Match 2

irock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the match Filler vs Aranas day 2 in Roy's basement on video, I tried the two sites on the posts and it didn't work..Any help would be appreciated. thank You

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the match Filler vs Aranas day 2 in Roy's basement on video, I tried the two sites on the posts and it didn't work..Any help would be appreciated. thank You
Go to Roy's Basement FB page. About all i can tell you. Check "videos" to see what's archived.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both these players just make the game look so easy and effortless. Yeah, once in a while they make a mistake, they are human. At this pace, it’s hard to imagine how good both of these guys might be in another 5 to 10 years. Yeah, I know players will somewhat plateau when they get to a certain skill level as high as this, but with such incredible natural talent for the game, who’s to say what their limits might be?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Both these players just make the game look so easy and effortless. Yeah, once in a while they make a mistake, they are human. At this pace, it’s hard to imagine how good both of these guys might be in another 5 to 10 years. Yeah, I know players will somewhat plateau when they get to a certain skill level as high as this, but with such incredible natural talent for the game, who’s to say what their limits might be?

Who knows what will happen to them in 5-10 years. Look at how great Ronnie Alcano was and he just about disappeared. I've seen some pretty damn good players come and go in my lifetime.

As far as how high someone can go at pool and what the limits might be, this is my yardstick. The absolute best pool playing I've seen in my life was about 10-15 years of Earl from his early 20's until his mid to late 30's. He wasn't just good, he was phenomenal. When he was on Earl looked like he was playing on a bar table, he so overpowered the balls. And then Jose Parica came along and played the game just a little better than Earl. The way they moved the ball around was somewhat similar, but Jose never wilted and Earl did.

Two others that I set apart are Efren for the amazing way he mastered the game of One Pocket. He took it to a level none of us had witnessed before. Then there was Wu from China. For a brief moment in time (8-10 years ago) he played a speed above the world. I watched him utterly dominate all the other top players. The only guy who took him down was Darren Appleton in the World Ten Ball finals, playing the match of his life. I wish to God that match was preserved somewhere for all to see.

There are many great players today who I'm in awe of, but the above stand out in my memory.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who knows what will happen to them in 5-10 years. Look at how great Ronnie Alcano was and he just about disappeared. I've seen some pretty damn good players come and go in my lifetime.

As far as how high someone can go at pool and what the limits might be, this is my yardstick. The absolute best pool playing I've seen in my life was about 10-15 years of Earl from his early 20's until his mid to late 30's. He wasn't just good, he was phenomenal. When he was on Earl looked like he was playing on a bar table, he so overpowered the balls. And then Jose Parica came along and played the game just a little better than Earl. The way they moved the ball around was somewhat similar, but Jose never wilted and Earl did.

Two others that I set apart are Efren for the amazing way he mastered the game of One Pocket. He took it to a level none of us had witnessed before. Then there was Wu from China. For a brief moment in time (8-10 years ago) he played a speed above the world. I watched him utterly dominate all the other top players. The only guy who took him down was Darren Appleton in the World Ten Ball finals, playing the match of his life. I wish to God that match was preserved somewhere for all to see.

There are many great players today who I'm in awe of, but the above stand out in my memory.
Jay, excellent insight. There are likely a number on here who might disagree with your statements regarding Parica compared to Earl, but I respect your expertise and opinion on that matter over most. Parica is certainly the most underrated great player of the past 50 years.

I just think so far, Filler has showed that same firepower that Earl showed us back in the 1980s. If he can stay motivated to continue to improve, concentrate on winning the big titles and maintain a level head on his shoulders, it will just be interesting to see how good this young man may become. Just curious, was Earl was a little eccentric 40 years ago, or has this just gradually worsened over the last 25 years?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, excellent insight. There are likely a number on here who might disagree with your statements regarding Parica compared to Earl, but I respect your expertise and opinion on that matter over most. Parica is certainly the most underrated great player of the past 50 years.

I just think so far, Filler has showed that same firepower that Earl showed us back in the 1980s. If he can stay motivated to continue to improve, concentrate on winning the big titles and maintain a level head on his shoulders, it will just be interesting to see how good this young man may become. Just curious, was Earl was a little eccentric 40 years ago, or has this just gradually worsened over the last 25 years?

A good choice of words. Earl was eccentric back in the 80's and became more so in the 90's. Sometime in the late 90's and early 2000's he crossed over into mental instability and unbalanced behaviors. I'm not a psychologist but I'm not a guy in a diner either. I saw Earl up close and personal over the full duration of his career. That said, no matter what, his accomplishments at pool cannot be denied. There have been many troubled geniuses in all areas of human endeavor and in the end they are all recognized first for what they achieved and secondly for how they went about it.

Simply put, Jose Parica was the best rotation pool player I've seen in my lifetime and remained the best for a period approaching twenty years. People might ask, why didn't he win more tournaments? Actually he did win many tournaments, both big and small. The nature of tournament 9-Ball (Races to Eleven, winner breaks) levels the playing field somewhat among the best players, and there may have been a dozen or more who were only slight underdogs playing Parica in matches like this. He may beat some of them or even most of them in any one tournament, but even he could not beat all of them all of the time. Now in a money game setting (like ten or fifteen ahead) where the differences in skill are more likely to show up, he did beat all of them, over and over until they gave up, Strickland included.

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I came to the Facebook live late last night, I missed Aranas and Filler playing but they did show Pia and a local guy Matt playing some one pocket afterwards and then filler playing Matt as well. I don’t know if they’ll do that tonight but just a heads up in case anyone wants to watch. It was cool watching josh coach pia as she was playing 1p

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay H

Then there was Wu from China. For a brief moment in time (8-10 years ago) he played a speed above the world. I watched him utterly dominate all the other top players. The only guy who took him down was Darren Appleton in the World Ten Ball finals, playing the match of his life. I wish to God that match was preserved somewhere for all to see.

https://youtu.be/NA54pkI_lPg

Si or no?

Buster Jones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay,

As always, thanks for your insights, opinions, etc. You are one of the few people with insights into "inner happenings and workings" of the pool world that will come here and share with us. And not make us feel foolish when we differ in opinion or make foolish comments.

I've always heard that that my favorite player, Efren, never beat Parico for the money. Or in finals of any tournament. Is that try?

DJ

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then there was Wu from China. For a brief moment in time (8-10 years ago) he played a speed above the world. I watched him utterly dominate all the other top players. The only guy who took him down was Darren Appleton in the World Ten Ball finals, playing the match of his life. I wish to God that match was preserved somewhere for all to see.

Si or no?

I second that Sir !
But hes from china not china , hes just holding a china passport due to political reasons.
Prob one of the greatest that ever held a cue along the ranks of efren and earl.
Won the world 9ball grail at 16, world 8ball title at 17 and finish second to Darren in the world 10 the same or following year.
Got diagnosed for leukemia at 21 took a break from the sport and came back winning a few major china opens w massive prizes and finished 2nd to filler in the first US open he took part in .
Seems that dude chooses to win when he feels like it lol

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Si or no?

YES, very cool. Watch this match!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay,

As always, thanks for your insights, opinions, etc. You are one of the few people with insights into "inner happenings and workings" of the pool world that will come here and share with us. And not make us feel foolish when we differ in opinion or make foolish comments.

I've always heard that that my favorite player, Efren, never beat Parico for the money. Or in finals of any tournament. Is that try?

DJ

I wouldn't say never, particularly in tournaments. I wouldn't be surprised if he never beat him in a final match though. That I don't know. In the Philippines, Parica was The Man (Amang) for many years when Efren was in his prime.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

I got to witness one tournament finals match between these two legendary players, at Hollywood Billiards in Los Angeles. Parica won 13-4.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Jay,

DJ

Efren beat Parica for the cash at Lucky 13 playing rotation before Jose left for the states .
Efren beat Jose in the semi-finals of the 1997 US Open. Efren went to the finals against Earl. Not Efren's fault he beat Jose before he got to the finals.
Efren beat Jose in one-pocket tournaments as well.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
Efren beat Parica for the cash at Lucky 13 playing rotation before Jose left for the states .
Efren beat Jose in the semi-finals of the 1997 US Open. Efren went to the finals against Earl. Not Efren's fault he beat Jose before he got to the finals.
Efren beat Jose in one-pocket tournaments as well.

Who did Efren never beat?
My guess, nobody.