clicky tip?

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Sounds great! You're not alone in noticing a difference in feel and sound. My tipping seems perfect every time, except for a tip that delaminated (not my fault - and that one sounded funny from the get-go!), I've never had one come off in 25 years. But even the cyanoacrylates I've tried, liquid and gels, didn't all feel and sound the same. Ironically, those modern gels that stay elastic (rather: rubbery) instead of crystallizing, even though the idea appealed to me when I first heard of them, the hit resulting from using them feels curiously "dead". So thanks for pointing this out! Now I can only hope I'll be able to get some of the white Gorilla, because I'm typing this literally residing in, and sending you…

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

David if you have problems finding the white then please let me know. I can always box up a few bottles & we can try that approach.;)

angldemn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like using the loctite ultra gel, never had a problem with it yet. Tip looks GREAT btw!

Thanks blackhawk. Loctite ultra gel is what I used actually per the recommendation on the kamui site.

For an update though, the clicking stopped after the second session at the pool hall. I play almost every night, and have had no problems.(yet)

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Thanks blackhawk. Loctite ultra gel is what I used actually per the recommendation on the kamui site.

For an update though, the clicking stopped after the second session at the pool hall. I play almost every night, and have had no problems.(yet)

LOL! Excuse me to be so blunt, but is this the first Kamui Black S you're playing? I've been using them for almost three years now, and most of them sound terrible when they're new, maybe for the duration of two to three practice sessions, after which they still don't sound like so many tips, but all right.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

stunshotDAVE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hint

Varney Cues - I realized facing the ferrule would be difficult, but I think I came up with a good way to do it without tools. I held the shaft upside down with my fingers against a piece of glass covered with 220 grit, and rested the joint side against my shoulder for support. I then slowly and steadily pulled the sandpaper out from under the ferrule several times until it felt like it was cutting the whole surface smoothly and easily(like a bevel on a knife).

pescadoman - I feel the glue is probably the problem. Generally cyanocryolate works better the thinner the layer you can get between surfaces. I did not account for the leather soaking some up.

Blue Hog ridr - If I had a space I'd already be looking for one. :thumbup:

And with you!
looks like you are very competent a this task, some refining will come with experience.
if you install a thin red liner while you do the initial tip, you can "face ] that material, not the ferrule. if done properly, it has zero effect on the tip. must use small lathe, by hand, not precise enough. use only lok-tite flex.[in a blue bottle from home depot] ,tip will not fall off PERIOD! the click is a minute air pocket. it interrupts the natural wave of energy flowing through the cue, making it audible. rather than the "sound", you are used to. very subconsciously distracting, during play.

to further enhance the bond and ensure even glue coverage, Very lightly score the prepared tip several times with a razor, not so deep as to raise an edge . do not touch surface with fingers before install.

by the way,"experience is something you acquire, after you needed it' Danny Deliberto.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
if you install a thin red liner while you do the initial tip, you can "face ] that material, not the ferrule. if done properly, it has zero effect on the tip.

That's what I've been doing again for over a year now, too, use a red pad such as offered by Atlas Billiards Supplies and others. Used to be a matter of course with the old water buffalo tips and ivory ferrules, today perhaps out of fashion because many layered tips have a harder glue-side bottom layer anyhow. But the pad sure improves the sound, and if anything, makes the hit feel softer in an entirely positive way.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
You do realize that you have actually entered the Dark Side by replacing your own tip and you are on the way to purchasing a lathe, etc, etc, etc.

I replaced a couple of mine and started searching for lathes about an hour later. Thankfully, so far I've been able to resist the urge but it's getting close.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I replaced a couple of mine and started searching for lathes about an hour later. Thankfully, so far I've been able to resist the urge but it's getting close.

Resistance is futile!

I had not heard about the Kamui's clicking before. I was shooting with a friend last night, and I noticed the clicking sound. He told me "Oh, it can't be a problem, it's one of those fancy Kamui tips." Now I know. I just got some for a customer, so I'll have to warn him about that.

BTW I asked my friend if he wouldn't mind telling me how much he paid for that Kamui to be installed - $35 was his reply - MAN, I gotta raise my prices or find a different set of customers!! (Ones with deeper pockets)LOL

Gary

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply, how serious is this? There was a small hole about a half millimeter deep in the top of the ferrule where I could see the tenon underneath.
Any time you install a tip and see the glue relief hole in the top of the ferrule is hollow, just squirt your glue into it until it is completely full, and then install the tip. Most likely that is where your click is coming from. Also crowning the tip with sandpaper instead of a utility blade can trap sand paper grit into the end of the tip and give a little clicking sound for a while. That should go away after several hours of play if that is the problem.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any time you install a tip and see the glue relief hole in the top of the ferrule is hollow, just squirt your glue into it until it is completely full, and then install the tip. Most likely that is where your click is coming from. Also crowning the tip with sandpaper instead of a utility blade can trap sand paper grit into the end of the tip and give a little clicking sound for a while. That should go away after several hours of play if that is the problem.

I was testing some things in the weekend. One of them was creating a clicking tip.
The click tip had a hole through the tip holder and under the tip Ø2.5mm .
The non click tips,(every other holder) do not have a hole under the tip.
I have since filled the hole with glue and will report back the findings.
Neil

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The filled in tip holder no longer makes a click noise.
Sounds the same as the regular tip holders.
Neil

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
David if you have problems finding the white then please let me know. I can always box up a few bottles & we can try that approach.;)

Haven't tried the white Gorilla yet, but speaking of alternatives, have you tried (another glue I may not be able to get, but read about elsewhere) Titebond (Type 1 PVA) for the purpose? Cheers!