Revo and One Pocket

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I think I understand what the OP is trying to ask, and in the interest of being useful and not a smartass, I'll relay my own experiences.

I think that I play straight pool better with my older Mezz shaft than I do with my Revo. I feel like I have better touch/feel with the tight and precise positional shots that straight pool demands with the feedback I get from the wood shaft. However, I feel like the Revo is better when having to stroke the ball and move it over medium/long distance, like you do playing rotation games.

The Revo isn't a bad choice for any game. It might take a little more adjusting to get used to playing tight shape with it. Some say it spins more or more easily, others refute that. In my experience it certainly seems to spin the ball easier, and that might take some adjustment.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know of any players at DCC that switch cues between the different games? If there is anyplace to see if the best players think there is an advantage to changing cues or shafts for different games, that would be the event.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know of any players at DCC that switch cues between the different games? If there is anyplace to see if the best players think there is an advantage to changing cues or shafts for different games, that would be the event.

Yup. Spinning banks is a very feel-based thing. I see a few top players switching to a different cue for that game if they "regularly" shoot with a low squirt cue. Maybe they also switch for one pocket.

I bank way better with a normal squirt cue. Not that I couldn't learn with a low squirt cue, but I don't want to change my whole system for the same or worse results.

Freddie

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
What do you attribute that to?

pj
chgo
Understanding the squirt of my cue and being automatic with it. As I said, I could learn how to use a low squirt shaft for spin banks, but no reason to if I'm already using a good system with my normal squirt shaft.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is that a particular problem with banks vs. other side spin shots? ...
I think it is. There is a lot more going on with banks because of the interaction with the cushion. At bank pool maybe it's not as much of a problem because of the way bank pool players seem to minimize the variables, but at one pocket, where you are often trying to also leave the cue ball on the correct small spot, everything has to match.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Is that a particular problem with banks vs. other side spin shots?

pj
chgo

I think it is. There is a lot more going on with banks because of the interaction with the cushion. At bank pool maybe it's not as much of a problem because of the way bank pool players seem to minimize the variables, but at one pocket, where you are often trying to also leave the cue ball on the correct small spot, everything has to match.
Banks/1P certainly have their own unique challenges (don't get me started)... but I thought Fred was saying squirt compensation (i.e., aiming accuracy) is the issue. Is that also part of what you're saying?

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Banks/1P certainly have their own unique challenges (don't get me started)... but I thought Fred was saying squirt compensation (i.e., aiming accuracy) is the issue. Is that also part of what you're saying?

pj
chgo
Yes. You learn bank shots at one pocket that you never use in any other game. Usually they have spin. Sometimes there a a great deal of swerve to adjust for. If you learn those with a particular cue and that learning is subconscious, I think it will be hard to play all of those special shots with a cue that has a different squirt.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yes. You learn bank shots at one pocket that you never use in any other game. Usually they have spin. Sometimes there a a great deal of swerve to adjust for. If you learn those with a particular cue and that learning is subconscious, I think it will be hard to play all of those special shots with a cue that has a different squirt.
Oh, I get it now. Thanks (Fred too).

pj
chgo

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago one of those "know-it-alls" once told me Meucci's were made for 14.1 Straight Pool and McDermott's were made for One Pocket, or vice versa. I had forgotten all about that brilliant tidbit until I saw this thread! lol

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago one of those "know-it-alls" once told me Meucci's were made for 14.1 Straight Pool and McDermott's were made for One Pocket, or vice versa. I had forgotten all about that brilliant tidbit until I saw this thread! lol

I had cue expert tell me that Meucci cues were better for 9 ball because the whippy shafts and implex joints would spin and draw the ball better than steel jointed Schon cues.
Now in a fit of temporary insanity in the mid '80s i sold my Schon and bought a Meucci and damned if he wasn't right.
I could draw and spin the rock with much less effort with the Meucci than the Schon.
Go figure.

Sofla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Once some new people at the pool room asked where the house cues were. I asked them if they were right or left handed, and pointed to which wall sections had the left and right handed cues.

And they thanked me. :D

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I use a different stick for breaking one pocket.

The break stick is heavier, and I kick break, so I want a firmer/heavy hit instead of the lighter small tip hit.

You can only use it for the break shot in one pocket.

There is an accustats tape somewhere in which Billy says Grady is the only player he ever heard of who has a break cue for one pocket. You will be in good company;)

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

That’s pretty much everything I was saying.