az 1 The_Daily_Journal_Fri__Mar_29__1974_.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 521
  • az 5 The_Daily_Journal_Tue__Apr_2__1974_.jpg
    az 5 The_Daily_Journal_Tue__Apr_2__1974_.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 607

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to google maps that pool hall is still there. Good for them.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The picture's caption refers to legendary referee "Cue Ball Kelly" as Charles Kelly. This was not his real name, but it was, instead, Carl Zingale.

First time I saw Hopkins and Martin was in 1976 at the PPPA World 14.1 Championships in Asbury Park, NJ, so this goes back even further than my days around tournament straight pool.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The picture's caption refers to legendary referee "Cue Ball Kelly" as Charles Kelly. This was not his real name, but it was, instead, Carl Zingale.

First time I saw Hopkins and Martin was in 1976 at the PPPA World 14.1 Championships in Asbury Park, NJ, so this goes back even further than my days around tournament straight pool.

Do you remember a little known N.J. player at that tournament named Ernie Lager?

62Stratus

Registered
Jose Garcia tops Hoppy in a 1975 match

Attachments

• az 5 The_Daily_Journal_Fri__Feb_21__1975_.jpg
    az 5 The_Daily_Journal_Fri__Feb_21__1975_.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 396
  • az 2 The_Daily_Journal_Fri__Feb_28__1975_.jpg
    az 2 The_Daily_Journal_Fri__Feb_28__1975_.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 392

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jose Garcia tops Hoppy in a 1975 match

Many of you 14.1 junkies (I’m one, too) have probably seen this excellent match between Jose Garcia and Jack Colavita. https://youtu.be/uYcqzRykLVo

Colavita won, but Garcia played beautifully and was on his way to winning but for missing a routine shot due, perhaps, to going a bit quickly and not giving the shot the full respect that any and every shot deserves.

In any event, what I find fascinating is how obviously (to my eye) and assiduously Colavita played break shots so as to avoid scratching. It almost seemed as if he was willing to sacrifice any reasonable probability of having a shot as long as he didn’t lose the CB. Rack after rack brought a soft break shot and his hope for something to become available. Of course, like so many competitors in so many sports, when a reasonable shot was not there, he acted as if he had been cheated. In any event, I do not view his break shot results as being a function of the old “slow cloth” and “balls that aren’t lively” story. He just babied the shot. Garcia stroked his break shots with more speed, and as you’d expect, he got more spread.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you remember a little known N.J. player at that tournament named Ernie Lager?
I do remember the name from the 1976 World 14.1 in Asbury Park and I'm sure I saw him. At the same event there was a player named Ernie Costa, and as I vaguely recall they were similar in appearance.

Here is the start of an item in the National Billiard News about him a year later....

Scan20200212.jpg

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do remember the name from the 1976 World 14.1 in Asbury Park and I'm sure I saw him. At the same event there was a player named Ernie Costa, and as I vaguely recall they were similar in appearance.

Here is the start of an item in the National Billiard News about him a year later....

View attachment 541157

Played a lot of pool with Ernie when I was kid.
Ernie was a sharp 50'-60's cat.
Always dressed well and drove a late model Cadillac.
He was not a top player but could still play quite well.
He was a tall thin guy.
Also had a nice Paradise cue.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

View attachment 541157

Ernie Costa of Brooklyn, NY was a very fine player who cracked the top 10 in the PPPA rankings once or twice.