3020 3axis cnc machine .....

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I bought one of these desk top 3 axis cnc routers thinking I would use it as a flat bed cutting machine to cut out the inlays that I wanted to use in pens and cues.
From the price of $499 for the machine, 3 stepper motors, a controller, an accessory kit and software, I was not expecting a lot of quality.
It took a day to tune the machine and motors in Mach3 and I was surprised that the machine had very little or no backlash.
I did need to adjust one axis for tightness but that was it.
So ... I had all my CNC programs from a few years ago and one complex inlay piece.
I cut a test pocket in some wood to see if the machine could match the accuracy of my previous cnc machine.
The pocket fit the old inlay just right.
After using the machine for a few weeks and running several old cnc programs I am truly impressed with it.
The hardware is very sturdy.
The motor is a bit slow (10,000rpm) but running at 2 ipm I can cut with .020 bits and no breakage in wood.
For $499 it is a real deal.
Dont expect much support from the seller ... take it as hardware and get help elsewhere.
I added a 4th axis drive and tailstock for $250 and a 4th axis control board for an amazing $6. all from ebay.
So I have a 4 axis cnc machine for under $850.
I use this for pens that require very small inlays but they must be top quality.
However I can see that with a bit of tinkering and some custom made jigs it could do pool cue inlays.

I know some will post telling me this is junk, that it can not cut good inlays, that the motor runs to slow, I dont know what I am talking about, and any number of other reasons it can not work.
That is just the nature of the forum.
All I can say is it works for me and for less than $850 I think I got a steal on a cnc machine that will do the job.

Here is the address to the machine I bought on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171569510983?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I am posting this to help others looking for a cheaper way to experience the fun of custom inlays.
If you get one of these and need help feel free to call me and I will offer what help I can based on my experience.

Willee

Last edited:

TC Mabe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for posting this ... I have been on the fence about buying one ... I'm actually compiling the parts to build a 24x48 with supported linear rail ... Your post is encouraging ...

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Richard, if you will email me ... n5wrx(at)stx.rr.com ... I will send you back my entire library of cnc designs that I use in my pens and cues.
Both the BobCad drawing and the G-code that I generated to cut the pocket and inlay pieces.
You can tweak and modify them to use in your projects.

The file size is 50 mb so be sure your email account will allow files that big.

Willee

Last edited:

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
Willee, you had any experience with the JCut 6090 machines? That 3020 is probably great for your pens but what are you using for cues?

Thanks for any help!

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Willee, you had any experience with the JCut 6090 machines? That 3020 is probably great for your pens but what are you using for cues?

Thanks for any help!

Don, you are right that this machine does pens well but I think I can make some sort of fixture to hold a cue butt in the cutting area.
That means I would need to mark the cue and position it manually in some sort of a cradle fixture as the 4th axis is not wide enough to hold a cue butt.
I guess there are other ways if your mind is inventive enough ... after all the machine dont know how long the piece of wood it is cutting is ... it just does the thing it is programed to do.
This project has went so well and taught me so much that my plans are to try to build a full size cue inlay and tapering machine this summer.

I have always used BobCad as my CAD / CAM program and that is what all my drawing files are saved as.

No experience other than a Unique CueMonster I had for years and this new little Chinese machine.

BTW: The cnc machine I have uses a 12 to 48 vdc motor but the control box that was supplied only provided 24vdc to it.
I hooked it up to a 0 to 50vdc controller and it runs a lot faster allowing faster feed rates when cutting.
It runs the smoothest at 50vdc so that is where I run it.

Willee

Last edited:

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
I don't think I would want to have to mess with having to move the cue back and forth, that's why I was asking about that 36" JCUT. I didn't know if you had any experience with them. It's hard to beat for the price but now I am looking at those XZero machines that Randy posted. I would love to have a Cuemonster but just can't swing all that right now.
Thanks for the help!

waynewrc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don, you are right that this machine does pens well but I think I can make some sort of fixture to hold a cue butt in the cutting area.
That means I would need to mark the cue and position it manually in some sort of a cradle fixture as the 4th axis is not wide enough to hold a cue butt.
I guess there are other ways if your mind is inventive enough ... after all the machine dont know how long the piece of wood it is cutting is ... it just does the thing it is programed to do.
This project has went so well and taught me so much that my plans are to try to build a full size cue inlay and tapering machine this summer.

I have always used BobCad as my CAD / CAM program and that is what all my drawing files are saved as.

No experience other than a Unique CueMonster I had for years and this new little Chinese machine.

BTW: The cnc machine I have uses a 12 to 48 vdc motor but the control box that was supplied only provided 24vdc to it.
I hooked it up to a 0 to 50vdc controller and it runs a lot faster allowing faster feed rates when cutting.
It runs the smoothest at 50vdc so that is where I run it.

Willee

So did you just swap out the power supply or did you need to replace the drivers also?

I built a 4 axis cnc out of an old Atlas lathe, replaced the saddle with a gantry and drive the headstock with a stepper motor. I can use it in lathe or mill mode with Mach3. So far I've used it to turn shafts and fronts in lathe mode and cut points in half splice fronts, Works great; however, to cut the inlays I need to place a table on the ways which works just seems like another machine to cut them out would be nice.

Any g-code that you or any one is willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
So did you just swap out the power supply or did you need to replace the drivers also?

<snip>

Any g-code that you or any one is willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

Wayne I will send you my bobcad drawings and the g-code files but I need your email to do that. Yahoo works ... Gmail filters out the file.

I just wired up another adjustable power supply to supply the motor.

Willee

cutter

Steve Klein Custom Cues
Silver Member
3 axis

Willie
Pretty good price. I'd look at some motor mounts.
Direct coupling the screws to the motors will kill them pretty quick.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a test fit Bill helped me run. I'm on less than a week's worth of experience so I don't have any completed projects to show. I know Bill headed out of state on work for the next two months perhaps he can post up some completed pics when he gets back. His designs far exceed this but I think you get the idea here.

Again this is an affordable option that uses the same software. No one is suggesting that this machine could take the place of a larger or dedicated CNC machine but I think its a great place to start.

The inlay

YsIQ4Xbm.jpg

pocket

0n3OKt6m.jpg

nice press fit

4npoemTm.jpg

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Yep ... off to work in Omaha for a few months.
Got to make some money to spend making pens and cues ... LOL!

When we talk about what a machine CNC machine can or can not do it is important to consider the skill level of the operator.
Someone that has experience drafting, programing, and setting up the machine can overcome a lot of problems that a new user would face.
Unfortunately there those that without seeing the machine, seeing the results, or actively talking to a user will dismiss the machine as junk and not worthy of their attention based upon price alone.
I say let the results speak for the machine and if a low cost piece of equipment will do the job then all the better.
This machine when properly set up and programed will produce inlays as good as any machine out there regardless of the price.
Because of its size and the spindle that comes with it the machine does have its limitations however with some creative thinking and some willingness to accept new ideas most of them can be overcome.
I will not tell you this is a cue inlay machine even if I have used it to place inlays and engrave my logo on a cue. But for what it is and at the price point of $499 it is a killer deal.
It can be cutting the inlay parts while another larger machine cuts the pockets in the cue.
It can be used to engrave your logo into anything you can mount on the table.
It is a great teaching platform for a newbie to jump in and learn CNC work.
I bought this little machine not expecting a lot because of where it was made and its price ... I was totally wrong and am truly amazed at what so little money can buy.

This machine is not turnkey and if it is your first time with CNC you will need a lot of help getting it set up.
You will need to purchase a license for Mach3 software and you will need a CAD / CAM program like BobCad.
I use Bobcad Ver 20 and it works great as I do not need or use any 3D features.
Then you will need to set up Mach 3 to run this machine.

I added a small power supply for the spindle motor as it is rated for 48VDC and the control box only provided 24VDC.
At 50VDC the motor runs smooth and the RPM is a lot higher for smoother and faster cutting.
A DC motor controller rated 0 - 90 vdc from ebay would work just fine as long as you did not run it over 50 vdc.

Hope this thread will help someone getting started into small budget CNC inlays and take their work to a new level.

Always willing to help and share knowledge with anyone open minded enough to learn new things.

Willee

Last edited:

Randy.Anderson

Registered
Looking for help

Willee Cue was looking at old posts and saw your info on a 3020 you setup . would like some help with some programs to help me learn more. My email is Randy.Anderson@cox.net. might have something to trade you would like. (Old Micarta)

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Dude, you couldn't have sent him a PM ?
The box you've just opened hasn't been named yet.

BTW, welcome. What took you so long ?

Last edited:

bruppert

<Insert witty comment>
Silver Member
Did you happen to look at his other items? A rather eclectic list of items in his store :)

Randy.Anderson

Registered
Sorry . I didn't to know to pm . Just setting up my first cnc . always have used pangraph for inlays. Thanks Robert I will see if I need more help.

blackhawk357m

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Richard, if you will email me ... n5wrx(at)stx.rr.com ... I will send you back my entire library of cnc designs that I use in my pens and cues.
Both the BobCad drawing and the G-code that I generated to cut the pocket and inlay pieces.
You can tweak and modify them to use in your projects.

The file size is 50 mb so be sure your email account will allow files that big.

Willee
Hi WilleeCue, I just assembled my Genmitsu 3020Pro-Max yesterday. Any chance you'd be willing to help out a cnc noob and allow me the use of these files as well? lol sounded pretty cheesy didn't it? lmao

Thanks,

Nathan Brugmann