New aiming process "Striking Line Aiming" just introduced at the BCA Nationals 2012

vandgor

Registered
New aiming process "Striking Line Aiming" just introduced at the BCA Nationals 2012

My name is Gordy Vanderveer,

I've been playing pool for over 35 years, and full-time since 2005. Over the past seven years I've studied all aspects of the game; fundamentals, aiming, banking, kicking, practice routines, teaching / coaching, physical conditioning and mental toughness. I've learned how to make the changes it takes to play this game at a very high level.
I am a recognized PBIA instructor through Randy Goettlicher since Feb 2011. Great class by the way. Richardson TX pool school, I would recommend it to everyone!!

I developed these learning aids for "Striking Line Aiming" to help me and my students learn how visualize the shot and to aim using the contact point. There are 4 groups of shots / drills that you will go through to learn this process. "Striking Line Aiming" takes visual learning to a whole new level.

You will learn to:
Visualize the Cue Ball track.
Align your body to the Cue Ball track.
Address the Cue Ball correctly.
Work on fundamentals; stance-cradle-bridge-elbow-staying down.
Visualize the Striking Line.
Troubleshoot your game.
Execute a stop shot.

Each drill / workshop will have;
Drill requirements: things you will need to have completed before starting that drill.
Purpose: what your trying to learn when shooting the drill. Read before every practice session.
Learning aids needed: visual aids and items needed to execute the drill.
Suggested repetitions: recommended number of shots to shoot during that drill / session.
Table set up: how to set the table up to shoot the drill.
Shot instructions: specifics on how to shoot the drill.

Striking Line Aiming set consists of (see picture below): long track, short track, floor track, two training balls, 4 ball markers, adhesive putty, extra clock tape, striking line trainer, striking line trainer template, user guide and a tube to transport templates.

Below are a few pages out of the user guide explaining how you'll use some of the "Striking Line Aiming" learning aids. You will learn how to check and correct your alignment. If your alignment isn't straight you can't shoot the cue ball straight down the cue ball track at the object ball.

If your interested in learning more about me and this product, go to: www.slaiming.com

Thanks for your time,
Gordy Vanderveer
Recognized PBIA Instructor

Attachments

• 125_0103.jpg
    125_0103.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 3,674
  • AZpg2 6-7.jpg
    AZpg2 6-7.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 3,165
  • AZworkshop PG3.jpg
    AZworkshop PG3.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 3,224
  • AZnew4.jpg
    AZnew4.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 3,146
  • AZsummarypg5.jpg
    AZsummarypg5.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 3,263
Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Gordy--

This looks a lot like Billie Billing's "Whiz Wheel" or the Babe Cranfield arrow.

Can you explain how your product is different and how it's more beneficial than the above aiming templates?

Thanks --

Dave

vandgor

Registered
Dave,

Go to my blog for a quick video of my product.

It's different than most because it can check and correct your alignment to the shot by moving your back foot.

All my life everyone has told me to aim at the contact point of the object ball, the problem is, how do you do that. This product teaches you how to aim using the contact point of the object ball.

E-mail me if you would like a copy of the user guide, it explains how all the learning aids are used.

Thank you for being the first to post a reply,

Gordy

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Just another gimmick.

How well does it do when you got to send the CB two rail to hit a object ball.

How come all example of these system are nothing but cut shots?

Some of my most recent wins was because I could send the CB one or two rails in order to hit my OB because someone played a safe on me.

So me how to use it on this rail first shot. The arrow can be placed at the OB to give you a real world aim point. Put the CB contact patch where the point of the arrow is, the OB will go in, if the arrow was placed properly. There is no better training aid than the arrow.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Just another gimmick.

How well does it do when you got to send the CB two rail to hit a object ball.

That's because this is an AIMING tool, not a kicking tool.

How come all example of these system are nothing but cut shots?

Because aiming tools are designing to help pocket / cut balls in and not kick, jump or carom balls in. They can assist with those, but it's not the primary function. Your example is like saying, "Yeah, that club might help you get out of the sand, but WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO WHERE YOU'RE HERE *INSERT PICTURE OF GOLF BALL TOUCHING A TREE TRUNK 280yds FROM HOLE*. Once again, you're not making any sense and you're knocking just to knock.

Some of my most recent wins was because I could send the CB one or two rails in order to hit my OB because someone played a safe on me.

So you knew how to align a kick and crash into an OB -- what does that have to do w/ aiming tools / aiming instruction?

