This what you were thinking about.

Attachments

• 20190214_211055.jpg
    20190214_211055.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 378

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Yes ... Did you extend the base yourself?

I kinda took the easy way out and bought one of the older CueMonster CNC machines that Jim at Unique Products had used as a demo unit.
Just the mechanics ... I will add my own stepper motors and controller to it.
Looking forward to once again being able to custom taper shafts to any profile accurately.

I will still keep my 30x40 cnc machine for the odd jobs best suited for it.
Namely cutting out inlay pieces.

BTW I have been using that same water cooled spindle on my TaperShaper machine and am very impressed with the smoothness of the cut and the
quietness of it. Compared to a router it makes no noise at all and is vibration free.

Last edited:

Randy.Anderson

Registered
Yes i did, started as 3040 now is 30100 here is video of it cutting shafts, it is much quieter than my router if I had it years ago my ears might not ring all the time.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Yes i did, started as 3040 now is 30100 here is video of it cutting shafts, it is much quieter than my router if I had it years ago my ears might not ring all the time.

You should consider making up a conversion kit and offering it here on AZ.
I bet you could sell a few of them.

CavinTan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought one of these "30X40 CNC machines" from ebay a few years ago and wanted to share the results with all you.

These are under $600 for 4 axis model. (30x40 size) some even come with Mach3 software.

A full size cue maker it is not as it wont taper shafts ... but it will travel over 12" on the X axis and that is plenty for forearm points and butt inlays.
You will need to make some jigs to hold the cue but that is no big deal.
I index the cue manually but am planning on extending the bed somehow then I could use the 4th axis to rotate and index the cue like the big dogs do.

As you can see from the photo the inlays it can produce are tight and true.
That is what matters. If the inlays are not tight then the rest is moot.

The stock spindle (48vdc motor) only runs about 12,000 rpm so that would be a good thing to upgrade so the feed rate speed could be increased.

Also ... as I have offered in the past, I am willing to share my CNC files with anyone wanting them. Use them to learn to make your own or put them in your cues as they are ... you have my permission as they are not copyrighted.

I am willing to help anyone as much as I can to learn and do CNC inlays.

William Lee
do you have more photos on how that jig clamps the rest of cue in place?