Who is the GREATEST Living Cue Maker? *Take the test*

HighEndCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been interesting watching the results.
Some surprizes, but after adding the catagories of each participant the results are pretty consistent.
Best,
Ken

cfrandy

AKA: The Road Runner
Silver Member
There is only one person that did it all, and sold more cues throughout the world than all the rest combined...Richard Helmstetter!
BTW...He makes a better golf club too!

stunshotDAVE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Randy Mobley, nuff said. Tried true and delived. No excuses, you get what he tells you will get. Just the fact.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The last two who were on our Hall Of Fame ballot were Ernie Gutierrez and Bill Schick. They would have to be at or near the top of the list.

I would probably round out the top 5 with Richard Black, Bob Meucci and Thomas Wayne when considering all ten criteria.

But to be honest there are so many great cuemakers that it would be impossible to pick who are truly the top five.

Have to agree with you, overall. But you should see the febrile devotees on another thread that believe that the God, or Deity, of cuemaking is one single person, and no other.

As you have noted, it's others, it's close, and it's too many to be naming a Deity.

HighEndCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was just my attempt to show everyone that many different cuemakers have great contributions to the cuemaking industry.

Picking one is very difficult giving all the different factors. I believe this helped narrow down individuals own personel opinion.
Many Cue Makers have been great at different things, which I think we can all agree on.

Best,
Ken Kerner

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Great thread topic, Ken. It's hard to peel away your personal experiences, likes, & preferences when thinking about these answers, but we all should try. Didn't include any retired makers....not sure if I was supposed to.

1) Reputation - Ernie Gutierrez, Laurie Franklin (SW), Andy Gilbert

2) Playability - Dennis Searing, Dave Kikel, Pete Tascarella

3) Creativity - Thomas Wayne, Bob Manzino, Tony Sciannella

4) Execution - Tony Sciannella, Dennis Searing, Joel Hercek

5) Longevity - Ernie Gutierrez, Richard Black, Bill Schick

6) Customer Satisfaction - Ernie Gutierrez, Laurie Franklin (SW), Tony Sciannella

7) Body of work to date - Barry Szamboti, Ernie Gutierrez, Richard Black

8) Design/Technique that has evolved todays cues - Richard Black, Ernie Gutierrez, Bill Schick

9) Will/IS to make Hall of fame (since all GREATEST deceased have been inducted) - Bill Stroud, Thomas Wayne, Barry Szamboti (others mentioned above and still living already are if you're talking ACA HOF...several other will no doubt, as well)

10) Craftmanship (For the Hand made non CNC guys) - Ron Haley, Andy Gilbert, Bill Schick (believe all are still non-cnc, at least for the moment)

......ERNIE GUTIERREZ......

Last edited:

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These "best of" "Greatest" lists are always entertaining.

This is an interesting list for the cuemakers that are not mentioned.

In reality, unless you have seen, handled, and played with the best cues by all of the living cuemakers, it is impossible to answer the question or render an opinion.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Limiting to 3 in a few of these categories is brutally tough, if not impossible.

via Tapatalk

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll give it a go based on my opinion and knowledge

1) Reputation
Szamboti, Searing, Schick

2) Playability
Hercek, Mike Webb, Searing

3) Creativity
Thomas Wayne, Samsara, McWhorter(sp)

4) Execution
Searing, Webb, James White

5) Longevity
Ernie G(Gina), Szamboti, Schick

6) Customer Satisfaction
Hercek, Szamboti, Ryan(RAT)

7) Body of work to date
Schick, Ernie G, Southwest

8) Design/Technique that has evolved todays cues
Southwest, Thomas Wayne, ?

9) Will/IS to make Hall of fame (since all GREATEST deceased have been inducted)
Not sure who is in and who isn't

10) Craftmanship (For the Hand made non CNC guys)
Don't know who uses CNC and who doesn't

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
This was just my attempt to show everyone that many different cuemakers have great contributions to the cuemaking industry.

Picking one is very difficult giving all the different factors. I believe this helped narrow down individuals own personel opinion.
Many Cue Makers have been great at different things, which I think we can all agree on.

Best,
Ken Kerner

You had it right from the get-go.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If we were just talking talent. I think if David Kersenbrock had the same CNC training as the best of the modern cuemakers and the desire to put it to use, there would be one name at the top of the list and it would be his.

HighEndCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, whose name came up the most?
Wish I didn't add that line:)
As I said I'm not qualified, nor do I wish to speak for others.
I'm sure if you ask Cue makers personally who they respect and admire, they will tell you.

I believe there are several CM's that are great in many catagories.
As most have found out, it is very tough to come up with one name from some great cue makers.
Best,
Ken

Last edited:

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
I think there should be a qualifier.. you must have owned any cue you put on the list.

JV

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there should be a qualifier.. you must have owned any cue you put on the list.

JV

Well then, Cuetec and Players are the best makers!

I don't agree there should be that qualifier.

Especially for reputation, which in it's own way is best when you have NOT owned the work of the maker but have heard good things about them.

Actually I lied, I never owned a Cuetec and the Players was my son's. But I did like how it played.

If I went by what makes the cue fans drool, without even seeing any of their cues in person, I'd go with Gina and Szamboti that would match the most categories.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

JV

No. We do have eyes, we can see the work, design, quality, etc. We know most of them by reputation, customer service, and waiting lists.

And of course, if someone owns one of the upper tier guys, who do you think they are going to vote for? Not really a "bias" observation. Those that don't own them, have nothing to gain from mentioning who they believe is best. The entire exercise includes lots of opinion anyways, best hit, best look, best design, etc. etc.