So me how to use it on this rail first shot. The arrow can be placed at the OB to give you a real world aim point. Put the CB contact patch where the point of the arrow is, the OB will go in, if the arrow was placed properly. There is no better training aid than the arrow.

Just being curious--- where would you place the arrow for your own example? I have a funny hunch you don't know.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
You need the arrow to line up that rail first shot?

Do you think maybe it is time to take the training wheels off?

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry and with all due respect to the poster......lets not over complicate what we are trying to do here.

First off the shooter needs a starting point while standing. Then he needs to find the contact point on the OB. Then he needs to line up the cue thru the cue ball to strike the contact point with the cue stick. And then shoot.

Its a game

John

vandgor

Registered
I'm sorry and with all due respect to the poster......lets not over complicate what we are trying to do here.

First off the shooter needs a starting point while standing. Then he needs to find the contact point on the OB. Then he needs to line up the cue thru the cue ball to strike the contact point with the cue stick. And then shoot.

Its a game

John

John,

Thanks for the feedback, obviously this process isn't for you.
It sounds like you have this aiming thing down. Do you have a post that you've started that I can read to learn your thoughts on aiming?

If so please let me know where I can find it.

Gordy

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John,

Thanks for the feedback, obviously this process isn't for you.
It sounds like you have this aiming thing down. Do you have a post that you've started that I can read to learn your thoughts on aiming?

If so please let me know where I can find it.

Gordy

Hey Gordy,

Actually I use aiming techniques from several sources.

1. Pre-shot routine (standing) - Lee Brett - Jerry Besureth (spelling) chin lock. Perfect Aim for the eyes, various snooker players - stance (about 60*).

Aiming at the OB - I aim thru the CB (ghost ball) at the OB with my cue tip, I draw a line from where I want the OB to travel to the back side of the OB and then adjust my stance to line up with that line. My eyes actually do all the work, they tell me where to stand and where my grip hand needs to be to execute the shot.
The whole routine is actually in steps 1, 2, 3, 4. When practicing I am saying these numbers to myself to make them permenant in my mind. I dont think about all of this stuff in the field. I see the OB and where I want it to go and where I want the QB to end up and then shoot. When down in the shooting position my mind is a blank no thoughts what so ever.

2. In the shooting position - Lee Brett - grip and follow thru. Eyes square with the shot line - Dr. Dave.

After the shot stroke I stay down and freeze until I hear the CB strike the OB. This helps to quiet the body and mind and insure a proper follow thru.

I started playing back in '63 at the age of 15 off and on. I didnt get serious with it until about '92 when I got my own table. During that time I took 10 years away from the table. Two years ago I cleaned off the table and started practicing again every day.

The amount of work you have put into your presentation is excellent but may be a little overwhelming to a new student.
The student needs to be interviewed to determine why they want to learn the game. Pleasure or want a be super star. The student also will have to commit to some monster hours on the table for a long time. Possibly years.

There is no magic bullet.

A pleasure player isnt going to commit to the practice time needed. My oldest son is a prime example. We play one pocket. I loaned him some Grady Mathews tapes and told him to watch them and practice the shots, that was 3 months ago, he still has not watched the tapes.

I play the game for the joy of it and to reach the highest level of excellence that I can. I love watching the balls roll. My want a be superstar days are over but when my kids put me in a nursing home I'll need to be able to take off the old folks for some extra cash.:thumbup:

Pardon my long rambling post.

John

Last edited:

vandgor

Registered
Hey Gordy,

Actually I use aiming techniques from several sources.

1. Pre-shot routine (standing) - Lee Brett - Jerry Besureth (spelling) chin lock. Perfect Aim for the eyes, various snooker players - stance (about 60*).

Aiming at the OB - I aim thru the CB (ghost ball) at the OB with my cue tip, I draw a line from where I want the OB to travel to the back side of the OB and then adjust my stance to line up with that line. My eyes actually do all the work, they tell me where to stand and where my grip hand needs to be to execute the shot.
The whole routine is actually in steps 1, 2, 3, 4. When practicing I am saying these numbers to myself to make them permenant in my mind. I dont think about all of this stuff in the field. I see the OB and where I want it to go and where I want the QB to end up and then shoot. When down in the shooting position my mind is a blank no thoughts what so ever.

2. In the shooting position - Lee Brett - grip and follow thru. Eyes square with the shot line - Dr. Dave.

After the shot stroke I stay down and freeze until I hear the CB strike the OB. This helps to quiet the body and mind and insure a proper follow thru.

