Clearcoat

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member

shankster8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the link, Randy. Ah, the hidden costs emerge. Filters cost three time the gun. Still, a beautiful system; your pics prove that. One of these days . . . Thanks for your input!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Boy, you're a big spender.

$T2eC16FHJIYFHOE1HpjVBSIUZF)9Uw~~60_1.JPG

That and a $12 disposable on the gun do it for me.
$_35.JPG

For air compressor, I love California Air. My neighbors can't even hear it fire up . It's so quiet. I won't get anything else if it's noisier. It has a filter and a water trap too. Of course, you still need the air purifier.
$_1.JPG

There's a multi-stage air dryer with assisted air breather built in too, but I forgot what it is. My local paint shop sells it. It goes for close to $700 iirc. Well worth it if you don't have assisted air breather yet.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member

$_35.JPG

For air compressor, I love California Air. My neighbors can't even hear it fire up . It's so quiet. I won't get anything else if it's noisier. It has a filter and a water trap too. Of course, you still need the air purifier.
$_1.JPG

There's a multi-stage air dryer with assisted air breather built in too, but I forgot what it is. My local paint shop sells it. It goes for close to $700 iirc. Well worth it if you don't have assisted air breather yet.

Hi,

If you buy a desiccant filter and put it upstream of your gun and downstream of your coalescing filter you should drain the moisture from the filters and air receiver every day. They make automatic drain systems for this that are inexpensive.

You can put the desiccant filter pellets in the oven a 250 degrees for a few hours when they turn pink and they will return to the blue color ready again to absorb the moisture from the system. Recycling these babies saves a lot of money and works well.

I use two desiccant filters in my pneumatic set up in my shop. One large one just downstream of the coalescing filter that keeps my shop air dry and a second smaller one just upstream of my spray gun. This way I bake the pellets from my large filter when the start to turn pink. By doing this I hardly ever have to service the smaller filter and when I do, i put brand new pellets in the filter and recycle the old ones to the primary larger filer pellet stock. After a while you can not heat them up anymore and reuse them and they must be discarded. They start looking brown when they go bad.

Since I installed this set up some years ago I have not had any fish eyes or white moisture specs in any of my finishes.

Buying those small disposable filters is very expensive and they don't last too long in the summer. You can buy the pellets in bulk sizes at McMaster Carr.

Another thing that is very important is to keep your air supply hose for your spray station off any concrete floors. Relative humidity is directly related to temperature in a big way and the difference between the ambient air temp in your shop and the a concrete floor can cause condensation in a pressurized hose lying on the floor. When the temp and the dew point meet the moisture condenses in the hose and can accumulate and be blown downstream.

JMO,

Rick

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
You can put the desiccant filter pellets in the oven a 250 degrees for a few hours when they turn pink and they will return to the blue color ready again to absorb the moisture from the system. Recycling these babies saves a lot of money and works well.
I am for recycling and saving $.
Great tip. Thanks.
I'll dry them with the chicken in the stove too.:thumbup:

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member

$_35.JPG

$_1.JPG

Not really a big spender. As you know I have found most of what I have at bargain prices..

Most recently, 3 Lista cabinets and the butcher block top for 150.00

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Not really a big spender. As you know I have found most of what I have at bargain prices..

Most recently, 3 Lista cabinets and the butcher block top for 150.00

Randy,

You know what they call guys who watch the pennies!

Millionaires!!

Rick

shankster8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recycling desiccant filter pellets

This might be of help. My hearing aids came with a storage jar containing a pouch of dessicant beads. The instructions say:

In the pouch about 5% of the grains are blue. These indicator beads will lose their color as the beads fill up with moisture. When you no longer see any blue in the pillow, it is time to reactivate.

To Reactivate:

Microwave Oven: Remove the pouch from the jar. Place on microwave safe plate with plastic side of pillow up. Heat for 1 minute on high. If beads do not change color, heat for 30 seconds longer, but do not go past 2 minutes total. Let the pillow cool before handling.

Conventional Oven: Remove the pouch from jar. Bake for 45 minutes at 300. Turn off oven and allow pillow to cool before handling.

Since most people have microwaves these days, this method might be handier than the oven. FYI, the dessicant beads in the pouch are silica gel - don't know if that is the same as in the compressor air driers discussed above.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
It might be a bit louder, but my compressor can give yours the six out, 4 on the wire to 7, and the breaks....

Attachments

• compressor.jpg
    compressor.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 137