Warped Butt, Likelihood of Worsening?

RedBowTies88

Registered
Hey everyone.

I just bought a recently produced (2019) custom cue, but I bought it second hand through a FB group from a gentleman that apparently deals cues.

I received it today and the butt is warped. Not extremely, but it’s there. The shaft rolls perfectly straight and the cue appears to roll pretty straight when together.

I’m not really sure what to do. I like the cue and it seems to play well although I’ve only hit a couple racks with it. I’m afraid the warp could continue to get worse and get worse. I don’t know if I should ask for a refund or just accept it and hope that it’s condition stabilizes?

Here’s a link to a video of me rolling it. https://youtu.be/lWXxHX5iD8k

I understand that no one can predict what this particular cue will do, but I’m curious about what your experiences would lead you to suggest.

Thanks.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey everyone.

I just bought a recently produced (2019) custom cue, but I bought it second hand through a FB group from a gentleman that apparently deals cues.

I received it today and the butt is warped. Not extremely, but it’s there. The shaft rolls perfectly straight and the cue appears to roll pretty straight when together.

I’m not really sure what to do. I like the cue and it seems to play well although I’ve only hit a couple racks with it. I’m afraid the warp could continue to get worse and get worse. I don’t know if I should ask for a refund or just accept it and hope that it’s condition stabilizes?

Here’s a link to a video of me rolling it. https://youtu.be/lWXxHX5iD8k

I understand that no one can predict what this particular cue will do, but I’m curious about what your experiences would lead you to suggest.

Thanks.
I'd return it UNLESS it plays so good that you don't mind it. He should have told you about this pre-sale imo.

RedBowTies88

Registered
It’s not like I didn’t ask either....

It also has some small imperfections, little finish lift, but that doesn’t brother me.

I’m was just hoping I had finally found “the one” after extensive searching. Super bummed out that it’s not as I expected.

Attachments

• 0D6A7CD0-EDD3-4AC6-8451-1DFDD73D87AF.jpeg
    0D6A7CD0-EDD3-4AC6-8451-1DFDD73D87AF.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 391

RedBowTies88

Registered
It’s not “new” per-say. I didn’t buy it from the builder. It had been chalked and played with before I got it.

RedBowTies88

Registered
I’m not going to sell him out yet. I’m keeping the faith that it was an honest mistake, or maybe even it warped in shipping or something. Who knows. I absolutely was not a fan of how it was shipped, but I don’t really think that lead to any issues either.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i would contact the cuemaker.
tell him the situation
and ask him to look at your video and give you his opinion

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
First, if it's bad enough for you to notice, then Return it to the dealer/flipper as it is not as agreed upon. Second, contacting him first before posting is usually better as it gives the dealer a chance to make it right before going public. BTW, That is more than a slight lift of the forearm. If there is finish lift also, that will only get worse as time goes by. If the dealer says sorry, no way will he take it back.... contact the actual maker just to let him know that there are issues with a cue he just made. Most cuemakers would like to be informed privately, and he may like the chance to make it right even though he isn't obligated to you. Good luck with it.
Dave

RedBowTies88

Registered
First, if it's bad enough for you to notice, then Return it to the dealer/flipper as it is not as agreed upon. Second, contacting him first before posting is usually better as it gives the dealer a chance to make it right before going public. BTW, That is more than a slight lift of the forearm. If there is finish lift also, that will only get worse as time goes by. If the dealer says sorry, no way will he take it back.... contact the actual maker just to let him know that there are issues with a cue he just made. Most cuemakers would like to be informed privately, and he may like the chance to make it right even though he isn't obligated to you. Good luck with it.
Dave

Hi Dave,

I certainly didn’t want to or mean to throw anyone under the bus, that’s why I took the time to block names in the picture I posted. I hope I haven’t offended anyone as that’s far from my intention.

To be honest, this is really my first custom cue. I didn’t really know what to expect, and I don’t know if I’m overreacting to this issue or not. That’s why I wanted opinions of some folks here before I raised any alarm with the seller.

I tried to contact the builder on Facebook before making the purchase, but he hasn’t checked his messages. I do have a phone number. I guess I could give him a call and see what he has to say. I figured he isn’t obligated to me at all as I didn’t purchase it through him, but I can certainly see where you’re coming from now that you brought it up. The finished lift is very very minor. I’d I hadn’t been giving it a very very close look over I don’t think they would be noticeable. I’ll try to post some pictures.

