Schmidty back at it, this time in CA

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That’s about the same percentages that Jimmy Moore told me, decades ago.

Good to hear of the consistent results, pt. In his Play Your Best Straight Pool book, Phil Capelle reports these results from "over 2,000 shots by leading professionals" -- 77.6% head, 13.8% side, 8.6% foot. So in those two long runs of John's, he used the side and foot pockets just a little bit more than did the players in Phil's numbers.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is hi-run record on 5 X 10 ???

Pretty sure it’s 420 by Babe Cranfield

From a couple months ago:

Irving Crane set the exhibition record of 309 on a 10-footer in 1939. Mosconi tied it in 1945.

[Info from Mosconi's autobiography.]

But here is a list that includes an item about Babe Cranfield running 420 on a 10-footer: http://www.thehypertexts.com/Pool Billiards record high runs.htm.

"Arthur "Babe" Cranfield, straight pool, 420 balls, in Syracuse on a 10' table, before a sizeable audience, per George Fels"

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm still predicting that John sets the record one of these days. Wish him luck.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I know about Cranfield's 420 on a 10-footer. Have to wonder whether this is stronger than his run of 768 on a 9 footer.
So I assume Cranfield's run of 768 on a 9-foot table was not witnessed and documented? If so, it why is Mosconi's 526 considered as the record? I would say a run of 420 on a 10 footer is every bit as impressive as 768 on a 9-footer, assuming equivalent sized pockets on both.

4pointer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
all my respect to the past champions :

mosconi , euphemia and cranfield ...

john schmidts 464 is the undisputed world record on a 9 foot table .

because we all have seen it !!!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I assume Cranfield's run of 768 on a 9-foot table was not witnessed and documented? If so, it why is Mosconi's 526 considered as the record? I would say a run of 420 on a 10 footer is every bit as impressive as 768 on a 9-footer, assuming equivalent sized pockets on both.
The record is for an exhibition high run. It has to be announced. You have to allow the public to attend. You have to have an opponent. After the fact, there has to be documentation. Mosconi's 526 run had all of those. Cranfield's 768 was, evidently, a practice run in his home room. Eufemia's run (625) evidently did not have enough documentation to show that it satisfied the requirements.

Related to which, a bio in Pool & Billiard in 2005 states that Babe had more than 35 runs over 400. Strangely, the article does not mention the 420 on a 5x10.

4pointer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you must have an opponent , didnt know that .
ive said euphemia because some years ago this run were in the guiness world record book .
if these are the rules for an official world record, then it never can be broken .
thanks mr jewitt .
best regards

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
all my respect to the past champions :

mosconi , euphemia and cranfield ...

john schmidts 464 is the undisputed world record on a 9 foot table .

because we all have seen it !!!

Engert's 491 was witnessed, too.

4pointer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there is no better way to proof a performance , as to bring it on film .
everybody can see it .
i dont care about the rules ,because they are very old and need an update .
and it seems to me that there is no official world record on a 9 footer .

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone really even have rules for straight pool high runs? I always thought we just go by what was ran and Mosconi's 526 is apparently the highest ever officially documented.

This whole 8 foot, 10 foot, 15 foot, 5 foot table stuff is just that, stuff. Does anyone really care?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone really even have rules for straight pool high runs? I always thought we just go by what was ran and Mosconi's 526 is apparently the highest ever officially documented.

This whole 8 foot, 10 foot, 15 foot, 5 foot table stuff is just that, stuff. Does anyone really care?
There has been quite a lot of discussion about what constitutes a record-worthy run. I know of no official, written requirements.

The is no longer any records committee and no pool governing body seems to be interested in making one. When there was a BCA records committee, Mosconi's run satisfied the requirements of that committee and no higher run did.

People who understand the game do care about the size of the table. There has been a great deal of discussion of the details of the equipment.