Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Would you play this break ball?
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-24-2017, 08:22 AM

Dear PT

why would you want to play a superior player?

those are the guys who rob me

dean

Old
  (#17)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-24-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
Dear PT

why would you want to play a superior player?

those are the guys who rob me

dean
If youíre in a tournament, Dean, your opponent is not of your choosing....
...you might in fact be a 5-1 underdog....but that means you should win one in six...
...in actuality, that underdog might lose 20 matches in a row because of timidity.
.....an underdog should play extra aggressive...he ainít gonna out move the guy.

In gambling, at 9-ball and snooker, I have given up some horrendous spots....and won.
...if the guy hadíve started blasting, I wouldíve had to quit.
..timidity has put a lotta money in my pocket.

Conversely, I have seen good players lose giving big weight, because they were too
anxious to get the balls off the table...when youíre the best player, you can force mistakes.

In reviewing this post.....I realize I sound like I know it all...
...could you lend me $4 for a sandwich?

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

https://www.facebook.com/skriptik/?ref=page_internal POOL PENS

Old
  (#18)
TR_Frank
AzB Bronze Member
TR_Frank is on a distinguished road

01-23-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
what about hitting the object ball off the rack.
Way too risky... if she's comfortable with that cut, then cut it absolutely. If she wasn't then she would have played safe. She's got some of the best safes in continuous.

Old
  (#19)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-26-2018, 06:32 PM

the shot itself is too thin for me
plus i lack the courage to shoot something this difficut

Old
  (#20)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

02-09-2018, 03:32 AM

The correct 14.1 play on this shot is a safety - unless you are not really serious about playing the game correctly. Every shot attempt or safety play in world class 14.1 MUST be in anticipation of a game closing run out by your opponent -if you miss the shot or play a bad safe. Your thought process is NOT that you are playing the present rack of balls on the table, like some other pool games; you really should be thinking that you are playing the entire match on each attempt in terms of strategy, simply because any world class 14.1 player has 150 point run ability at any given time. In this case, the shot % is probably 50% for a pro player, so you do NOT shoot it - especially with the rack breaking result if you miss! Two things to keep in mind- try to never leave the table to your opponent on a missed shot or bad safe, secondly, 14.1 is as much a game of " knowing what you don't do" as it is a game of shotmaking.

Old
  (#21)
Dan White
Banned
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemosconi View Post
The correct 14.1 play on this shot is a safety - unless you are not really serious about playing the game correctly. Every shot attempt or safety play in world class 14.1 MUST be in anticipation of a game closing run out by your opponent -if you miss the shot or play a bad safe.
Of course in real life where the rest of us are not playing someone who is a threat to run out at any time, shots like this can be a good proposition. If I can run through two or three racks at any time and I know my opponent really can't get through one rack and on to the next, I'm more apt to go for it.

It's not the wrong play necessarily, only when you are playing TH.

Maybe
Old
  (#22)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe - 05-07-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepepper View Post
And would you play it against Thorsten Hohmann? Jeanette Lee's got...
well...
guts! And skills. I didn't even think it went, but she actually overcut it!

Attachment 476005

Attachment 476006
It would depend on the score, also if it were in the beginning of the set and I had not hit many or not warmed up - I would probly play safe. Jeanette Lee is a great student of 14.1, I have seen her win several matches in a row against some of the best young talent there is today.

well
Old
  (#23)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

well - 05-07-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
The problem with that shot is you have to hit it so hard that a ball or balls with come out of the stack and hit the break ball.
Been there and done that.
And no I would play a safe.
Not trying to nit pick ya here measureman but if hit with low spin on the white (possibly losing whitey up table) the stroke speed can be relatively medium to soft. I think I would rather play it with a firm stroke and top spin on white however, never know for sure till I'm at the table.

Old
  (#24)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

05-07-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harriman View Post
Not trying to nit pick ya here measureman but if hit with low spin on the white (possibly losing whitey up table) the stroke speed can be relatively medium to soft. I think I would rather play it with a firm stroke and top spin on white however, never know for sure till I'm at the table.
If I'm playing a weak player I might go for it.
If I'm playing you I'm playing safe.
I like my chances of out safeing you than give you a wide open table to run balls.

Playng cue- Troy Downey
Back up cue - The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Still straighter than 90 % of all Meucci cues ever made
"Russian Magic Chalk- good enough to steal".

Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when I went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk, how strong is that?

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

No feer
Old
  (#25)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member

No feer - 05-07-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
If I'm playing a weak player I might go for it.
If I'm playing you I'm playing safe.
I like my chances of out safeing you than give you a wide open table to run balls.
I heard it's better to play the table than the opponent, I know that is easier said than done. I hope you would not want to lose to me and rather to another measureman. :-) I learned from Sigel that early on in a set if he had a 50/50 shot he would choose the conservative shot. Towards the end of set or tournament his idea was that he would play the shot, as if not ready to pocket that ball then - he would never be. It was good advice - imagine that a World Champion offering solid advice. (They left my $1,000.00 dollar cue and stole the Russian chalk) that IS strong and gave me a good laugh. Very good promo for the magic russian chalk Sir.

Last edited by Danny Harriman; 05-07-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Old
  (#26)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

05-07-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harriman View Post
I heard it's better to play the table than the opponent, I know that is easier said than done. I hope you would not want to lose to me and rather to another measureman. :-) I learned from Sigel that early on in a set if he had a 50/50 shot he would choose the conservative shot. Towards the end of set or tournament his idea was that he would play the shot, as if not ready to pocket that ball then - he would never be. It was good advice - imagine that a World Champion offering solid advice. (They left my $1,000.00 dollar cue and stole the Russian chalk) that IS strong and gave me a good laugh. Very good promo for the magic russian chalk Sir.
I started playing in 1961 in N.J. when straight pool was king.
There were tons of great and real good straight pool players around Jersey-N.Y. and Philly.
Most played a conservative type game.
I'm not going for a low percentage shot and you hit me with a 50 ball run was the thought.
If you want to run 50 then earn it by out safing me.
Then the straight pool game faded and 9 ball was the game.
As straight pool came back it was played by 9 ball players that would take more chances and played more wide open,at least thats the way I see it.
So learning to play that conservative style i had to get pretty good at safety play and still to this day believe I can play safe with anybody at straight pool.

And yes they really did still steal my last cube of Magic chalk,LOL.

Playng cue- Troy Downey
Back up cue - The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Still straighter than 90 % of all Meucci cues ever made
"Russian Magic Chalk- good enough to steal".

Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when I went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk, how strong is that?

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: