on a revo to a Mezz united insert, correct? If so, I am not understanding the previous 2 replies. Unless I am mistaken, He is holding a Mezz insert in his hand and is looking to install it in his Revo, which has a Uniloc insert. Re-installing a uniloc will not do what he wants, and buying the Revo with the radial joint will not either, as he wants the Mezz united (5/16x14 modified) insert, presumably to fit a butt that has the Mezz pin? Just looking to clarify, I know it's late here on the east coast.....lol
Dave

It's only late if you actually sleep. Lol
It would be easier if the Revo was a radial as opposed to getting the uni loc insert out. I'm sure you see that. At least, I would hope you do.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes OP is holding a United Joint insert and want to swap out the Uni-Loc insert. Both Michael and Joey are right. It would be alot easier if you started with a radial tapped Revo shaft, and since OP is starting with a Uni-Loc shaft, Joey is right, it needs to be drilled, plugged and tapped again. I use phenolic instead of Micarta though..
Harvesting a old insert, often isn`t ideal. I would just install a regular 5/16-14 insert, I prefer the 7/16-20 external thread ones.

tbayplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s some good info, thank you very much. I’m going to scrap the idea of putting the Mezz shaft insert in and plug, drill, tap in a regular 5/16 14 insert. I would have liked to use the Mezz insert for that tight fit of the tapered insert but it seems the other way is much easier.

CavinTan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All you have to do is tap a 5/16-14 inside the uniloc insert. it can serve as a dual joint. No need to reinstall anything.
cheers, Cav.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s some good info, thank you very much. I’m going to scrap the idea of putting the Mezz shaft insert in and plug, drill, tap in a regular 5/16 14 insert. I would have liked to use the Mezz insert for that tight fit of the tapered insert but it seems the other way is much easier.

If your someone who cares about the warranty of the Revo, I would check to see if what you plan on doing voids the warranty or not. There seems to be mixed opinions from others and I don't know what the truth about it really is.

Last edited:

tbayplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your someone who cares about the warranty of the Revo, I would check to see if what you plan on doing voids the warranty or not. There seems to be mixed opinions from others and I don't know what the truth about it really is.

Im not worried about the warranty. Lots of Revo shafts out there.