Favorite South West Wood Combinations???

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
No more so than a Keith Kue,he does the same thing over and over,just a bunch of needle points,but if you like it you like it.

actually not even close. Keith has experimented with all kinds of stuff over the years. The pointed cues at least very up in amount, size and placement of points. Not to mention ring work. SW uses the same rings in everything. I never see anything different from them anymore. always the same amount of points/recuts and a $3-5k price tag. (I know there is some more intricate stuff out there as well.) Almost seem like a simi production cue. Comparing Keith Kues and southwest is comparing apples and oranges.

I'm sorry but SW cues are just boring for the most part.

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
actually not even close. Keith has experimented with all kinds of stuff over the years. The pointed cues at least very up in amount, size and placement of points. Not to mention ring work. SW uses the same rings in everything. I never see anything different from them anymore. always the same amount of points/recuts and a $3-5k price tag. (I know there is some more intricate stuff out there as well.) Almost seem like a simi production cue. Comparing Keith Kues and southwest is comparing apples and oranges.

I'm sorry but SW cues are just boring for the most part.

I was thinking apples to octopi. :wink:

best,
brian kc

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
I was thinking apples to octopi. :wink:

best,
brian kc

That's actually probably closer. I don't think SW are bad cues. In fact, they are VERY good cues, just boring. I also find most of Searing's work or Gus, or Bushka or any other people that just do the same thing over and over and over to be boring. Sign me up for a Tonkin, Fancy BB, T. Wayne, or any other number of guys pushing themselves to try new things. (This is of course from an astetic stand point, SW playability is tough to beat.)

just to be clear, I genuinly like SW cues. There just boring to look at. Still very good cues.

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's actually probably closer. I don't think SW are bad cues. In fact, they are VERY good cues, just boring. I also find most of Searing's work or Gus, or Bushka or any other people that just do the same thing over and over and over to be boring. Sign me up for a Tonkin, Fancy BB, T. Wayne, or any other number of guys pushing themselves to try new things. (This is of course from an astetic stand point, SW playability is tough to beat.)

Agreed

Ken

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
I think what Justin is missing is that to a person that is not close to a specific cue, from the outside, they all start to look the same. SW, Keith, 4 point cues, nothing is immune to that. This is why they change body styles on cars every few years.

Especially when people start accumulating a large volume of work. The more out there, the more they run together. It's not everyone, but its 95%, IMHO.

So people will tend to like and stay with what they like. I look at Bushkas and although they look the same, I look and think about the champions that George supplied, and the championships that were won from 1960-1985ish with his cues. That is what makes Balabushka, Balabushka.

IMHO it is how the far east views South West. They have champions playing with South Wests, so its a bit of heroism. Which BTW is perfectly acceptable.

http://www.classiccues.com/cuemakers/southwest_examples_cues.html

Joe

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

just to be clear, I genuinly like SW cues. There just boring to look at. Still very good cues.

Justin;

I also think there is a "boring" look to many southwests.

But when I'm eyeballing a sw, I'm seeing much more than the 3 hi and 3 low and predictable rings and buttsleeves.

I'm seeing a brilliantly executed product that has an impressively high consistency from cue to cue in how they play. That being top-notch.

I think about Jerry's untimely passing and how Laurie kept things going and helped build the company into what it is today.

I've heard some people say that those who are on sw's 12 or 13 year wait list must have drank the kool-aid.

I disagree. I think they see the sum total of what sw is; that's where the real beauty lies.

best,
brian kc <----- and with all that said, I've def seen some sw wood combos that knocked my socks off. Greg A had the prettiest one of all about a year ago. :cool: :smile:

Last edited:

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's another one!!! Just love the hit and feel of a SW....you can feel the quality as soon as you hold it.

835317556_o.jpg

835317545_o.jpg

835317591_o.jpg

Last edited:

Andy Hughes

Registered
Jerry Franklin was one of my best friends. We also played on the same pool team here in Las Vegas for years. He did indeed like Pau Ferro quite a bit. Here is one of my South West cues.

image.jpg

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Birdseye forearm, tulipwood points, no veneers, birdseye butt sleeve, tulipwood section, simple black plastic and natural rings.