Does Winning (and Playing) Like He Did Make SVB A Future MC Monster?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Shane's play was all over the place at this MC but overall he did a good job and how he won the final game was pretty spectacular.

I'm wondering, could this victory and the improvement in his overall play get him past the MC curse he seemed to have on himself?

Can this be the spark he needed to make him a future Mosconi Cup monster?

best,
brian kc

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it does. What ever voodoo Johan did to the mental
game of all our players will have a lasting effect.

I have never seen Shane so happy and I could not be
happier for him.

Look out rest of the world

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I think it does. What ever voodoo Johan did to the mental
game of all our players will have a lasting effect.

I have never seen Shane so happy and I could not be
happier for him.

Look out rest of the world

He mentioned he learned allot during his time in Europe.

icucybe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely, less pressure as long as he has support around him. I expect him to play better next year under this pressure in the USA.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I'm not sure if this will make him a future monster in the MC, but I am really wondering where this sits for Shane in importance of his all time career wins. I'm thinking pretty high up there, but the highest? Not sure.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
IMO, the Mosconi format is not something one should strive to become good at. It's a gimmick exhibition tournament. Alternating break, races to 5. There are more tournaments races to 7 and mostly higher with winner breaks out there. That's also what is going to define the better player more then the Mosconi coin toss. That format allow the lesser players to compete and even win with against the best players.

Am I glad the US won... sure. Does it matter overall and define the better player... no.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, the Mosconi format is not something one should strive to become good at. It's a gimmick exhibition tournament. Alternating break, races to 5. There are more tournaments races to 7 and mostly higher with winner breaks out there. That's also what is going to define the better player more then the Mosconi coin toss. That format allow the lesser players to compete and even win with against the best players.

Am I glad the US won... sure. Does it matter overall and define the better player... no.

The Mosconi Cups are "exhibitions", not a true test of who the "best" players are in the "long run". They are short-race crap shoots, where anybody can win with your opponent only making one mistake or two, before it is all over.

The loud crowds and WWF-style hoopla creates an atmosphere similar to a carnival and attracts lots of people, but the majority of them aren't pool players of the highest caliber. I'm not saying you have to be a pro pool player to watch, but most of the people I talk to who watch this are lower-level APA players who think it is the "Mecca of Pool", just like lots of people think Hulk Hogan is the world's greatest wrestler.

If this is what it takes to grow the sport, then I hope they continue and have more of them. At the same time, I wish there would be a real "pro" tournament schedule that would encourage more people to become "pros" and they could actually make a living at it.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I get what you are saying, but I don't think it will hurt any of their ability to win in longer races. The pressure is on right from the beginning in the MC format. That can only help one's mental game in longer races- perhaps improve one's focus.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I'm not sure if this will make him a future monster in the MC, but I am really wondering where this sits for Shane in importance of his all time career wins. I'm thinking pretty high up there, but the highest? Not sure.

Saw an interview where that question was asked and Shane put it at the top of his list in his career so far.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mosconi Cups are "exhibitions", not a true test of who the "best" players are in the "long run". They are short-race crap shoots, where anybody can win with your opponent only making one mistake or two, before it is all over.

The loud crowds and WWF-style hoopla creates an atmosphere similar to a carnival and attracts lots of people, but the majority of them aren't pool players of the highest caliber. I'm not saying you have to be a pro pool player to watch, but most of the people I talk to who watch this are lower-level APA players who think it is the "Mecca of Pool", just like lots of people think Hulk Hogan is the world's greatest wrestler.

If this is what it takes to grow the sport, then I hope they continue and have more of them. At the same time, I wish there would be a real "pro" tournament schedule that would encourage more people to become "pros" and they could actually make a living at it.

This has been discussed to death...but...short races still mean the favourite wins greater than 50% of the time (otherwise Europe wouldn't have won 9 in a row and the US wouldn't have won the first few Cups), it merely reduces the edge of the stronger player.

As I also pointed out on another thread, this is the highest profile tournament in pool bar none. Look at Kazakis in tears, look at SVB's reaction when winning...it matters a huge deal to the players and probably even more to the fans (who really cares passionately, who wins any given singles tournament...most people just want to see high quality play) as you actually get to cheer on your home team, as with other sports.

However your point about a proper pro-tour is a good one, Matchroom hinted at this during the England v USA warmup game, so maybe something will come of this as they have a few pool events now.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane's play was all over the place at this MC but overall he did a good job and how he won the final game was pretty spectacular.

I'm wondering, could this victory and the improvement in his overall play get him past the MC curse he seemed to have on himself?

Can this be the spark he needed to make him a future Mosconi Cup monster?

best,
brian kc

He has always been a monster. This MC performance was his best MC performance, yes. But, he has performed at this level his entire adult life.

As someone else said, Shane is STILL GROWING as a player..........OMG, that is what his opponents HAVE TO BE THINKING.

Just imagine how Shane will perform 3 to 5 years from now..... whew...

Not to mention Sky....and the rest of the team.

The entire team showed up..

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member

I could not agree more. you can find out just as little in a bar with half decent players using this format. I would like to see a winner breaks race to twenty each player plays each player once. God bless America! If you name it the "MOSCONI CUP" make it a real contest.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could not agree more. you can find out just as little in a bar with half decent players using this format. I would like to see a winner breaks race to twenty each player plays each player once. God bless America! If you name it the "MOSCONI CUP" make it a real contest.

If they used that format the viewership would all but die.

As most know, the majority of viewers and audience watching tableside are less than serious players to say the least. For that reason, the matches have to be two things:

Exciting and fast....

Otherwise, the less than serious/ knowledgeable people will lose interest very fast.

Again, I would love to see the format you mention but it's been proven time and again that it will not work with the pool world as a whole.

Reminds me of nascar.... lots of people only remember the following:

The start 9f the race
The wrecks during the race
The first few cars across the finish line
The last car across the finish line
And......... the hit bodies running around in between everything else....

Rake

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There sure are a lot of tears for a "gimmick exhibition tournament". The major league all star game is a gimmick exhibition. Nobody cries when they lose and nobody screams in joy and relief when they win.

I wonder if the players would agree that this event is not a true test of pool ability as many on here allude to.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Shane played good enough, but not the best pool by far I've seen him play.

This is my take on him and the Mosconi Cup: I don't think Shane is properly wired for team pool. All the B.S. rah-rah crap, the pep talks between every game from coaches and teammates, etc. I think he would be better off playing in the MC if they would just let him come out and play and leave him alone until his match is over.

I myself am not properly wired for team play, and for me, all that shoulder-rubbing, pep-talk crap would not sit well with me. Maybe it doesn't for Shane either.

Just a thought.

Maniac

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

April 21-26 Mandalay bay....you ask and you will receive, many matches might go 11-9 and your wish will come true.

Maybe the USTA should play sets, best 5 outta 7 ya think???

Last edited:

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remember back in June when Shane wouldn’t participate in Johan’s training camp and had people thinking he wouldn’t play in the Mosconi Cup this year? 😂😂

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Shane played good enough, but not the best pool by far I've seen him play.

This is my take on him and the Mosconi Cup: I don't think Shane is properly wired for team pool. All the B.S. rah-rah crap, the pep talks between every game from coaches and teammates, etc. I think he would be better off playing in the MC if they would just let him come out and play and leave him alone until his match is over.

I myself am not properly wired for team play, and for me, all that shoulder-rubbing, pep-talk crap would not sit well with me. Maybe it doesn't for Shane either.

Just a thought.

Maniac

Exactly why leagues make no sense to me. Pool is not a team sport. Never was, never will be, imho.