Cue Tip Maintenance Tools

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member

Use a free wooden paint stirrer. Cut off about 3 or 4 inches. Glue a piece of 180 grit sand paper to o ne side of it. Then to dress the tip just roll it over the tip the same as you would do with the $40 Kamui tool. Been doing that for years. Don't need to do anything else. Always used a Triangle tip and have never needed to reshape it after the initial shape when installed.

Also carry a Willard tip shaper, but rarely use it. Team mates use it more than I do.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Another vote for the last4ever. Also Q-Wiz. I had never used Q-Wiz until I got a free one from Joel Pope when I ordered a last4ever. It does a great job of smoothing the shaft without taking hardly anything off - I normally just use the leather side.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
... tip picks ... if used on a layered tip it will de-laminate
This is not true. I have used nothing but layered tips (many different brands) for many years and texture them with a tip pik every day - with no delamination or any other kind of problem.

pj
chgo

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is not true. I have used nothing but layered tips (many different brands) for many years and texture them with a tip pik every day - with no delamination or any other kind of problem.

pj
chgo

I agree. A gentle picking (tapping, not grinding or twisting) from a Tip-Pik should not cause delamination. However, if you grind or twist with the Tip-Pik (as I've seen some advocate as a "faster" [read: lazier] method to "get the job done"), then yes, you take a chance of the Tip-Pik's needles grabbing the edge of a layer and pulling it up.

-Sean

Schwinn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Willard dime.

Been using Willard shapers 10 years. Work great to shape and scuff, last a long time before they dull and relatively cheap. I've had moori, talisman, kamui, no problems.

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the support

I appreciate all the last4ever support... spread the word :)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...I have used nothing but layered tips (many different brands) for many years and texture them with a tip pik every day - with no delamination or any other kind of problem.

pj
chgo
Sean:
I agree. A gentle picking (tapping, not grinding or twisting) from a Tip-Pik should not cause delamination.
I tap firmly as I turn the cue - maybe 20 taps to texture the entire tip surface, concentrating especially nearer the edges.

...if you grind or twist with the Tip-Pik ... you take a chance of the Tip-Pik's needles grabbing the edge of a layer and pulling it up.
I guess so, but I can't imagine why anybody would want to abuse the tip like that. It would tear up a one-piece tip too.

pj
chgo

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I tap firmly as I turn the cue - maybe 20 taps to texture the entire tip surface, concentrating especially nearer the edges.

I would think that's no problem at all. You're just piercing shallow holes in the leather surface, afterall.

I guess so, but I can't imagine why anybody would want to abuse the tip like that. It would tear up a one-piece tip too.
[...]

Lazy people, Pat. Tapping firmly 20 times is no biggie to most of us. But there are people who are impatient with even that modicum effort, and would rather do 3 or 4 quick twists of the Tip-Pik on their tip. (The Tip-Pik easily endures this abuse, because the needles are conical-shaped and packed together firmly. But like you say, it absolutely tears a tip up.)

-Sean