cuesmith belts

danny turner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
does anyone have a source for belts for hightower deluxe lathe. belts that chris sells tend to rollover and get out of shape.need to be a rubber type with cord in them.

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
Mine only rolled when it was beat. You may want to check your alignment between the headstock and the motor.

olsonsview

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a suggestion

make sure all the pulley grooves line up perfect. I had the same issues until I made very sure the grooves were in perfect alignment. And once a belt starts to flip just figure you need to replace it. It seems best to remove tension off the belt when you are not using the lathe, If you leave it under tension that will shorten the belt life. Hope that helps?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
If you leave it under tension that will shorten the belt life. Hope that helps?

A good piece of advice here. I am still on the first belt and I know there are others that are as well.

I believe Chad Carter has access to them. Google Taig and his name. If I remember, he told me that there are 2 different sizes for the minis.

Here is the number on mine:
Dura Flex GL Cog 2L 200

Good Year makes belts for everything. Small timing belts, transmission belts. They should be able to find a cross over number for you.

Obviously, these belts were made for something else other than on mini lathes so they are out there.

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
make sure all the pulley grooves line up perfect. I had the same issues until I made very sure the grooves were in perfect alignment. And once a belt starts to flip just figure you need to replace it. It seems best to remove tension off the belt when you are not using the lathe, If you leave it under tension that will shorten the belt life. Hope that helps?

And how are you supposed to relax the tension??????

Kim

Busbee Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And how are you supposed to relax the tension??????

Kim

If you have your motor set up on a hinge there is not alot of tension on the belt, the weight of the motor gives more than enough tension to keep the belt from slipping. I have been using the same belt for over 4 years with no problems.

Last edited:

chuckpilegis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good piece of advice here. I am still on the first belt and I know there are others that are as well.

I believe Chad Carter has access to them. Google Taig and his name. If I remember, he told me that there are 2 different sizes for the minis.

Here is the number on mine:
Dura Flex GL Cog 2L 200

Good Year makes belts for everything. Small timing belts, transmission belts. They should be able to find a cross over number for you.

Obviously, these belts were made for something else other than on mini lathes so they are out there.

2L =1/4 inch wide 200= 20 inch long

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The inside cogged belts will distort much easier if there is anything out of line or if over tightened. Another option is the regular black belts without the inside cog. They will last longer but give a little vibration. Only you can decide if the trade off is worth it. On the variable speed motors that lock down the non-cogged belt does not cause as much vibration as it does on the hinge type motors.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I had a hell of a time getting mine to stop flipping, even a new one. I found a hardened straight edge that I used to align with, and found it to be out 1/8" from one pully to the other. Once it was straight and the tension was loosened a little, it never flipped. I have my tension set at about 1/4" movement at the halfway point of the belt. I think the person I bought it from moved the motor mount holes to take up the slack for a worn belt. Once I put it back to the original holes, and squared it up, all was good.

tsp&b

Silver Member
I would look here to start!!!

The inside cogged belts will distort much easier if there is anything out of line or if over tightened. Another option is the regular black belts without the inside cog. They will last longer but give a little vibration. Only you can decide if the trade off is worth it. On the variable speed motors that lock down the non-cogged belt does not cause as much vibration as it does on the hinge type motors.

:thumbup: I would look here to start. Problem is probably not the belt.

Last edited:

GatzkeCues

It used to be a hobby
Silver Member
black rubber belt

I work my machine pretty hard running the gun drill. The motor is on a hinge but I tighten it down and run a support from the headstock to the motor to lock it tight.
Gates # Truflex 0200 or industry #2L200 is what your looking for.
If you have no luck finding one e-mail me and I can hook you up.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I work my machine pretty hard running the gun drill. The motor is on a hinge but I tighten it down and run a support from the headstock to the motor to lock it tight.
Gates # Truflex 0200 or industry #2L200 is what your looking for.
If you have no luck finding one e-mail me and I can hook you up.

I have the yellow/tan cog style belt on My deluxe, and It has never failed. I bought an extra belt for the lathe, but never needed It, and ended up using that on a rod wrapping lathe that I built.

I just recently finished up the motor mount and control box on another lathe. I got a Mid sized large bore headstock from Chris for that lathe. I just finished making My bracket and control box, so that They are both mounted to headstock and can be repositioned anywhere that I want on the bedway without relocating the motor. I can pretty much set the tension where ever I want, but for now I set It so that It just will slip If I grab the work piece really hard for safety reasons. The tension is not high at all but it still grips well for a "V" belt. If I need more tension then I can set It tight enough that It would cause injury if I tried to make it slip, so I still have that option when drilling a difficult material. I bored out the motor pulley that Chris sent with the headstock, so that It would fit My motor, and used the black rubber Gates "V" belt that he sent as well. It looks to be a little smaller size then the 200, but fits both pulleys well, and so far seems to be running well too. I have not put It through the test yet, but It seems like It's gonna be fine. I haven't experienced any belts rolling over yet though. Any belts that I have received from Chris have yet to need replacing. With such a low failure rate I think I would order them from Him anyhow. If I had a high failure rate then I may consider buying them in bulk.

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Belts

My lathe has never given me any trouble with belts. It is aligned and stays that way after I had initial problems. Not a complaint in the world now. Just check the basics and I bet it works great after that...
JerseyBill