I started playing back in '63 at the age of 15 off and on. I didnt get serious with it until about '92 when I got my own table. During that time I took 10 years away from the table. Two years ago I cleaned off the table and started practicing again every day.

The amount of work you have put into your presentation is excellent but may be a little overwhelming to a new student.
The student needs to be interviewed to determine why they want to learn the game. Pleasure or want a be super star. The student also will have to commit to some monster hours on the table for a long time. Possibly years.

There is no magic bullet.

A pleasure player isnt going to commit to the practice time needed. My oldest son is a prime example. We play one pocket. I loaned him some Grady Mathews tapes and told him to watch them and practice the shots, that was 3 months ago, he still has not watched the tapes.

I play the game for the joy of it and to reach the highest level of excellence that I can. I love watching the balls roll. My want a be superstar days are over but when my kids put me in a nursing home I'll need to be able to take off the old folks for some extra cash.:thumbup:

Pardon my long rambling post.

John

John,

This statement is so...true, my wife always tells me, when the students ready the teacher will appear. Meaning until you get tired of the way your playing you won't seek out more knowledge or coaching of the game.

Thanks again for your explaination on the way you aim, I always like to hear about all the different ways people aim.

Gordy

Last edited:

JCurry

can I use my mulligan?
Silver Member
I studied with Gordy while he was developing this system. Here's my opinion on the 2 areas where I saw the most improvement in my own game.

1. Straight shots. That long track forces you to really concentrate on how accurate you really are (or think you are). Its really obvious if you're not dead straight and have the right amount of follow or draw. And realistically, if you can't hit a ball straight in every time how can you expect to make those tough cut shots?

2. The really thin cut shots. These were definitely the most frustrating for me. The last 2 cut shots are really thin and tough as hell. With enough practice, I was finally able to pull off those shots when it actually mattered in matches. Previously, I probably would have tried to play safe when confronted with such a thin cut.

Like most systems, it's not perfect. It's just another tool in your arsenal.

vandgor

Registered
I studied with Gordy while he was developing this system. Here's my opinion on the 2 areas where I saw the most improvement in my own game.

1. Straight shots. That long track forces you to really concentrate on how accurate you really are (or think you are). Its really obvious if you're not dead straight and have the right amount of follow or draw. And realistically, if you can't hit a ball straight in every time how can you expect to make those tough cut shots?

2. The really thin cut shots. These were definitely the most frustrating for me. The last 2 cut shots are really thin and tough as hell. With enough practice, I was finally able to pull off those shots when it actually mattered in matches. Previously, I probably would have tried to play safe when confronted with such a thin cut.

Like most systems, it's not perfect. It's just another tool in your arsenal.

Thanks Josh for your post,

Below are the two hard shots Josh was referring to. Both are 75 degree cuts to the corner pocket. You can see how "Striking Line Aiming" allows you to visualize the shot before you shoot it!

Shooting on top of these learning aids gives you instant feedback on your stroke that just hitting balls won't do. You will be practicing with a purpose at all angles 0 to 75 degrees.

These learning aids will fit on 7, 8, 9, 10 and 12 foot tables.

Attachments

• AZ 930.jpg
    AZ 930.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 3,882
  • AZ230.jpg
    AZ230.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 3,396
Last edited:

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
How much do these learning aids cost?
What is the material used to manufacture them (it seems plastic)? If indeed plastic - doesn't it affect the straight rolling of the cue ball when shooting?

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"The amount of work you have put into your presentation is excellent but may be a little overwhelming to a new student.

There is no magic bullet."

You are correct about the bullet & the Cue Ball must be the bullet. After the bullet is gone, it's on it's own.

Mr VandeVeer, the PBIA Instructor/Inventor, has found a way to turn our haphazard QuikDraw Shooting techniques into something akin to Bench Shooting, which is precision shooting. His presentation in Las Vegas did NOT deter a single customer, in fact he had to turn away customers, because of time constraints.

For those of you that don't like Mr VandeVeer's Striking Line Aiming Tool, his product may not be for you. I found the product to be a worthy endeavor to manufacture & a good Tool to train with. I used the long track for 3 days & Happy Days were here again. I give the product a thumbs Up... Good Luck Gordy

Last edited:

freedog69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This sounds like exactly what I need. I have major issues with alignment and cannot seem to fix the issue. How much is this system and how do I get it? Thanks

vandgor

Registered
"The amount of work you have put into your presentation is excellent but may be a little overwhelming to a new student.

There is no magic bullet."

You are correct about the bullet & the Cue Ball must be the bullet. After the bullet is gone, it's on it's on.

Mr VandeVeer, the PBIA Instructor/Inventor, has found a way to turn our haphazard QuikDraw Shooting techniques into something akin to Bench Shooting, which is precision shooting. His presentation in Las Vegas did NOT deter a single customer, in fact he had to turn away customers, because of time constraints.

For those of you that don't like Mr VandeVeer's Striking Line Aiming Tool, his product may not be for you. I found the product to be a worthy endeavor to manufacture & a good Tool to train with. I used the long track for 3 days & Happy Days were here again. I give the product a thumbs Up... Good Luck Gordy

Thanks Charley for the kind words.

Straight alignment is one of the most important things needed to shoot the cue ball straight to your intended target. Straight alignment will help with all aiming systems.

When you can visualize the cue ball track from the table to the floor, then you can place your back foot on it (floor track) the same way every time and have consistent alignment with your body, eyes and cue stick to the shot every time.

Attachments

• AZ align to the shot.jpg
    AZ align to the shot.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 947
Last edited:

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
I want to get one, where do I go?

Thanks
Srini

I have the same question. A tool to see the striking line would be perfect for teaching my wife and daughter to play. How much and how do you order?

caedos

a.k.a. Maestro
Re: Striking Line Aiming

Hello!
I've been lurking on this thread for many days now, watching the feedback and questions come in for Gordy and the board at large. I rarely comment on the boards anymore, because the regular posters and the archives do an amazing job of addressing almost everything that is billiards. This thread, however, is addressing something that is a very new twist with some new pieces added to some very old themes. Before I comment further, in the interests of full disclosure: I was very active with Gordy while he developed this training system, I wholeheartedly agree with what this system aims (pun intended) to accomplish, and finally -- I tend to support any product that does more good than harm in improving a player's game... and this product provides tons of good training.
-- I like working on stop shots with "Striking Line Aiming" because I have no trouble with straight (0-degree) shots, but using Gordy's "Striking Line Aiming" tools has helped me improve my true stop shot (no ball spin in any direction, with just a sweet-looking stopped cue ball).
-- Using the template and the red dot object ball (yes, a basic 6oz. cue ball with a red dot), I am much better able to work on thin cuts and better able to differentiate 80-Deg, 85-Deg and thinner cuts so I can decide my cost/benefit when making a shooting decision.
-- I am able to combine many other aiming tools and systems with this one to reinforce my shooting decisions. As a Master Instructor, one of the most challenging things I face with students is aiming because I can not see through their eyes with their level of maturity or mindset. I put it in the same category as the rhetorical "is the color green that you see the same color green I see?". Gordy's product does a magnificent job of creating a common communication for training information that is easily understood and applied. No matter the difficulty a person may have when making a shot with a given angle, speed and spin -- "Striking Line Aiming" provides the shooter with the tools to really know what to look for and what their choices are for trying to get better.
-- When trying to improve a pool game, many players will change one or more things in their game and if they don't like the results they may not know how to get back to doing things the way they did them before implementing the changes they now want to recant. "Striking Line Aiming" is good about providing a way to change one thing at a time in such a way that a shooter can retrace their steps if they want to reverse a change or try something different to make side-by-side comparisons.
-- "Striking Line Aiming" has many components that are similar and identical to other tried and true methods and systems. That is good; it mean's that Gordy is not going out of his way to "re-invent the wheel". What makes "Striking Line Aiming" great is the physical product and the manner in which Gordy has instilled his vision into how this system is laid out, explained, and executed.
-- In most products I have reviewed (which is in the hundreds), I find that a developer is usually heavily biased by whatever their inspirational moment(s) did to their interpretation of the object of their focus. In this case, it appears to be Gordy's development of how he addresses and aims a shot. What puts Gordy in the minority for me, to his great credit, is that he kept an open mind about what the best product could be for a student of the game. He read, went to schools and lessons. He consulted with players, instructors, coaches, manufacturers, and writers -- and in all the aforementioned categories he found these people in and outside of the billiards world to produce something that will stand the test of time with almost every conceivable student willing to take the time to work the learning process.
-- My final tidbit is that I appreciate that he built this product to last. With just a few important product care requirements, this product can last long enough to support a player for years and probably be handed down to another player or family member. It is not like a light bulb that could be built to last forever but is built to maximize long term sales. I hope Gordy sells a million of them. The one I have will be the only one I will ever need.

Respectfully,

Carl Oswald, BSN, RN, PBIA-MI
Dallas, TX