Is this something that the builder could potentially repair? I was under the impression that once a cue took a warp that was it.

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Dave,

I certainly didn’t want to or mean to throw anyone under the bus, that’s why I took the time to block names in the picture I posted. I hope I haven’t offended anyone as that’s far from my intention.

You may want to try a darker marker next time........ :)

Keith

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Can you roll with the nose on the rail?
How is it rolling OK jointed with the shaft and not with the butt only?

RedBowTies88

Registered
You may want to try a darker marker next time........ :)

Keith

Sh*t! I didn’t even notice that on my phone!

Can you roll with the nose on the rail?
How is it rolling OK jointed with the shaft and not with the butt only?

If you roll it together the tip stays planted but it lifts ever so slightly at the joint. I guess it makes it less noticeable? I’m not home at the moment but when I get done work I can try rolling it with the collar on the rail. I don’t imagine that would yield any lift, but I’ll give it a whirl.

.................................................................................

I got in contact with the builder, Mr. Barry L. Moore.

Couldn’t ask for a nicer guy. Extremely friendly and helpful. He said he’s built fairly few cues this year and he doesn’t really remember this one. I’m waiting to hear back from the seller to try and establish a chain of ownership.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not going to sell him out yet. I’m keeping the faith that it was an honest mistake, or maybe even it warped in shipping or something. Who knows. I absolutely was not a fan of how it was shipped, but I don’t really think that lead to any issues either.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please explain what you meant by "not a fan of how it was shipped."

Cuemakers know how to ship, flippers, it appears, do not.

If it was packaged wrong in a box for a few days, that could have caused it. It could have become damaged in transit as well.

Why allow all to believe it was workmanship while you refused to elaborate on shipping?

Please explain problem with shipping in detail, Thanks.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If it was packaged wrong in a box for a few days, that could have caused it. It could have become damaged in transit as well.

Why allow all to believe it was workmanship while you refused to elaborate on shipping?

Hadn't given that much thought, but dang that is very true, great point!. The general consensus is not to leave your cue in extreme conditions. When it is being shipped(depending on from where and how far it has to travel, and time of transit), it could possibly encounter heat and cold, then add in poor packaging, seems like a chance for something to go wrong.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hadn't given that much thought, but dang that is very true, great point!. The general consensus is not to leave your cue in extreme conditions. When it is being shipped(depending on from where and how far it has to travel, and time of transit), it could possibly encounter heat and cold, then add in poor packaging, seems like a chance for something to go wrong.

Are you and redbowtie the same person?

RedBowTies88

Registered

I never once tried to blame it on or insinuate bad workmanship. I’m very confident that is not the case at all. The Issues were likely caused by improper care under a previous owner, or possibly even in shipping, although it was only in transit for around 40 hours.

The shaft and the butt were both wrapped in a bit of bubble wrap, then placed in a rather large cardboard triangle box with no other packaging materials to secure them. They were completely free to move around in the box. I always use shipping tubes myself, they’re a whopping $2.99 at staples.

Are you and redbowtie the same person?

No, at least not the last I checked.

Uploading a picture of the box it came in.

Edit: photo keeps failing to upload. I’m sure you guys know what I mean when I say “triangle box” but I’ll try to upload the picture again later from a stronger network.

Last edited:

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never once tried to blame it on or insinuate bad workmanship. I’m very confident that is not the case at all. The Issues were likely caused by improper care under a previous owner, or possibly even in shipping, although it was only in transit for around 40 hours.

The shaft and the butt were both wrapped in a bit of bubble wrap, then placed in a rather large cardboard triangle box with no other packaging materials to secure them. They were completely free to move around in the box. I always use shipping tubes myself, they’re a whopping $2.99 at staples.

No, at least not the last I checked.

Uploading a picture of the box it came in.

Edit: photo keeps failing to upload. I’m sure you guys know what I mean when I say “triangle box” but I’ll try to upload the picture again later from a stronger network.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

You bought a damaged cue on faceflop, go snivel there about it.

You just told me that the way it was shipped most likely caused the problem. Don't stuff a triangle box with bubble wrap, it can cause a warp. It could have been crammed into an area during shipping and that could cause a warp because it was sitting in a warped position for 40 hours. Many things could have happened.

I ship with triangle boxes AND I use a PVC pipe inside that, you could jump up and down on the box and not damage the cue. Perhaps facefloppers don't know this but here at AZBiliards? It's been posted over and over and over again, that's why I say go whine on faceflop.

Last edited: