ferrule

danny turner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what ferrule makes that distinctive tink sound you hear with some cues. tips also change sound but not like the ferrule does.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I once talked to a guy named Alvin from Maryland if I remember correctly that had a Phillippi cue that had that distinct sound. I wanted to buy the cue but he did not want to sell it. I too am curious to what ferrule and or tip combination creates that distinct sound.

Kevin

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I once talked to a guy named Alvin from Maryland if I remember correctly that had a Phillippi cue that had that distinct sound. I wanted to buy the cue but he did not want to sell it. I too am curious to what ferrule and or tip combination creates that distinct sound.

Kevin

I'm guessing capped melamine ferrule. They do ping with hard tips.

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member
Phenolic

I had a break cue with a phenolic tip on a melamine ferrule
and it had that distinct sound. I just replaced the tip with
a Samsara since several sets of rules no longer allow the
phenolic tips and it doesnt sound the same but it still has
a fairly distinct ping. Side note: love the Samsara tip, it
actually breaks better than the phenolic.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
While material type & quality are factors, so are things like shaft quality, tonal characteristics of the butt, and install technique of the ferrule. Even taking the bumper off your cue will enhance the ping sound. Rubber absorbs the vibrations, killing the sound. Old Brunswick catalogs referred to them as sound suppressors, not bumpers. Of course that was in a time when cues had oil finishes & were used to play with, not look at.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
While material type & quality are factors, so are things like shaft quality, tonal characteristics of the butt, and install technique of the ferrule. Even taking the bumper off your cue will enhance the ping sound. Rubber absorbs the vibrations, killing the sound. Old Brunswick catalogs referred to them as sound suppressors, not bumpers. Of course that was in a time when cues had oil finishes & were used to play with, not look at.

Good to hear some feed back from you Eric, huge fan of your cues and love the way they "ping" great to get some insight on the topic.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The material probably could be anything but IMO it's most likely going to be ivory ferrules.
Ivory, especially when the cue ball is struck on the top side for follow or a little below center
for a short stun or lower for a draw, makes the tink sound and interestingly, you don't hear
this same sound as often with using horizontal english or even center ball strokes.

Last edited: