2019 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beat the ghost in 8-Ball. Been playing lots of 14-1 and my game has improved. Beat the ghost 7-3 in the 8-BALL challenge. Was playing the pro version until I scratch on the break. Hope you enjoy.

YouTube
https://youtu.be/9ZkDD_03lB8

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beat the ghost in 8-Ball. Been playing lots of 14-1 and my game has improved. Beat the ghost 7-3 in the 8-BALL challenge. Was playing the pro version until I scratch on the break. Hope you enjoy.

YouTube
https://youtu.be/9ZkDD_03lB8

I play a lot of 14.1 & AR. I honestly feel that thise two games are the "teaching" games of pool.

I'll 14.1 for a week or so and then play AR for a week or so. Then, when I decide to have a free play day and play 9 ball, 10 ball or 8 ball, well, it feels like cheating.

14.1 and AR will help weak players (like myself) reach average to intermediate levels much, much faster than 9 ball, 10 ball or 8 ball games ever will IMO.

On the other hand, 14.1 and AR will take intermediate players to advanced levels and so on.

BTW, are you still considering a 9' diamond. It will be a different day compared to that beast your playing on, unless you order the 9' diamond with ~4" corners.:eek:

I'm so glad I grew up knowing 14.1 and the Philippino 61 (much like AR). I'm not world beater but, I'm a much, much stronger player than I would've been if I had not went headfirst into two of the best teaching games.

On a side note: everyone says 1hole is the best teaching game. Not IMO. IMO, 1hole is good for one thing and thats to put me to sleep.

Enjoyed the vid. Have a good day.

Jeff

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play a lot of 14.1 & AR. I honestly feel that thise two games are the "teaching" games of pool.

I'll 14.1 for a week or so and then play AR for a week or so. Then, when I decide to have a free play day and play 9 ball, 10 ball or 8 ball, well, it feels like cheating.

14.1 and AR will help weak players (like myself) reach average to intermediate levels much, much faster than 9 ball, 10 ball or 8 ball games ever will IMO.

On the other hand, 14.1 and AR will take intermediate players to advanced levels and so on.

BTW, are you still considering a 9' diamond. It will be a different day compared to that beast your playing on, unless you order the 9' diamond with ~4" corners.:eek:

I'm so glad I grew up knowing 14.1 and the Philippino 61 (much like AR). I'm not world beater but, I'm a much, much stronger player than I would've been if I had not went headfirst into two of the best teaching games.

On a side note: everyone says 1hole is the best teaching game. Not IMO. IMO, 1hole is good for one thing and thats to put me to sleep.

Enjoyed the vid. Have a good day.

Jeff

Yes, I put 2K down on one 3 months ago. I should have it in 3-4 weeks. Can't wait.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played 10-ball ghost 5 minutes ago on Livestream. I won 9-4. I have been busy last weeks and this was my only preparation to 10-ball Finnish Pool Tour next weekend. Bunch of pro players there. Still feeling good because I mainly been practicing my safety game last months. I was able to beat Makkonen last tournament on 7ft tables even he ran 7 run outs in alternative break format :D
Anyways here is video from stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNSmNJdCw-E

P.s We have to break outside of breakbox in 10-ball nowadays. EPBF rules. Dunno if they are on WPA too nowadays.

Last edited:

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a few months back I said I was going to do a 10 ball video and I actually recorded two but I was doing a lot of fishing at the time and never did upload either of them. Don't know if I accidentally deleted them or what but anyway I recorded this one a couple days ago.

https://youtu.be/tH3GbL9H7kI

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a few months back I said I was going to do a 10 ball video and I actually recorded two but I was doing a lot of fishing at the time and never did upload either of them. Don't know if I accidentally deleted them or what but anyway I recorded this one a couple days ago.

https://youtu.be/tH3GbL9H7kI

Can you post what your score was? I can then add it to the list. Thanks.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Found this random little pool hall by my house in LA called "the cue ball". No action and a perfect little ledge by the table to set up my phone so I figured I'd try to film a ghost session, which I've never done before. Wooden rack, breaking with a house cue (I mostly play one pocket and don't even have a break cue in my case atm), cool old diamond tables (9') with 4.5" pockets or thereabouts. My home room (Santa Monica HOB) has sub 4" shimmed gold crowns so it was nice to hit balls on some buckets for once. I was trying to race it to 9 but somehow miscounted the beads above the table and stopped at 8. I even did a dorky fist pump thing when I thought it was over lol. So I either won 8-4 or lost by forfeit depending on how you look at it.

https://youtu.be/f5lUbrnC2Ks

Edit: I played by slightly different rules than the suggested ones. I don't spot balls on a scratch on the break, and I don't count any early money balls (they spot up immediately after I shoot)

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finally got in stroke today after months of not making a dent in the ghost. I was up 6-2, and felt like I couldn't miss the whole set. Then of course the ghost takes over, and ends up beating me 7-6. I'm still happy with my performance, as this is the best I've done since last year's challenge.

Video link (sped up for my own short attention span...):
https://youtu.be/DYFzSfq6hTI

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Found this random little pool hall by my house in LA called "the cue ball". No action and a perfect little ledge by the table to set up my phone so I figured I'd try to film a ghost session, which I've never done before. Wooden rack, breaking with a house cue (I mostly play one pocket and don't even have a break cue in my case atm), cool old diamond tables (9') with 4.5" pockets or thereabouts. My home room (Santa Monica HOB) has sub 4" shimmed gold crowns so it was nice to hit balls on some buckets for once. I was trying to race it to 9 but somehow miscounted the beads above the table and stopped at 8. I even did a dorky fist pump thing when I thought it was over lol. So I either won 8-4 or lost by forfeit depending on how you look at it.

Edit: I played by slightly different rules than the suggested ones. I don't spot balls on a scratch on the break, and I don't count any early money balls (they spot up immediately after I shoot)

Good shooting. All good on the rules, they are only suggested, you can play however you like. Participation is king:)

Did that table leave black marks on the balls? I played on old diamond professionals pre-leather pocket dye days, and they never left a black mark.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good shooting. All good on the rules, they are only suggested, you can play however you like. Participation is king:)

Did that table leave black marks on the balls? I played on old diamond professionals pre-leather pocket dye days, and they never left a black mark.

I've played on a few myself and I don't remember an issue with marks. I've heard a few people say they did but, most say the opposite.

I wonder if it had anything to do with certain ball (brand and age) / chalk (brand and age) combinations?

BTW: Congrats on the most recent ghost race. It's weird how sometimes we can have the ghost down 6-0 going to 7 and end up losing.

I sat and watched Dennis Orcollo do the same thing or close. He was going to 11 and had ghost down 8-3 and ended up losing 8-11. If it happens to him and other top pros, well, we shouldn't feel bad at all when it happens to us. Regardless, it stings like hell.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good shooting.

At first I thought you said the GC's you were use to were 4" and then thought, hmm, a 4" pocket on a GC is about the same difficulty as a 4.5" diamond since the shelf is much deeper. Then, right before I clicked submit reply I noticed I misread and instead of 4" you said SUB 4".:eek:

So, yeah, if your use to playing on "any table" with sub 4" corners your gonna feel like your cheating when on any table thats got 4.5 or corners.

Jeff

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good shooting.

At first I thought you said the GC's you were use to were 4" and then thought, hmm, a 4" pocket on a GC is about the same difficulty as a 4.5" diamond since the shelf is much deeper. Then, right before I clicked submit reply I noticed I misread and instead of 4" you said SUB 4".:eek:

So, yeah, if your use to playing on "any table" with sub 4" corners your gonna feel like your cheating when on any table thats got 4.5 or corners.

Jeff

The tables at my normal room have deeper shelves than normal gold crowns in addition to the super tight shimmed pockets. They play magnitudes tougher than a standard diamond. They are the same dimensions as table 1 at hardtimes, which was also done by ernesto dominguez. They are pretty much one pocket tables, and are in constant use for 1 pocket action, but I practice rotation on them and when I get games I try to play on them. I'm pretty used to them now but most people are not, so when somebody new comes in looking to gamble and I play them on the one of the 3 front tables, they are typically pretty rattled by the pocket size :grin-square: