Is it possible to get 2 cue tips out of 1?

raven5000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this possible. I notice some of these tips come pretty thick? I was thinking about cutting in half that way i can get more out of my purchase? Thoughts on this? I

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You get 2 skinny tips that need replacing after a weeks play, maybe. Then on top you risk the ferrule being damaged.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I know there was at least one and maybe more people that believed that the White Diamond break/jump tip worked better if cut down thin so they were cutting the tip in half with a thin parting tool on a lathe.

His break/jump cues were pretty popular so maybe there is something to it.

I also heard a story about a guy doing this same thing with dadgum Kamuis and charging 25.00 for half a tip. Piss on that guy :rolleyes:. Tommy D.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
It may sound ridiculous but I have a customer that has me cut his tip down to 2 layers. It would be possible to get 2 tips from one..............

But I would not do that............

Kim

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some people used to cut the old Moori tips in two. But by the time they shaped them they only had a layer or two of side wall left and now Moori does not make their tips as thick. If you could glue two tips together you could probably get three out of some of them.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
You can get about 9 tips out of one Kamui, and get rich selling them by the layer.
I always wondered if there was an application for the layers that you take off most tips during installation, man they really pile up.
Also, you could glue 9 scrap layers together, and have a tip that is soft, medium, or hard, depending on which layer you're on.
Cuemakers please save the piles of excess tip layers, mistakes, scrap, and send it to me for recycle.
50-cents will be donated to the Cuemaker Fund for every multi-layered recycled tip we install.
Go green, and think of how we are saving the environment, and keeping it real.

:smile:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cut at least half my Kamui Black SS tip off one of my shafts and it still was as long as most other tips are whole. I cut it down in increments, so I didn't have the complete other half to use, but I'm sure I could have if I'd thought about it first.

I use that shaft to play with every weekend and it still has plenty of tip left and it plays a lot better than it did when it was the original length.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Here's something that you may not have considered.
Cutting the tip in half will indeed give you two tips though each would be half height.
You would now also have two installation charges for two half tips. What have you saved ?
Another point of interest though non-related; Two can live as cheaply as one.................
for about half as long.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cutting the tip in half will indeed give you two tips though each would be half height.
You would now also have two installation charges for two half tips. What have you saved ?
Another point of interest though non-related; Two can live as cheaply as one.................
for about half as long.

I was only single for about a year and a half after my first wife passed away, but it sure seems like since I remarried that I am spending more than twice what I was during my short single time. :)

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for about half as long.

I put my own tips on, so cost is not a factor to me...playability is the only factor that I care about.

shakes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, you can, but as these guys have mentioned, in most instances there are more drawbacks than benefits. For me, I put on phenolic tips with a very thin leather buffalo tip covering it just for a little more grip. I install the tip, then I use cueman's tip shaper to hold a razor blade on edge as a cut off tool and part it in half.