WWYD -- 9 ball total trap

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I made an edit on my first post to add:

Went down to the laboratory to give this a try and with a firm stroke shot with reverse spin I made the hit a few times but even better was when it went longer (majority) it also hit the bottom short rail and came under the 1b. Once it made a bad hit 9b and a couple no hits mixed in. I actually like the longer release 4 railer coming under the 1. This is not a very difficult hit if your comfortable getting just below the side pocket on the opposite long rail with reverse.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd probably try to go 2 rails around the 3 ball.

Alternate option - the Derby City move where you pull the fire alarm and turn off the lights and re-arrange the balls a little. I won't say the name of the late great player who is suspected of doing that.

bb9ball

Registered
Filler played a very nice masse safety to leave the cue ball nearly frozen to the 6 ball. Not sure if he intentionally set up the 1-9 combo. Of course the problem with setting up a combo with the hidden ball is that your opponent might hit it.

As well as he can run out, I would be shocked if he thought to play the combo. For him, I think the only benefit of the possible combo is for his opponent.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I made an edit on my first post to add:

Went down to the laboratory to give this a try and with a firm stroke shot with reverse spin I made the hit a few times but even better was when it went longer (majority) it also hit the bottom short rail and came under the 1b. Once it made a bad hit 9b and a couple no hits mixed in. I actually like the longer release 4 railer coming under the 1. This is not a very difficult hit if your comfortable getting just below the side pocket on the opposite long rail with reverse.

here's what I am talking about (excuse the primitive paint-mouse work):

Attachments

• table-diagram.jpg
    table-diagram.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 208

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Filler played a very nice masse safety to leave the cue ball nearly frozen to the 6 ball. Not sure if he intentionally set up the 1-9 combo. Of course the problem with setting up a combo with the hidden ball is that your opponent might hit it.

The situation he is leaving is a fine trade-off for the risk of incoming player making the combo though.

You'd like to start every game from one side of that layout.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And when you start bending the cb after rail contact, you are entering the force zone...you know, the place where the ball will be on the floor and you are wondering why you thought you could do that.

Been there. Often.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And when you start bending the cb after rail contact, you are entering the force zone...you know, the place where the ball will be on the floor and you are wondering why you thought you could do that.

Been there. Often.

I always figured I hit a piece of chalk on the way to the rail.
I know what I can do.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can shoot into the jaws at at the top of the picture. Far tit, near tit, up the side of the table at the 9. Not sure if the cue ball has the right entry angle but if there's enough, the cueball will have enough speed to damage the combo; maybe nick the one and billiard the 9.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That’s what I’d try but I’m sure that third rail would shorten up a lot. I feel like I might be more likely to hit the 1 head on than come under it from an extra rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
On the particular table I'm using in Virtual Pool, you can get that path to work. You have to hit it pretty hard. If you hit on the near side of the side pocket instead, you can go direct to the 1 ball after the bottom side rail.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Might just have to jack up to the left and fire at it looking to disrupt the 9 or 6 in that area. Looks like it may be pretty close to a legit shot.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i havent read any replies
but it looks like the cue ball is on the 4 diamond path in the plus 2 system
use draw running to get around the 3 and lengthen the angle
or ....:D
jewett wwyd.jpg

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
i havent read any replies
but it looks like the cue ball is on the 4 diamond path in the plus 2 system
use draw running to get around the 3 and lengthen the angle
or ....:D
View attachment 557914

Larry;

If you look at post #24 you'll see I suggested a similar path as yours but with hitting the 3rd rail below the side pocket instead. This, I feel, gives a better chance at hitting the 1b while avoiding the more narrow opportunity caused by the 5b.

Basically, you get a bigger landing zone for a successful hit.

Another potential upside to hitting below the side pocket is that you stand a better chance of kicking the 1b up with possible cover.
best,
brian kc

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8ff3bd0d866b34eb8552d9da1b564bd6.jpg

I tried it for about 20 minutes. No video today, I’ve been reconfiguring my setup.

Hitting short of the side pocket consistently tracked short. Maybe hitting the 5 ball but more commonly hitting the 4 or 7.

Hitting passed the side pocket, I could not hit the 1 directly. I was surprised to see the ball go wide. I would have thought the running spin from the first to rails would have checked up on the third. It didn’t. It went wide every time. Maybe I just didn’t visualize the approach path very well.

Four or five times I was able to catch that fourth long rail and hit the 1 from below. Three of them had enough juice to get a rail. They might not have been a sellout but I’d expect a safety back because the opponent had view of the full ball from close up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro