roll call...only those that have been here 10+ years.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
14 years March 2003, #95
before that, AZ old format,
CCB member since 1998
RSB member since 1996

12 years in May for the One Pocket.org site

Last edited:

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice table ! I have one just like it (assuming your is a 9'er). Any chance you picked that up in Hudson Bay Sask ?

Dave
Nope. It came out of Garry's pool hall in wpg after they closed about 10 yrs ago. It is a 9'. They are tanks

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Nope. It came out of Garry's pool hall in wpg after they closed about 10 yrs ago. It is a 9'. They are tanks

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I considered the Dufferin Challenger as legitimate competition for Gold Crowns when
they first hit the market.
They originally had free-floating slate , like a snooker table, but that was easily fixed
by billiard mechanics with power drills.

Unfortunately, the pocket cut resembles older GCs...big pockets that spit balls out at a speed.

If you ever need to re-rubber, get the pockets cut ala Diamond-RKC specs....
...the table will be dynamite.
Dufferin considered the Challenger 'overbuilt'...which is good for the owners.

This thread has made me realize that I've been a reader of this site longer than I thought...
...I remember reading it as Arizona Billiards....for the current news instead of waiting for the mags.
....so maybe that makes me an AZ old timer?

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I considered the Dufferin Challenger as legitimate competition for Gold Crowns when
They originally had free-floating slate , like a snooker table, but that was easily fixed

Unfortunately, the pocket cut resembles older GCs...big pockets that spit balls out at a speed.

"spit balls out at speed" :mad: Yep that's my table :eek::grin-square: ... and it is a tank ... I moved it and did the basic assembly myself.

So old-timer, I have a question. I know these tables as Dufferin Challengers, but when a good friend first saw it he said it was an "OBS" (Ontario Billiard Supply). May the good folks at Dufferin bought OBS for their tables ? Ring any bells ?

The bar in Hudson Bay Sask bought a bunch of these from a failed pool hall in Saskatoon. I think originally he bought something like 12 x 9'ers, 8 x 8'ers, and maybe 4 12 foot snooker tables. It was a great deal for $1000 (Canadian, so about a buck fifty US ;) ). New rubber and new cloth and it plays great.

Dave

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
"spit balls out at speed" :mad: Yep that's my table :eek::grin-square: ... and it is a tank ... I moved it and did the basic assembly myself.

So old-timer, I have a question. I know these tables as Dufferin Challengers, but when a good friend first saw it he said it was an "OBS" (Ontario Billiard Supply). May the good folks at Dufferin bought OBS for their tables ? Ring any bells ?

The bar in Hudson Bay Sask bought a bunch of these from a failed pool hall in Saskatoon. I think originally he bought something like 12 x 9'ers, 8 x 8'ers, and maybe 4 12 foot snooker tables. It was a great deal for $1000 (Canadian, so about a buck fifty US ;) ). New rubber and new cloth and it plays great.

Dave

Yes, David, I remember Al Selinger wondering if he wanted OBS in foreign hands....
....so he bought it.
Along with the Dufferin Gameroom stores.....he became a little two busy....
...he told me that he wished he had just stayed in the cue business.

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This thread has made me realize that I've been a reader of this site longer than I thought...
...I remember reading it as Arizona Billiards....for the current news instead of waiting for the mags.
....so maybe that makes me an AZ old timer?

You are right on the money.
When I bought mine I had new Simonis 860 put on it and had the pockets shimmed. Unfortunately I was unaware of the angle of the cut at the time. I will absolutely get the pocket angles changed when I have it re-done. Other than that it is a great table but man is it frustrating to have them spit out well hit shots.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since there's no room for truth or facts on the internet I'll go ahead and say I've been here for 10 years. I spend majority of my time in the action room.

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
13+ years of stagnantness

Join date 08-05-2003
Total Posts: 518
Posts Per Day: 0.11

Totally killing it...

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Yes, David, I remember Al Selinger wondering if he wanted OBS in foreign hands....
....so he bought it.
Along with the Dufferin Gameroom stores.....he became a little two busy....
...he told me that he wished he had just stayed in the cue business.

I understand that now they are back to only the wood business, where they started. I hope they have continued success. Back in the day we had 2 Dufferin Gameroom stores in little Saskatoon. And still today many Dufferin tables (Titans and wooden-railed-open-pocket models) around here in pool rooms.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated !

Dave

mr8ball

I still do every now and then. FB seems to be where most of the news is as soon as it happens with a lot of streaming as well. Open Billiards seems to be the best place to sell things anymore. At one time A Z had to many arguments going on. Every time someone would post it was always so much negativity I just got tired of it all. I am hoping it has changed but I guess I'll have to come back and look around a little to see.Hope everyone is well.

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
still hanging around. I may not post much anymore but AZ is still a great source of info.