Touching balls in the rack before break

northshoremb

Registered
Hello I've never thought about this before but in 8 ball can you touch the balls and roll balls tight without the rack over the balls? Like say you rack and headband or wing ball moves after you remove rack can you use you finger to reset the moved ball or must use the rack over balls? Just something I was thinking about

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No......you have to use the rack in competitive play, maybe not with your buddies, but when it counts.
You can’t be touching the balls in the rack even to seemingly improve the tightness.....gotta rack again.

northshoremb

Registered
No......you have to use the rack in competitive play, maybe not with your buddies, but when it counts.
You can’t be touching the balls in the rack even to seemingly improve the tightness.....gotta rack again.
Ok so as long as the rack is Over top of the balls you can spin or replace balls. Just was something I was thinking about cause as long as you didn't break yet never knew what sense that made

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello I've never thought about this before but in 8 ball can you touch the balls and roll balls tight without the rack over the balls? Like say you rack and headband or wing ball moves after you remove rack can you use you finger to reset the moved ball or must use the rack over balls? Just something I was thinking about.

If you're racking you should try to get the balls tight. That might require some "touching up."

Some tournaments have forbidden touching the balls after the rack is removed because players have been known to manipulate racks by introducing small gaps in the right places with light brushing of balls on the edge. That is more at 9 ball than 8 ball. I think the breaker at 8 ball wants the balls as tight as possible and has a right to have them that way.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha ha Tyson is awesome!

Sometimes gaps in the rack aren’t noticed until the triangle is removed. I see no issue touching it instead of putting the triangle back on. Pros do the same in tournaments.

In recent years it’s become more frowned upon, but like Tyson said every one has a good plan until they get punched in the mouth.